Author Topic: Clear Plastic Envelopes Review  (Read 4056 times)

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
Clear Plastic Envelopes Review
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
Clear Plastic Envelope Bags, A7 (7 7/16" x 5 1/4")

Description "These A7 Clear Plastic Envelopes fit greeting cards, invitations, and much more. Clear Plastic Envelope bags can be used as a package for your cards or as a protective sleeve. Whichever way you use these plastic envelopes, they do the job! A7 Clear Plastic Envelopes measure 7 7/16" x 5 1/4" when sealed. These envelopes are made to fit cards up to 7 1/4" x 5 1/4. Each Clear Plastic Envelope features an adhesive to seal the envelope." Amazon.com

Use: Sending envelopes, displaying envelopes, sample, or shop use keeping your envelope/card clean and free of dirt/fingerprints

Problem: When sending, the sticker stamps can easily taken off from the plastic envelope

I have sent quite a few envelopes this year, and notice that they always get dirt and damaged. So I purchased some Clear Plastic Envelope Bags, A7 (7 7/16" x 5 1/4") - 100 Envelope Bags for my Spencerian Class Letter Exchange. I sent 13 and had none of them returned. I think one that made it to CA was ripped.

For my holiday cards I wanted to use the clear envelopes again. I spent a lot of time on each envelope, so I would send out 10 at a time. I used an outside postage pickup box. Everything was going good, until three domestic address came back with the stamp stolen and black marker saying to add postage.

I posted this problem on the forum here and Michael said to use super glue and maybe that would help the thievery. It seemed to help, but you could still possibly take off the stamp, but it couldn't be used again.

One made it to Germany, but the plastic envelope was gone with the postage (I am glad they didn't return in to the US). Another plastic envelope going to WA in the US was stolen, then returned to me with very large marker writing saying postage due.

All in all, I sent about 93 envelopes out and I had 4 returned. So a 4% error

I will probably use them again.

I was thinking they would be great for craft shows, samples and presents. They were $0.09 each, so very cheap for the job well done.

Please note, that using the clear envelopes does require extra postage:

Letter-size mail pieces are considered non-machinable and subject to a non-machinable surcharge if they are polybagged, polywrapped, or enclosed in any plastic material. This does not apply to bulk mailers or flats. Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics in DMM 101.1.2 are subject to a $0.21 nonmachinable surcharge per piece.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:24:07 PM by AmyNeub »

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
Re: Clear Plastic Envelopes Review
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
Amy--

I recall you were going to add extra glue to the stamps to keep them on.  How did that work?

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »
Thankyou for the review Amy! :)
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:56 PM »
This might be too much hassle, but do you think the post office would allow you to add the sleeve after they had been individually hand-cancelled? I know this prevents you from just leaving them in the mail box for pickup. They might not even allow it anyway, they can be persnickety at times!

Gorgeous envelopes by the way--I'd want to preserve that beauty too!!!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Great review!

Letter-size mail pieces are considered non-machinable and subject to a non-machinable surcharge if they are polybagged, polywrapped, or enclosed in any plastic material. This does not apply to bulk mailers or flats. Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics in DMM 101.1.2 are subject to a $0.21 nonmachinable surcharge per piece.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »
Great review!

Erica--

What about glassine envelopes?  Extra postage?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
That's a good question since Glassine is technically paper. But I would say yes, they would require the surcharge. However, glassine is easily torn and the PO doesn't recommend it as an outside envelope for this reason.

If I use glassine envelopes, I put them inside another envelope.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
Great review!

Thanks! I am glad they sent them through. I guess I owe them a few dollars.

I added it to my initial review.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:49 PM »
Amy--

I recall you were going to add extra glue to the stamps to keep them on.  How did that work?

It seemed too, but I think you could peal it off, but the stamp wouldn't be sticky.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
This might be too much hassle, but do you think the post office would allow you to add the sleeve after they had been individually hand-cancelled? I know this prevents you from just leaving them in the mail box for pickup. They might not even allow it anyway, they can be persnickety at times!

Gorgeous envelopes by the way--I'd want to preserve that beauty too!!!

I guess I can try that. I will probably go to my little post office, than the main one I have. I will try it for the Valentine's Exchange.

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »
I found this link for some bags with the flap seal.  I have used this company in the past and have found them to be very pleasant to work with.  I thought it was interesting that this particular product explicitly says "USPS approved."

http://www.clearbags.com/5-7-16-x-7-1-4-premium-crystal-clear-protective-closure-bag-138x184-100-pieces-pr75.html
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign