Author Topic: Gothic-ing up some lyrics  (Read 1106 times)

Offline ArisTGD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Gothic-ing up some lyrics
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
This is a gift for family, so while I can already see things I want to improve on, I'm telling myself to relax and stop rewriting it (this is revision #3)

Apologies for the lighting, and the angle makes it look a trifle more slanted than it actually is. I take all responsibility for inconsistencies in the hand, however.  ;)
--
Aris TGD
aris-tgd.dreamwidth.org

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Gothic-ing up some lyrics
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »
The first thing that popped into my head was that it's just fine the way it is. I have been able to look at a number of manuscript books in the special collection at the University of Iowa library. They have many remarkable books - entirely handwritten - from pre-printing press days. Some of the books are consistent throughout in the quality of the writing. However, in some books it is not unusual to see facing pages that were clearly done by scribes with wildly different skill levels. I saw pages that took my breath away right next to pages that were pretty wonky. So there is a certain charm to any page done by someone who is simply making something by hand. Of course, if you continue to refine your skills - you may look back in a few years and see a difference in your work - but a handmade gift is usually valued because of the thought and time.

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will inspire other people to create original gifts. I'm out of town, but when I get home, I will try to remember to post a picture of a certificate that I once made for a gift. The lettering is nothing special - and it was done without much thought or planning - but it is still one of my favorite pieces because of the situation that inspired it and how well it went over.

Offline ArisTGD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gothic-ing up some lyrics
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »
Thank you, Jean! It's always good to remember that even professionals in the good old days had to start somewhere!
--
Aris TGD
aris-tgd.dreamwidth.org