Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 2  (Read 60788 times)

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 2
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
I feel like I'm regressing. I'm trying to practice in groups of five, and I'm trying to get some consistency. While I'm not happy with my form yet, I can see slight improvement. Not much, but I'll take any forward movement at this point. I'm not discouraged, just confused about where I go from here. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2018, 12:49:48 AM »
I've been feeling defeated, and decided I needed to try some new words. So I did. I figured new letter combinations might give me the boost of confidence I needed to forge through this! Sorry for the double posting.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2018, 01:05:44 AM »
@NevadaDeb

Debi - you are far from defeated. You will always have nice flow and spacing - that is yours to keep :-)

The frustration you are feeling is quite normal. It happens to anyone who is diligent with their studies. We learn to see the nuances of what we want far quicker than the hand gains the control to consistently execute the strokes as we want them. This will last until the dexterity of the hand catches up with the sharpness of the eye. Knowing what it is helps deal with the frustration. You are now deep in the 'work hard' part of the game - the hard part is willing yourself to accept that for a time you will not be able to execute things in the detail you see.

For me, it helps to reduce my practice time and increase play time. This gives the hand a chance to catch up with the eye in a much less structured environment and we don't feel the difference as much. Play on with the remaining groups or just write things out for fun for a few days. It won't take long.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
Salman, I can’t thank you enough for your thoughtful, kind and timely response. I took your advice and am having fun this weekend. I just finished 14 birthday cards with alcohol ink panels, and this bastardized version of Cancelleresca Corsiva/Engrosser’s script done with a pointed pen— which was fun to create, but I hope no calligrapher who’s studied historical scripts ever sees. I’d forgotten that I have 40 years of broad pen work behind me, and it was satisfying to play with letterforms I was familiar with, but with a 55 degree slant and a pointed pen. I’m ready now to go back to our lessons with new vigor. You were exactly the prescription the doctor ordered. Thank you so much!

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2018, 01:00:38 AM »
Refreshed after a day off, having fun, as you directed. Ready today to tackle the problem areas again. Here's today's practice sheet and notations of problem areas.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
Practice may not make perfect, but it sure shows tiny steps of improvement! First, I crawl...

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »
After a month of practicing the Group 2 words, I started getting weary, even though they are not yet refined. So, to keep it interesting, I decided to try out a line of words with each nib I have in my drawer. Salman, I know you advise us not to keep changing nibs -- but this was a special event--meant to keep my attention from wandering, and allowing me to have a bit of diversity. Hope it's okay to post this!

It was actually very helpful, as it showed me why you advise students not to keep switching nibs. It takes a while to get into the flow of another nib, as each one is so different. By sticking with one nib, we can work on consistency with more success. Still, it was a very interesting experiment and was FUN to do! We old birds are easily amused.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:01 AM »
Yet another stab at it. October 15, 2018.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
@NevadaDeb

Debi - sorry for being absent for a bit there. You have done some good work in the meantime.

I do recommend using the same nib-paper-ink-holder combination for your practice but also encourage experimenting during your play time. I spend a great deal of time (and money) trying out different nibs and getting to know how they work with different inks. All of this knowledge makes us better at what we love to do :-)

You are almost done with the group two letters. There is just a little bit of fine tuning left.

If you notice the spacing within your compound curves is quite generous compared to the basic underturn-to-shade join we used in group 1 e.g. compared the m-i space to the space withing the last counter of the 'm' - you will see that the spacing between the 'm' and the 'i' is a good 1/3rd less. This creates a non-uniform texture even if your strokes are well executed. The key to fixing this is getting the inverted 'i' right. Try starting the entry hairline going along the slant guide line for a bit before turning to go up to the waist line - this should move the shaded compound stroke and the inverted 'i' stroke closer to the previous stroke.

I would like you to practice with some words using more letters from group 1. This should help maintain uniform spacing.

I will be looking forward to the next upload.

Regards,
Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »
Oh, my gosh, Salman! I am so embarrassed and disappointed in myself for not seeing exactly what you pointed out, regarding the compound curves not being consistent. I have gone back to the Group 1 letters, and am practicing as you advised. I can see I have developed some nagging bad habits this last couple of weeks, and it may take a few days to get my eye and hand coordinated. Thank you SO MUCH for your help and sage advice so that I can maintain some uniform spacing. And thank you for your patience. Red-faced in Nevada...

Debi

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
Working on entrance and exit hairlines and joins. I really appreciate the advice -- it's making a big difference. Yes! Thank you so much, Salman. Your guidance is always right on target and gives me "lightbulb" moments of clarity.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »
Sorry to post so many passes at this group, but I seem to refine some things every few days, and posting them is a good way for me to document my progress, and see my mistakes on a large screen. Thanks for all your advice. I may not be "there" yet, but I'm seeing some refinement in entrance and exit strokes, especially coming out of the compound curves.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
@NevadaDeb

Hi Debi - you are making good progress indeed. There is only one thing I would like you to focus on at this point.

Keep an eye on the angle of the hairline strokes as you end your exit hairlines and when you begin the entry hairlines that go up to the waist line (for the inverted 'i' and the compound strokes). The angle at the end of the former and the beginning of the latter should match the slant guide's angle. This will ensure that the exit hairlines merge nicely into the following shade and the shaded strokes are not too far apart. It is a simple thing but makes a lot of difference with the spacing. Your strokes end and begin at a shallower angle than the slant.

- Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2018, 04:18:24 AM »
Yet another stab at trying to change bad habits.Concentrating on exit and entrance hairlines, getting them not as sharp. It's a long process reprogramming the mind to eye! Thank you for the continuing advice, Salman.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2018, 04:22:05 AM »
Ohhhhh, NOOOO! I accidentally posted an older one I did on Oct 22, and had already posted. SO SORRY! Here is today's attempt.