Author Topic: Left-handed tips from Master Penman John DeCollibus  (Read 8226 times)

Offline colorsofchrist

• View Profile
    • Connie Chen
Left-handed tips from Master Penman John DeCollibus
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »
We finally got around to filming this and I'm so excited to share this with you. I hope this helps answer many questions left-handed calligraphers may have.
IG: http://instagram.com/colorsofchrist || Website: http://connie-chen.com || Youtube Channel: conniechencalligraphy

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Left-handed tips from Master Penman John DeCollibus
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 03:14:26 AM »
This is amazing!! And well overdue!!!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
Hi Connie,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this.  (Pardon the shouting ;D)
My son is a Leftie and I am teaching him Calligraphy.  John DeCollibus is his Idol.  I tried getting videos of him to show my son and this is now just perfect for him to learn how to hold the pen.

Thanks again for this
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
Terrific! This is such an important topic I have decided to create a board especially for lefties.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »
Thank you so much Connie for posting this!! I've tried using the oblique holder (albiet a speedball  :-\) but flipped over but never really got into the swing of it. I'm going to try it this way and hopefully (fingers crossed) i'll finally be able to do some decent flourishes without the nib catching!

Thanks again! and yey to the leftie board!!  ;D
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »
Wow! How I wish I had seen this earlier!!!  When I first started out, I was trying to decide between straight and oblique holders... I ended up going with straight, but I have always wondered about the pen angle being too "high" to get smooth lines (something I really struggle with). And I can totally relate to flourishing away from yourself -- much easier, I've noticed.

Thanks so much for posting! I wonder how long it would take me to re-learn my muscle memory if I switch...  :-\  I do my broad pen at that 90 deg angle towards myself, so maybe it wouldn't be as unfamiliar as I think.

Offline colorsofchrist

• View Profile
    • Connie Chen
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 05:53:10 PM »
Thank you so much for creating a board for lefties Erica! I will pass on all your kind words to John. He will be very glad to know that it is reaching and helping many. I'm deciding whether or not to upload some bloopers lol ;D
IG: http://instagram.com/colorsofchrist || Website: http://connie-chen.com || Youtube Channel: conniechencalligraphy

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
It's great to see John in action here. I've always wondered how he used a right oblique holder as a leftie. Now I know. :)

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »
I'm deciding whether or not to upload some bloopers lol ;D

Bloopers are a MUST Connie.  (With his permission of course)
It gives us mere mortals some hope  ;D

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Younghae

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Logos Calligraphy + Design
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 04:01:17 AM »
His video definitely challenged me to try an oblique holder again...but with the angle he's writing in...i'm having a hard time re-training my muscles to write the way he does! I currently love writing with a straight holder, but did see that the nib is at a steeper angle compared to the oblique holder. Will have to revisit again..thanks for sharing Connie!

Question for others: Are there other well known left handed calligraphers? I'd love to research videos of them writing and see if they would also agree with John DeCollibus

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »
His video definitely challenged me to try an oblique holder again...but with the angle he's writing in...i'm having a hard time re-training my muscles to write the way he does! I currently love writing with a straight holder, but did see that the nib is at a steeper angle compared to the oblique holder. Will have to revisit again..thanks for sharing Connie!

Question for others: Are there other well known left handed calligraphers? I'd love to research videos of them writing and see if they would also agree with John DeCollibus

Knowing John and his story of figuring out that way of holding the oblique has really helped me as a lefty. It's the best way to promote full arm movement which is required for ornamental and off hand flourishing. Us lefty's have that advantage to off hand flourish with an oblique because we're already at that perfect angle compared to righty's who need a straight holder.