Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: Entry in Roll of Freemen
« Last post by Bianca M on Today at 03:27:52 PM »
 That crest is quite beautiful.  Congrats on getting through that error free.  Whoo!
Loads of envelopes, mostly just for people whose invitation suites I've created.  Spot calligraphy is a big one for me, and I also handle a lot of wedding day needs (place cards, signage).  This afternoon I'll be doing a circus themed cocktail menu for a corporate event on a 6' tall chalkboard, which should be a challenge because of its height.  But, it's nice to throw in a project like that to break up the wedding work.  A few times a year I'll receive commissions for artwork to be framed, which is also enjoyable, and there is also the occasional licensing project.
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: Entry in Roll of Freemen
« Last post by RD5 on Today at 03:00:17 PM »
I bet you were glad when that was over.
Broad Edge Pen Calligraphy / Re: Gothic Blackletter
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on Today at 09:03:28 AM »
It was written at an x height of about 13mm with a Rotring Artpen fitted with a 2.7 nib.
I see. This is a nib that is cut straight across, right. Is there any flex to it? Also, in forming the fine lines of the capitals, do you use a corner of the nib?
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Entry in Roll of Freemen
« Last post by Ken Fraser on Today at 08:37:40 AM »
In my experience, writing in an  important book such as here in  a Roll of Honour, introduces a different level of tension, as errors would be disastrous!  :'(

As a full-time professional, I undertake almost any project involving hand lettering  / handwriting, but I draw the line at outdoors' signage as I've no head for heights!  :D
Broad Edge Pen Calligraphy / Re: Gothic Blackletter
« Last post by Ken Fraser on Today at 08:08:40 AM »
It was written at an x height of about 13mm with a Rotring Artpen fitted with a 2.7 nib.
I am pretty much in your boat: mostly practice, a lot of greeting cards and envelopes, but also a few 'pieces' for family and one exhibit with my Calligraphy Guild last year....but even then, it was only done on a standard sheet of paper. This is my hobby, so mostly practice. But, I love having projects because they have a cohesive goal where multiple skills are honed. I grow faster through projects than rote practice, even if the practice is smartly executed.
Tools & Supplies / Brause No. 538 ?
« Last post by finnrayment on October 22, 2018, 10:24:41 PM »
Hello everyone.
I have an empty box for the Brause No. 538 that I picked up back in May.
I impulsively purchased it because at the time I had never seen anything like it, however the nibs seem to simply not exist.

Has anybody ever seen these before? They are elbow oblique nibs and while I can find others like them, I can't find this specific nib.
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 2
« Last post by Salman Khattak on October 22, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
@NevadaDeb

Hi Debi - you are making good progress indeed. There is only one thing I would like you to focus on at this point.

Keep an eye on the angle of the hairline strokes as you end your exit hairlines and when you begin the entry hairlines that go up to the waist line (for the inverted 'i' and the compound strokes). The angle at the end of the former and the beginning of the latter should match the slant guide's angle. This will ensure that the exit hairlines merge nicely into the following shade and the shaded strokes are not too far apart. It is a simple thing but makes a lot of difference with the spacing. Your strokes end and begin at a shallower angle than the slant.

- Salman
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10