Author Topic: Tiny Italic Problems  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Benson Coleman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Tiny Italic Problems
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:13:30 PM »
Hello all,

I'm currently working on a personal project involving a large body of italic text written at a 2.5mm x-height with a .5mm Brause nib. But as I work on my rough drafts I'm noticing I'm having problems with consistency in the thick vs. thin with my strokes. The upward strokes that follow the 45 degree slant (such as in the 'm' or 'n') don't seem that much different in thickness from the vertical down strokes.

I don't seem to have this problem when I write with a larger nib so I'm thinking the problem lies in the ink viscosity (I'm using sumi ink) in combination with the reduced surface area of the smaller nib. Although, with such a tiny nib it's hard for me to determine if my nib is always at 45 degrees so that could also be a factor.

I'm wondering if this a common problem with tiny broad-edge calligraphy with a solution or if I'm just making a basic mistake with my technique. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks!

Benson

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny Italic Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
Benson,

I have had some experience of writing tiny Italic (particularly on family trees) and as you have indicated, it can be very tricky. I don't know if it will help or not, but here are a couple of observations :-

The paper has to be smooth and uncoated. to avoid clogging up the nib.

The nib has to be constantly cleaned - far more often than with normal sized italic.

I haven't found that the choice of ink makes any great difference - perhaps I've just been lucky!

Most important of all is the nib to paper 45 degree slant. If this is out by the merest fraction, the turned nib will produce unacceptably thicken diagonal upstrokes.

Tiny writing with an edged nib can be difficult but immensely satisfying.

Ken

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »
I've heard of people snipping the tip off of a crow quill nib to write tiny italics - might be worth a try.
Also - I have found stick ink to be much better for tiny writing - so if you have stick ink - you might try that.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Kenneth,

With tiny nib or large one, if I restrict myself to only pull strokes.  So no push strokes. Would that produce a consistent hairline on the hairlines strokes?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
Kenneth,

With tiny nib or large one, if I restrict myself to only pull strokes.  So no push strokes. Would that produce a consistent hairline on the hairlines strokes?

I think that this might help in  in maintaining hairlines but this stop/go procedure would destroy the natural flow of the wriiing IMO.
Also, every time the nib is lifted and re-positioned for a hairline downstroke, there is the increased risk of a shift in the nib edge-to-paper angle.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
I see.  By pushing, say an "n" on the upstroke, wouldn't the wet ink be pushed out thus disrupting the hairline?  So control of how much ink you use is important?  Loading the nib by brush would be a better choice?  I am sorry, as this concept is new to me coming from the fountain pen world.

@Ken Fraser Thank you for your patient.  When choosing a nib for small x height, besides a nib being small on the edge, does it matter if the thickness or in this case, the thinner the metal (at least at the very edge for writing) help make a hairline stroke more pronounced? 

@jeanwilson mentioned using a quill pen (which is a very thin nib) albeit a very flexible and small nib.  How does one cut the pointed nib and be able to write with it?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:40:44 AM by InkyFingers »

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:15:49 AM »
I did not see a crow quill nib being snipped off - I only heard about it - so, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I assumed the snipping would be done with some kind of metal snipper or sturdy nail clipper. Or maybe just drawing a nib across an Arkansas stone would square it off. I have a stone - will try that first.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:14 AM »
I see.  By pushing, say an "n" on the upstroke, wouldn't the wet ink be pushed out thus disrupting the hairline?  So control of how much ink you use is important?  Loading the nib by brush would be a better choice?  I am sorry, as this concept is new to me coming from the fountain pen world.

@Ken Fraser Thank you for your patient.  When choosing a nib for small x height, besides a nib being small on the edge, does it matter if the thickness or in this case, the thinner the metal (at least at the very edge for writing) help make a hairline stroke more pronounced? 

You're right - the ink is best loaded on the nib with a small brush. Minumum pressure is applied on hairline upstrokes so there is no problem with ink spread.
Inter-letter spacing  can  vary depending on the writer's personal choice.

For really small lettering I prefer lettering spaced as in this example. Ideally, this word is written in one go without lifting the nib. The nib to paper angle stays the same throughout producing even consistent parallel upstrokes (indicated in red). This has the added advantage of automatically creating balanced, inter-letter spacing. This,  being the Italic handwriting style of the late calligrapher Tom Gourdie,  is perfectly suited for tiny writing as it is exceptionally legible IMO.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:33:54 PM by Ken Fraser »