Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The first thing that springs to my mind is essential tremor.  This can be familiar - inasmuch as it has an assumed genetic component - and not necessarily neurological. 
Everyday Handwriting | Penmanship / Re: How do you deal with hand tremors?
« Last post by RD5 on April 21, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
This reminds me of a Ted talk I saw about an artist who specialized in pointelism and developed a shake, eventually a doctor told him to embrace the shake. There is probably more info if you Google it.
Technical Support & Feedback / Video
« Last post by Ken Fraser on April 21, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
How can I post  a short video MP4 clip?

Sorry, I've just realised that I already asked this question 4 years ago and got a perfect answer. I'm not very quick on the uptake!!
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 3
« Last post by Salman Khattak on April 20, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
@Diane Bennett

Diane - you are pretty much there. The next step is to get the slant of the 'q' and the 'g' to match. It doesn't need to be exactly the same but the 'g's are leaning to the right a bit while the 'q' is leaning to the left (i.e. more upright).

The eye of the 'e' is on the bigger side. It seems like you start drawing the counter shape from the waist line instead of coming down like writing an 'o' and then changing the stroke to close the eye of the 'e' 1/3rd of the way down. Drawing the closing stroke starting at the waist line forces it to have a curve that will result in a rounded shape. Think the counter of the 'j' stroke but at a smaller scale.

The spacing in 'gauge' is good except for the first 'g-a' being a bit too far.

One more try should cover this group for you.

- Salman
« Last post by Diane Bennett on April 20, 2018, 06:59:03 AM »
@Salman Khattak

Good Morning Salman.  Thank you for the previous feedback.

Current practice is attached.  I am much happier with this set especially the q and g.  I am a bit unsure of the eye part in the e, not sure if it is a little to big.

I am trying to amend the spacing, I think the tightness may be because my normal handwriting is tight, but I will work on this issue.

I look forward to your comments.

Diane
Exchange Tracking - Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz 2018 / Re: Received List 1
« Last post by Mabel on April 20, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »
Hi list 1,
 I have received the wonderful works of Pedro, Susan, Carollyn and Tara, thanks to all of us!!.
Gloria has thanked me for a message of friendship, thank you very much to Gloria, I'm glad you liked it!!
I would like to know if someone has received your my works.
I look forward to those of Gloria, Christine and Alice. I look forward to those of Gloria, Christine and Alice.
Best regards ;)

Tools & Supplies / Re: Favorite Practice Paper
« Last post by RD5 on April 20, 2018, 02:33:16 AM »
A bit pointless me recommending this as such, but I just have to share with folk who will appreciate...

At the weekend I had to pick up what is left of my dad's old stuff from his house as it is being sold (He died ten years ago and my stepmother is going into a care home, so I got the call and had to go to pick up everything that kind relatives packed up ready for me).  When I got it home, amongst the bits and pieces... a 1980s' electric typewriter, with spare ribbons, etc and a whole massive bag of 1970s/80s typing paper, including some Woolworth's 'Typing Paper' ad 'Victor Typing Bond'.  Am finding it extremely ink pen friendly for both FPs and dip pens!  Maybe because in the 70s there still were lots of people using ink..? 

As it's thin, it's perfect practice paper.  No feathering at all and very easy to see guidelines through.  I am determined to use it all!

I am guessing that as typing paper was often lightweight, it may be a bit different to many modern copier papers?  Totally wasn't expecting to find this amongst dad's stuff. But I will use it, as it will save my Rhodia and Clairefontaine and it is perfect for practice that only I will ever see.

Interesting, I saw some typewriter paper in a store recently, it may have changed, but it might be worth a shot.
Tools & Supplies / Re: Blanzy-Poure Sergent-Major Superieure No. 2500
« Last post by Cyril Jayant on April 19, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »
I just now won a bid on a box of unopened  "Sergent Major Superior" On  E-Bay.  It was for £13.40 Plus postages. When I was going after Baignol and Farjon French nibs, Just two nibs attracted me.
This S-Major pen and Henry Superior pen nib. I have got one H-Superior nib to try and see what it gives before I get hold of more of that nibs. :D

Are the old Blanzy Poure Sergent Major Supérieure n° 2500 nibs good for any particular style of lettering?   The 2552 seem to be in great demand and highly sought after, but I never hear anyone talk about the 2500s.   Do any of you use these nibs, and if so, for what kind of lettering in particular? 

Thanks,

K
Tools & Supplies / Re: Nib Review
« Last post by Cyril Jayant on April 19, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
This is great thread on the topic of  best and favourite nibs. It really helps for the New bees like me who are struggling and becoming curious to get into calligraphy.
As we begin in anything, we always get into the to trap of finding the best tools believing that help you to be better than learning to do some thing repeatedly in a learning process.
" TOOLS DON'T MAKE THE ART YOU DO"  :'( AGREE)

So I had found some very different Vintage nibs and was able to buy a lot of them at some reasonable price. Lot of nibs are very good quality and old new  stocks. So I spent some time to know what level they are and I have decided to use some when my level of writing get better. I have seen this Spencerian 40 Falcon as somewhat  demanding and great looking. There are other Falcon similar to this and Easterbrook and from other Co. had produced this same style in shape. It looks very majestic.... Baignol and Farjon ( French ) too had wonderful nibs and don't know if they produced the same Falcon nibs.
I recently acquired  Baignol/F Pens . They looks quite interesting.
Dose anybody can tell the modern nibs have more advantages than some Vintage nibs or vice-versa.. I think that helps us to  focus some points to add advantages to improve our experience in calligraphy.
I believe adding best tools to get best experience  and that is why I bought  a Spencerian N0 1 nib recently  for a higher price. :P

I recently purchased a box of Spencerian "Forty" Falcon nibs. I had one from the original set of nibs which I inherited, and it was quite nice. When the opportunity came to get a box of them for a reasonable price, I jumped at it.

Here's a quick review. I'm not comparing it to anything so I didn't use my regular comparison sheet, and thought I'd stick it in this thread for reviews. Hope that's ok.

Spencerian "Forty" No. 40 Falcon
100% Cotton Southworth Business Paper
Walnut ink
lines are spaced at 8mm

Hope you find this useful.
« Last post by Salman Khattak on April 18, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »
@Diane Bennett

The 'g's in the practice group are indeed very nice. The 'q' takes a little getting used to but once it falls into place you will have it - it is almost like once it clicks, it stays.

Spacing is good but a little tight. You might want to try giving the letters a bit more room to breathe - just a little. Consistency is more important at this stage so it is o.k. if you want to stick with what you have.

The crossbar of the 't' should be slightly longer - the one in 'talon' is too short.

The 'e' looks good but the closing part of the eye should be straighter. Start closing the eye only after you have come down about 1/3 x-height as if making an 'o' and make an almond shape for the counter.

Also, start squaring the tops and bottoms from this point on.

- Salman
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10