Author Topic: Back to calligraphy  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Back to calligraphy
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »
Well, it's been awhile, but I think I'm back in the forum to stay.  After my grandma died last fall, I went into hermit mode and spent a lot of time just trying to deal with everyday life.   At the time, I was doing broad pen work (italic) and it was starting to stress me out.  Being so tense and sad was having an effect on how well I could make the letterforms and that was making me more tense and upset and it just kept getting worse and worse until I just stopped doing calligraphy altogether. 

When I finally picked up a pen again, it was an oblique and I was using a pointed nib.  I hadn't wanted to start pointed pen work until I felt really good with my italic, but I needed a change.  I also didn't want to do anything that was too rigid because I didn't want to get myself back in the same predicament I had with italic.  So, worked on improving my own cursive script, written at a 55 degree slant with shading on the downstrokes.  Serendipitously, I ended up with something approximating the running hand from Bickham's The Universal Penman. 

I've finally gotten back to italic, too.  My husband's cousin's daughter graduated high school a few weeks back and I volunteered to address the envelopes for her graduation announcements.  They turned out fairly well, actually, and it felt good to have that calligraphy victory.

So, I think I'm back to stay.  I've missed the forum and talking to calligraphy friends.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Back to calligraphy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Welcome back, Elisabeth.  :)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Back to calligraphy
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »
Thank you, Andy!  It feels good to be back with the tribe.  :)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram