Author Topic: Best Exemplar for Copperplate?  (Read 17917 times)

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Best Exemplar for Copperplate?
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
Hey guys!  I was recently looking at Joe Vitolo's letter 'J' on the first page of his tutorial for his copperplate guide sheet.  After trying to emulate it I was shocked at my results after simply taking a good look at a single letter.  That experience led me to non other than the Flourish Forum!  What is thee best overall exemplar for Copperplate?  It'd be absolutely fantastic if it could have both majuscules and minuscules.  Thanks! 

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Re: Best Exemplar for Copperplate?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
There are some really nice exemplars/lessons on http://www.zanerian.com/Lessons.html - Dr. Vitolo's website.  I know a few of us are working through the E.A. Lupfer lessons right now.

Hope this helps!!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks Elizabeth!  Printing some out now :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »
My favorite straight up Engrosser's Script example is the E.A. Lupfer exemplar in the Zanerian manual that Elizabeth mentioned.

My favorite exemplars with a little more flourish are the ones on page 20 of the Zanerian Manual by Horace G. Healey.

I also really like this Round Hand Exemplar which comes from the Speedball textbook: Round Hand
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:11:50 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:22:34 PM »
Wow, E.A. Lupfer is quite impressive.  I've just spent a good 30 minutes simply looking over the lessons. (Fret not, I will look it over more in depth in the near future!)  Thank you so much for the recommendation! 

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:37:22 AM »
My all time favorite examplar for copperplate "universal penman" style (in my opinion very different from engrosser's script) is one that can be found in Claude Mediavilla's gigantic calligraphy book. It's available from John Neal's and it's all in french... It's really a beautiful book that is well worth the investment IMHO.
But if you just want to see the examplar, you might send me a PM and I'll see what I can do  ;)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 06:12:21 AM »

My favorite exemplars with a little more flourish are the ones on page 20 of the Zanerian Manual by Horace G. Healey.

Round Hand

I'd be down for an exemplar with a little more flourish Erica! Is this exemplar still under copyright? Are you able to post a pic or provide a link to this exemplar? I've done my own Google search but I'm drawing a blank  ::)

On the other hand I did come across this GREAT Pinterest board

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/151433606197538482/ chocka full of exemplars of all varieties.  Definitely worth a drool look!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:14:04 AM by NikkiB »
Nikki x

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
This is my own exemplar of English Roundhand (Copperplate), which is based on the engraved examples in "The Universal Penman", with some slight modifications.
As sybillevz said, it's quite different from Engraver's script.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:13:51 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
That exemplar is tricksier than it looks Ken!  ;D

How do you get the bottom shade on the L? Is it all one stroke?
What about the Cross bar on the T?!  :o
Is the final stroke of the V & W started at the little pig tail?

Nikki x

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:46:01 AM »
.... And don't even get me started on that Z!  :o
Nikki x

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »
If I had to guess I would say Ken turned his pen or the page to get those think strokes at L and T. I could be wrong tho

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
THE best exemplar is the one that looks best to you. The hand changed over the years (almost everything I know about its development I've learned from Ken's posts here), and people add their own little flourishes and adjustments, presumably because those adjustments look good and work for them. As you look for an exemplar among the excellent suggestions here, you decide what looks good, what you want to emulate, what you'd rather change,* and, perhaps importantly, what you feel comfortable doing. If your exemplar just isn't congenial to you, practice will be an exercise in frustration.

It's like my parents-in-law said when my sister asked them what was the best wine when we all went tasting at a vineyard: The best wine is the one you like to drink.

*Leave this for later until you get a better eye for what you like

I myself started learning from Lupfer's exemplars on Iampeth, which really are superb. However, many people here also like Eleanor Winters' Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy. I myself don't like it too terribly much, but of course, that's for you to decide.
Clara

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
...I also really like this Round Hand Exemplar which comes from the Speedball textbook: Round Hand

Thanks for sharing this! I am loving this photostream!!

This is my own exemplar of English Roundhand (Copperplate), which is based on the engraved examples in "The Universal Penman", with some slight modifications.

Wonderful! Thank you Ken!

Offline Marjorie M.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
Hi Erica,

Is this the newest edition for the Speedball textbook?

Thanks,
Marj

My favorite straight up Engrosser's Script example is the E.A. Lupfer exemplar in the Zanerian manual that Elizabeth mentioned.

I also really like this Round Hand Exemplar which comes from the Speedball textbook: Round Hand
Marjorie Matthews

Instagram

Offline Marjorie M.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:15 PM »
Ditto on what Elizabeth said. I'm also studying using Lupfer's lessons.

There are some really nice exemplars/lessons on http://www.zanerian.com/Lessons.html - Dr. Vitolo's website.  I know a few of us are working through the E.A. Lupfer lessons right now.

Hope this helps!!
Marjorie Matthews

Instagram