Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Introductions / Re: Hi! I'm Garima and I love calligraphy
« Last post by KristinT on July 16, 2018, 10:31:03 PM »
Hello Garima!  Welcome to the forum!  There are amazing resources here, including the people.  There's also a great Copperplate Tutorial hosted by one of the members, and he does an amazing job of critiquing practice and explaining techniques for improvement.

Glad to have you here!
Introductions / Hi! I'm Garima and I love calligraphy
« Last post by garima nanda on July 16, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm a newcomer at this forum so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Garima and I live in Arlington, Virginia with my husband. I work full time as an Analyst and spend most of my free time trying to get better at Copperplate Calligraphy. I started last year in November and feel that Calligraphy is more than a hobby for me. I have never been as loyal to any other skill besides Calligraphy. However, I'm facing a tough time right now when it comes to practice and I end up just holding the pen and not writing anything. That's where I plan to leverage this forum and looking forward to guidance from members of this forum. In case you are reading this, please feel free to say Hi  :)
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Rudolf Koch
« Last post by RD5 on July 15, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
I have seen some of Rudolf Koch's work, does anybody know of a good source to learn some of the scripts he designed?
Spencerian Script / Re: Spencerian Business Hand - Maine, c. 1886
« Last post by Starlee on July 13, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
That is a really neat M! They have an intriguing alternate 'e' as well. Very pleasing to the eye!
Spencerian Script / Re: Spencerian Business Hand - Maine, c. 1886
« Last post by Erica McPhee on July 13, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Oh this is lovely! What a find! Thank you for sharing with us. I spent all of my summers in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. I call it home no matter where I am.  ;D
Everyday Handwriting | Penmanship / Re: Childhood handwriting inspirations?
« Last post by mjgebhart on July 13, 2018, 01:23:03 AM »
Hahaha James, sorry to make you feel old. That's so interesting that you did the whole drill thing even then. There was absolutely no technique attached to our cursive lessons in 2nd grade. I can't say that's a bad thing--Palmer was a bit of a nut after all, but leaving 8 year olds to their own weird writing habits can't be the best thing either...

Thanks so much for reading and sharing  :)

I hope you never got smacked with that stick...
« Last post by himasf on July 12, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
That's awesome how you have a vivid memory of it. Really made an impact on you.

My fifth grade teacher had the best chalkboard cursive. I always wondered how he kept everything even and straight with no guidelines. It was like magic.

I remember being made to do oval drills in school at age 5. This was in the 80s. Everyone wrote Palmer cursive by the second grade.

My second grade teacher was one of those who walked around with a stick during handwriting class.  :o Wow, this probably explains why I hate doing drills haha! I never set out to make mine pretty. I've never been complimented on my handwriting while in school coz it really wasn't special. I stopped writing cursive at around 16 and my everyday handwriting looks worse and worse as the years go by  ;D

Man, watching him write was the best part of that class. I wish i had a picture of my 5th grade teacher's blackboard writing but this was before digital cameras.

God, I feel old. Thanks, Michael, haha
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on July 12, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
A well written and interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
I, too, was graded on penmanship in the fifth grade, the last year I was in a three room schoolhouse (grades 1-8). Mrs. Wilgroth wasn't considered old school, although she was probably born around 1900-1910--it was just the way penmanship was taught back then (1959). The start of a long journey.
More later.
Spencerian Script / Spencerian Business Hand - Maine, c. 1886
« Last post by mjgebhart on July 12, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
Every summer during an annual family trip to Maine, I stop at the giant Undercover Flea Market in Oxford, ME.

While browsing last summer I came across a ledger book with several beautiful samples of what I would call a Spencerian business hand. It's very compact, practical, and relatively "rapid," but the writer still took time to make some delicate shading and finely-formed capitals. I absolutely love the M in "Massachusetts."

It caught my eye immediately. From a paleographic point of view, I absolutely love seeing clearly identifiable scripts "in the wild." From a penman's point of view, it's just beautiful to look at.

Though most of the samples were not as fine as this, the book was not expensive and I still regret not buying it...

I'll be there in a week--maybe it will still be there!
Everyday Handwriting | Penmanship / Childhood handwriting inspirations?
« Last post by mjgebhart on July 12, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Hello!

Anyone here remember admiring a teacher or family member's handwriting and wishing you could write like that one day?

I used to love my mom and my aunt's consistent, legible, and very stylish penmanship (I still do!)

I also had a fifth grade teacher who wrote very traditional Palmer-style cursive, and she was a huge inspiration for me. Just to be clear, this was considered very old-school at the time (2001!)

I want to share a short reminiscence I wrote about 'Ms. Smith', and my quest for an A+ in penmanship (yes, she gave us grades for handwriting!) I hope you'll enjoy it.

https://www.inpursuitofpenmanship.com/blog/how-to-succeed-in-penmanship-stories-from-the-fifth-grade

I'd also love to hear your stories about how you learned to love handwriting.

Cheers,
Michael
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10