Author Topic: Hello fromMaine, USA  (Read 559 times)

Offline RickFromMaine

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello fromMaine, USA
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
Greetings,

Allow me to introduce myself as a new member.

My name is Rick Bouchard, from Scarborough, Maine.

I am one of two coordinators for the Casco Bay Scribes, a guild of lettering artists in Southern Maine..., who once had the honor of having Erica McPhee as a member.  We miss her! 

I have been doing calligraphy since 1992, have done weddings, certificates and other things as a part-time business and now just do it solely for fun!  I have studied with a number of teachers including:  Peter Halliday, Thomas Hoyer, Barbara Gullbrand, Victoria Pittman, Maggie McNeice, Nancy Leavitt, Kate McCulla, Kathy Milici & Dan Mooney, Margo Ditmer, Sheila Waters, Ted Kadin, and Nancy Culmone.   How do I remember all those names?  Because I have a calligraphy tackle box that I bring to all my workshops…, and, afterward, I ask the teacher to sign it. 

My second bedroom is a calligraphy studio.  Recently, I have embarked on learning Spencerian and Copperplate, two hands that I have admired for a long time.

I am glad to have found this forum.

Yours in the ink,

RickFromMaine
[email protected]
Scarborough, Maine
Yours in the ink, Rick Bouchard
[email protected] / Casco Bay Scribes
Southern, Maine, USA

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello fromMaine, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »
Hi Rick,
I'm so happy to see you here on Flourish! I was amazed you could remember all those names! I'm happy to see you were able to attend that workshop with Kathy and Dan in Portland. I was tempted to get on a plane and fly up there. Would love to see your piece from that.

I would recommend starting with Salman's tutorials. You have a lot of experience already and would do best learning the proper letterforms from his lessons. Also, @Rednaxela shared this excellent Madarasz exemplar .

There are lots of free Spencerian lessons on the IAMPETH website and archive.org, too.

If you can't find what you need or have questions, we are here to help!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline RickFromMaine

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:36 PM »
Hello Erica,

So nice to hear from you.

I have decided to start with your Copperplate to Contemporary class first.  I am on Lesson One.   Just copied the worksheets on the HP laser paper tonight.  I like that paper.  Also ordered a bunch from Paper and Ink Arts..., and John Neal.  I just had a ten day stay-cation.., spent no money, so I treated myself to a bunch of calligraphy toys. 

And, O..., M..., G..., I love Modern Calligraphy by Molly..., I cannot put it down.  Got it on the Kindle app.  I know I have experience, but she just makes calligraphy a playful endeavor again.  I like how she encourages the student write non-sense..., thereby, focusing on the letter and not the meaning.   I got the recommendation from your first lesson.  Thank you! 

So, I will be bouncing back and forth from yours..., to Michael Sulls..., to Molly and pull it all together.   As long as I am having fun. 

Glad to be on this forum and thank you for doing it.  It's amazing! 

I hope you are well. 

Rick
Yours in the ink, Rick Bouchard
[email protected] / Casco Bay Scribes
Southern, Maine, USA

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
Excellent! Sounds like a fun endeavor! Do let us know if you need help along the way. Hope we will see you post some work soon.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram