Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open/Active Exchanges / Re: 2018 Flourish Exchange List
« Last post by Bianca M on Today at 11:42:58 AM »
Yay!  @Inked botanicals and @Starlee I've set myself a reminder for later this year to create a Halloween exchange. 
Open/Active Exchanges / Valentine's Day
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on Today at 11:31:26 AM »
Hi Everyone,
As Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday, I can't let it pass without sending out a few Valentine's Day cards. If you would like to exchange valentines, pm me your address (and I'll pm you mine upon receipt of your address). I'll be sending mine out the first week of February if anyone is interested.
This is not an official exchange, nor is it part of the Holi exchange. As Holi is in March this year, I just couldn't let Feb 14 come and go uncelebrated.

( @Erica McPhee Feel free to move this post elsewhere if you like. I wasn't sure where to put it)
So excited to participate in this! <3
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: Resizing
« Last post by Diane Bennett on January 18, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
HI,

Thank you for your reply.  I finally managed to resize.  I'm not very good with things like that.

Regards

Diane
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: Resizing
« Last post by Inked botanicals on January 18, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
Hi Diane!

What I usually do is this:

I take the photo with my iPhone or iPad (or get it on dropbox to download to camera roll).
Then I use an app called Image size (but I am sure there are several other apps for the same issue).
The app is very easy to use, and it resizes any photo on your camera roll, and then saves the smaller one also in the camera roll.
Then you can use the smaller one to upload to the forum.

hope this helps!
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1
« Last post by Diane Bennett on January 18, 2018, 07:13:58 AM »
Hello Salman,

Thank you for the feedback yesterday.  Following on from that, I have completed another set of the letters and words.

I tried to pay attention to the loops in my J and also tried the pen lift at the bottom of the shade, which has helped in lessening the curve.  I made an effort to lift everytime (well almost evertime) and realised by the end of my practice I was doing it automatically.

I have changed the format to Jpeg as requested and I will be printing your guideline to use later.

Than you again for your time and feedback it is greatly appreciated and I look forward to your critique.

Regards

Diane
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4
« Last post by neriah on January 18, 2018, 05:19:15 AM »
@Salman Khattak Thank you for the feedback!

I agree with your comments, I only noticed "z" loop but wasn't sure what to do with it. I now see that join you mention, will work on that as well as blobs. I'll post another set of words, I find this refinement to be quite exciting :)

I have one question about ascenders - during the lessons you explain why we write them at 2 times x-height but I am not sure where should they start when you reduce x-height. If following traditional 3:2:3 than it should be half way between 1st and 2nd ascender lines. However, when I do that in smaller x-heights (4 mm) it looks, well, weird. And I am not sure is it just me being used on this lessons or am I doing something wrong?
Tools & Supplies / Re: How to thicken sumi ink?
« Last post by MrsS on January 18, 2018, 12:39:52 AM »
I leave the lid off my sumi and it thickens it, Zillers has an ink thickener but not sure if it only works on their inks (acrylic based I believe?)
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 3
« Last post by Sue W on January 17, 2018, 10:08:34 PM »
@Salman Khattak
Hello Salman, hope you're nowhere near the extreme weather I've been hearing about  :)

Thanks for the feedback on my first submission here we go with words added.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as always.

Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1
« Last post by Foxmorepatty on January 17, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »
Hi Patty,

Yes, like you I'm finding it hard to stop curving the bottom, but tonight I made a conscious effort to lift my pen at the end of the shade, as suggested by Salman and I found that nearing the end of my practice I was doing automatically. I still don't have it right, but I think the pen lift had improved it.  I did try to post it but I'm having problems with re-sizing the image.

I am a complete beginner with calligraphy, I am really enjoying learning copperplate, it's a beautiful script.  I will hang in there. 

Looks like you are doing great!  I started in September and used Eleanor Winters book a lot myself.  For some reason, my hand resist getting this as down.  I pray that this time it is ok.  But, I will keep working on it if not.  It is a wonderful opportunity to have Salman as a tutor. 

I take my pic with my iPhone, then email it to myself, where I have the chance to resize it.  I pin the paper up on my quilting design wall so I can get a straight on-ish image.  Where in the UK are you?  My husband went to publlic school in Darbyshire. 

Have you discovered https://www.scribblers.co.uk?  Seems to be a supplier of choice for calligraphy items in UK.  I ordered some watercolors from them that are hard to find here.  They were fast!  Best to you!

Regards

Diane
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10