Author Topic: Friend Emma Letter  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
Friend Emma Letter
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
This letter was written by my great grandfather in 1890. Does this look like Spencerian? It was so much fun to look through old documents and letters while at my parents' house in NH last weekend, especially now that I have an interest in calligraphy.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Friend Emma Letter
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
Yes! Wow, this is gorgeous! I grew up in NH and summered in Maine. Just found an old ledger with beautiful cursive. This is really special! What fun you must have had! Thank you for sharing!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
And oh my word! The contents of the letter! How funny and such a great historical peek at life back then! We now know that "painter's colic" was from the lead used in making the paint! And the Republican comment and closing sarcasm are so funny! A wonderful example of how times have not changed much! Such a treasure!!!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
@Sally Ellington Yes, that's Spencerian.  It's beautifully written!  That's a real treasure!

Janis

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:20:05 AM »
And oh my word! The contents of the letter! How funny and such a great historical peek at life back then! We now know that "painter's colic" was from the lead used in making the paint! And the Republican comment and closing sarcasm are so funny! A wonderful example of how times have not changed much! Such a treasure!!!

Thank you for clarifying that it is Spencerian handwriting. I wondered about "painter's colic"; thank you for that insight. I thought the Republican/Democrat sarcasm was hilarious. They did eventually get married, so I guess they worked out their differences. My parents have several letters written by this same man. They also have letters from someone referring to working on the Panama canal. Maybe I can post a copy of one of those when I visit next time.

And, I grew up in NH as well. Most of my family lives in New England. I prefer the warmer southern climate, but it's always nice to go back and visit.

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »
@Sally Ellington Yes, that's Spencerian.  It's beautifully written!  That's a real treasure!

Janis

Thank you, Janis. Yes, I am amazed by some of the written letters and documents my parents' have. Now that I know more about the actual styles, it makes it so much more fun to read them.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »
That's really beautiful (and funny) thanks for sharing :). I particularly love the 'Th' connection in Thursday on the second page, want to try that!

Offline Carbear

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
This is pretty amazing! The writing is beautiful and the content was funny. It must be nice to have access to a piece from back then. I love reading or seeing little tid bits of how life was.  Thanks for sharing.

Carollynn
Carollynn

Offline JazzyJess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »
WOW! How lucky you are to have something like this in the family! and so beautifully preserved, at that! Thank you for taking the time to post and to post such quality that we can enjoy the sentiment :)