Author Topic: Calligraphy by Gaye Godfrey-Nicholls  (Read 11730 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Calligraphy by Gaye Godfrey-Nicholls
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »

(Click image to view on Amazon for US members.)

Calligraphy - Tools and Techniques for the Contemporary Practitioner.

I have only recently acquired this book, and can wholeheartedly recommend it. It is substantial, being hardbound and 288 pages long. The quality of the examples is excellent and besides the many hands explored and described by the author, there are profiles and high-quality work illustrated  by other calligraphers. It will take me many hours to fully digest this large book, but having had a good look at the contents, I know that I'm going to enjoy the experience. It was written by an Australian calligrapher, printed in China and published in the UK - truly international!

Although this is a UK advert, I'm sure that it will be available elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calligraphy-Tools-Techniques-Contemporary-Practitioner/dp/1906417830

Ken

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:48:56 PM by Erica McPhee »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Calligraphy by Gaye Godfrey-Nicholls
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:14 PM »

I have only recently acquired this book, and can wholeheartedly recommend it. It is substantial, being hardbound and 288 pages long. The quality of the examples is excellent and besides the many hands explored and described by the author, there are profiles and high-quality work illustrated  by other calligraphers. It will take me many hours to fully digest this large book, but having had a good look at the contents, I know that I'm going to enjoy the experience. It was written by an Australian calligrapher, printed in China and published in the UK - truly international!

Although this is a UK advert, I'm sure that it will be available elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calligraphy-Tools-Techniques-Contemporary-Practitioner/dp/1906417830

Ken
Hi Ken,

Is this the same book as Mastering Calligraphy:  the Complete Guide to Handlettering by Gaye Godfrey-Nicholls, published in the US in 2013, also a hardbound of 288 pages?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
They appear to be different books. If you scroll down this ad, you'll find both books advertised side by side

This seems really odd as they are both 288 pages long and they were both published in 2013.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Calligraphy-Complete-Guide-Lettering/dp/1452101124

Ken

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Ken!  I ordered a copy from here in the US at a fair price!

Janis

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Ken!  I ordered a copy from here in the US at a fair price!

Janis

I got my copy in a garden centre at one sixth of the recommended price!

Offline Elle Dechene

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »
Hi Ken, it's reassuring to know that you like this book, as I am using it to start to learn broad pen calligraphy. 

Anasanzi, I've got the "Mastering Calligraphy" version and, going by the preview pages of the other title, they appear to be the same books.  Exactly the same "Contents", "Introduction" and "The Basics 1" pages, including artwork.  Confusing, that!

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
This book was suggested during a calligraphy workshop. IT IS really useful and I like method and perspective in developing contents and exercises.

Offline TeganL

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 06:53:33 AM »
They appear to be different books. If you scroll down this ad, you'll find both books advertised side by side

This seems really odd as they are both 288 pages long and they were both published in 2013.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Calligraphy-Complete-Guide-Lettering/dp/1452101124

Ken

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but for anyone using these threads for info on potential book purchases (as I just was), they are actually one and the same book.

If you look at the author's website http://www.inklings.com.au/ she states "My book entitled Calligraphy, Tools and  Techniques for the Contemporary Practitioner (UK) and Mastering Calligraphy (US)  is available from selected bookstores  and online. Don’t be fooled by the title and cover differences – it is exactly  the same book."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:31:30 AM by TeganL »

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
I'd forgotten about this, but since a copy has come my way in the meantime thought I'd echo Ken's praise for a really worthwhile book.  I found it in a garden centre too.  :)

The book covers some areas which don't usually get attention, like ruling pen, Neuland, preparing tinted grounds and digital calligraphy for instance, so it's not just more of the usual.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 01:50:13 PM »
I purchased a copy as well and have really been enjoying it.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:02:33 PM »
I purchased a copy as well and have really been enjoying it.
Ditto, Erica!  This' a great little book, with lots of great information!

@AndyT & @Ken Fraser:  What's a "Garden Center"?  Enquiring minds want to know!!

Janis

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 04:58:03 AM »
Hi Janis,

Don't you have them in Texas?  Well anyway, a British garden centre is a place at one remove from reality, where people go to idle away time.  A bit like a supermarket, but the pace is much slower.  Nominally it's a plant nursery and a retail outlet for sacks of gravel, fencing panels, pesticides, concrete nymphs, bird seed, gardening tools and that sort of thing, but most customers tend to wander around in a daze following a spiral path which inevitably leads to the café.  If either of my local ones are anything to go by, anyway!  For some reason there's always a bargain book section, and whilst most of the titles are along the lines of "100 Ways to Tie a Tie", "Ration Book Recipes" or "How To Psychoanalyse Your Cat" (when they're not colouring books or simple puzzles for the hard of thinking), it's always worth a look just on the off chance.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for recommendation. Just found one on Amazon India. Looks cheaper that US by a good 20$ :D
Will book one over the weekend.

Regards,
Ashok

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:18 PM »
Hi Janis,

Don't you have them in Texas?  Well anyway, a British garden centre is a place at one remove from reality, where people go to idle away time.  A bit like a supermarket, but the pace is much slower.  Nominally it's a plant nursery and a retail outlet for sacks of gravel, fencing panels, pesticides, concrete nymphs, bird seed, gardening tools and that sort of thing, but most customers tend to wander around in a daze following a spiral path which inevitably leads to the café.  If either of my local ones are anything to go by, anyway!  For some reason there's always a bargain book section, and whilst most of the titles are along the lines of "100 Ways to Tie a Tie", "Ration Book Recipes" or "How To Psychoanalyse Your Cat" (when they're not colouring books or simple puzzles for the hard of thinking), it's always worth a look just on the off chance.
@AndyT. Yes, we do have shops like that in Texas!  But, there is a zero chance that you'd find a calligraphy book in one!!  There are garden-related books, like "How to Grow Bigger Tomatoes" or "How to Build a Birdhouse", etc.!  However, I'm going to remember to peruse the books section of my local garden center, just to verify that I'm right about their genres! 

Janis

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 06:03:35 AM »
@JanisTX  Interesting!  I'm ashamed to admit it, but everything I "know" about Texas comes from books by Cormac McCarthy - thousands of square miles of sagebrush and mesquite with the occasional rattlesnake.  So I had a vague idea that a Texas garden might be the sort of place where you could run a few hundred head of longhorns.  Consider me duly enlightened.  ;)