Author Topic: Hi form the 'Old Aviator'  (Read 865 times)

Offline Old Aviator

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi form the 'Old Aviator'
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:09 AM »
Thank you for admitting me to the forum. Well I don't know if seventies is old these days, but....and as for the Aviator, I have had a private pilot's licence since 1972. I am a retired science lab technician, with backgrounds in electronics and air conditioning.
My grand father was a master watch and clock repairer. He also did a lot of engraving, his hand at copperplate was first class and his writing style beautiful. He interested me in the art of longhand writing. I have attended several calligraphy courses with some reasonable results. My thoughts are to look, observe, and try to glean some knowledge on how to beautify some of my attempts at writing. I do try to fit in a bit of practice in amongst doing antique car restorations as a hobby.
In case you wonder where I am, I am in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, the home of the Tassie Devil.
Rob.
l

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Hi form the 'Old Aviator'
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:30:35 PM »
Rob,

Welcome to the forum!  Tasmania must be a beautiful place to fly. 

Your grandfather must've had an extraordinarily steady hand!  If you have any photos of his engraving work, I know I'm not the only one who'd love to see them.

Cheers.

Offline Old Aviator

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:07:52 AM »
Hi Bianca,

Thank you for your kind words. I thought I still had a sport shield some where Grandfather had engraved, mid you he has been gone since 1990, and what was left of the shop goods have been dispersed amongst the family. I will check with them soon.
Yes Tasmania is renown for its wilderness and remote unspoiled forests great food and now wine and whiskey. To fly over some of the remote areas is a true delight and an absolute feast of beauty.

Rob.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:32:39 PM »
Hi Rob @Old Aviator
What a fascinating background! My grandfather had a private license too and used to have a couple of Cesna’s. I never got to fly in one though.

I have been fascinated with watches and clocks for a long time. It fascinates me that they can keep time. Truly a magnificent invention. I saw a gentleman who is a modern day watch smith and was mesmirized by his attention to detail. It makes sense copperplate engraving would go hand in hand for your grandfather.  ;D

Tasmania sounds beautiful.

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram