Author Topic: It's been a while...  (Read 660 times)

Offline Dries

• View Profile
It's been a while...
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:24 AM »
I haven't been active on the forum for quite some time, so I thought it would be proper to re-introduce myself: I am Dries from Pretoria, South Africa, and my interest in calligraphy started in my early twenties – I'm in my mid-fifties now.

The reason for my prolonged absence was a serious motorcycle accident a year and a half ago, in which I broke three vertebrae, several ribs and suffered a collapsed right lung and a little spinal chord damage. Over the past 18 months I've progressed from being paralyzed, through walking with a Zimmer frame and later a cane, to walking unsupported.

It took some time before I could sit for long enough to do calligraphy, but for the last month or two I have been able to spend several hours at a time practicing (albeit with a break every 40 minutes or so). I am extremely grateful for not not having to give up my favourite pass-time.

It is good so see that so many of the people I knew before are still here, and that there are so many "new"people who have joined since. I look forward to spending a lot of time on this forum again.

And yes, I am riding bikes again
  ;)

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
Re: It's been a while...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »
Wow, what a trying 18 months.  So glad you are on the mend.  You just never know what life will throw at you... it's why I try to appreciate every day.  Best wishes and welcome back!
Teresa

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »
What an awful accident, and amazing recovery!  How wonderful that you're able to walk and write again.  Welcome back.

Offline hasenherz89

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:10 AM »
That sounds like really really hard 18 months!  :(
Glad that you are feeling better now and that you are able to do what you love, again.
I am wishing you a fast recovery.
:)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »
I haven't been active on the forum for quite some time, so I thought it would be proper to re-introduce myself
@Dries
The paper awaits
your attacking sword-like pen;
art from letters yet.

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »

@Dries
The paper awaits
your attacking sword-like pen;
art from letters yet.

:D

My sword is sharpen'd,
the virgin sheet must succumb.
Red and black still flows.

Thank you for this reminder of how much fun I've had on FF. It's great to be back.

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
Welcome back! I am so sorry to learn of your accident and all you have been through. What a trying time. Good for you for keeping at it and working hard to be well. And hopefully calligraphy and Flourish can be an added comfort.

Love the D avatar!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »
Thanks for the welcome messages, guys.

Oddly enough, my recovery wasn't nearly as trying as it sounds, but that's thanks to solid support and patience from the people around me.

I've only been active on the forum for the past few days, and already I feel right at home again. This is a really fantastic group of people, and it is a privilege for me to a part of Flourish.

A special than you to you, Erica, for making this available to all of us.