Author Topic: Doing pencil lines... with a silhouette cameo  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Doing pencil lines... with a silhouette cameo
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:51:19 AM »
This might belong better under tools - Erica if you think so please feel free to move it!
--

So I've owned a Cricut cutting machine for a few years now, but I stopped using it at least a year ago because the software was too limiting for me. I'd determined not too much later that the silhouette would give me more of what I actually wanted. I FINALLY was able to afford the upgrade without feeling guilty about getting something I sort of already had. And I also acquired a tool for it, that's made by a third party called the Adjustable Pen Holder - so that I wouldn't be limited to Silhouette's sketch pens.

And... I ended up very quickly having the idea that I could probably put a pencil in it and say... have it write my pencil guides on an envelope.
So I tried it tonight. and it worked PERFECTLY, like I'm wow'd by how nice it came out, and how fast! I always felt like these machines moved kind of slow being computer run, but knowing how long I'd take to do the same pencil lines with a ruler, I can really appreciate the speed it does move at.

Here's a movie of it drawing the lines: (I have it as a story on instagram, which is why the text is there)
https://i.imgur.com/GlsPQpQ.gifv

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Doing pencil lines... with a silhouette cameo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
Jamie,
This is absolutely brilliant!!!

I have a Silhouette as well. It is kind of collecting dust. I forget about all the cool things you can make with it. But this is truly ingenious. Well done! And thank you for sharing!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:21:55 AM »
Thanks, Erica!

I figured some of us on here already owned these machines and would like to hear there’s one more use for it.  :)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »
Genious!

I have one as well since some years ago. I used it basically to make little card boxes for personalized wedding favors, but never thought about using a pencil for guidelines! I just have some vinil for stencils and stickers collecting dust until I find some time to design some nice quote worth sticking on my MacBook.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Lindah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »
What a great idea.  I have a silhouette.  I will have to try this!  Thanks for sharing.
Linda h