Author Topic: Waterproofing watercolour and ink cards  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Cherylb5

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Waterproofing watercolour and ink cards
« on: December 22, 2016, 08:14:23 AM »
Hi everyone, may I know if there is a way to waterproof watercolour background as well as the ink used to write over the watercolour background? I have a couple of freshly-made watercolour cards which I am going to write my messages over with calligraphy ink. The watercolour background seemed to give me a sort of powdery finish. Is there a way to prolong the cards?
Cheryl
| Everyday is a new adventure with the arts |

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Waterproofing watercolour and ink cards
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
Hi everyone, may I know if there is a way to waterproof watercolour background as well as the ink used to write over the watercolour background? I have a couple of freshly-made watercolour cards which I am going to write my messages over with calligraphy ink. The watercolour background seemed to give me a sort of powdery finish. Is there a way to prolong the cards?
@Cherylb5
You might try something like this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:03:21 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Cherylb5

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
@Cherylb5
You might try something like this.

@AnasaziWrites : I'll search for the fixative spray at the local art supply stores. Thank you for your help!!  :)
Cheryl

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
@Cherylb5 we have a new fixative that is made from milk casein and uses a pump spray - no nasty fumes! 

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=Spectrafix

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 12:35:30 PM »
@JohnNealBooks that is so great!!  Those fumes can be so awful, and you can't always just go outside to use the spray.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »
@JohnNealBooks THANK YOU for the alternative fixative!!!!!!!!!  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent out on my cold (or hot) back porch or in the garage spraying the old, terrible smelling fixative! This' a life-saver!  I'm so grateful to have it as an option!

Janis

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 06:53:31 AM »
@Cherylb5 I just ordered the John Neal product & have high hopes for it.  If you go through the Forum's archives, you may stumble across a recommendation for "Micro Glaze".  I tried the stuff & it was AWFUL!!!!  It smeared my ink and left an oily surface on my envelopes.  It probably DOES protect the ENVELOPE, but it ruins the calligraphy!  I absolutely detest the stuff & have been thinking of ways to dramatically get rid of the bottle that I have!  It ruined all of my envelopes on an exchange & I am still so embarrassed about it that I could just die!!  DON'T order any Micro Glaze!!  (The brilliant @schin uses it & had good results, but she's brilliant & probably knows all kinds of things that poor old me doesn't even comprehend!  Such as, how to make Micro Glaze work!!  We mere mortals need to avoid the stuff, based upon my experience!)

Janis

Offline Cherylb5

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
@JanisTX : I was about to head to the local art supply store and get the fixative when I saw @JohnNealBooks's recommendation of a fume-free fixative. Thank goodness that I checked the forum before heading out! I didn't know there's something called Micro Glaze. Silly me would have thought that Micro Glaze is something like Mod Podge  :-[
Cheryl

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »
@Cherylb5 I'm also a crafter, so I grew up using Mod Podge.  That is a GREAT crafting product, but NOTHING like Micro Glaze!  Mod Podge will work, but a real "art fixative" is a much better option for what you're doing with calligraphy!  I ordered some of John Neal's new fixative & I'll report back when it comes in!

Janis

Offline Cherylb5

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Hi all!

I would like to report back after a month of trying out on Fixatives and alternatives..

Yeah you're right, spray fixatives have horrible fumes.. Once I spray on a few postcard-sized cards, the room will be filled with 'somewhat-smells-like-toxic' scent. Grr I took me 20 mins to get the fumes out of my room with the help of the air fresher spray. Also I've realised that my cards take in the scent of the fixatives too

Have not tried the recommendation by @JohnNealBooks but would probably do it soon. Saw Ziller inks on John Neals and I'm probably gonna get them!

Alternatives:

Since I couldn't find Micro Glaze in Singapore (the closest one was Ranger's Distress Micro Glaze that was out of stock at Made With Love), there's an alternative to use paraffin wax taper candles and roll the candle on the paper. However, I couldn't find taper candles anywhere.

Yankee Candle's Voltives works pretty well too- made of refined paraffin wax. Just take note to choose a white coloured one for white/cream paper. Surely you don't want red wax on white paper :)
Cheryl