Author Topic: Ink woes  (Read 11440 times)

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ink woes
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
@prasad : I take iron supplements all the time...so I'd just dissolve them in the ink to make them darker?  Would I have to get the tablet type or the capsule type? Would the sugar coating on the tablet affect the ink?

@Rednaxela : I was just thinking black tea simply because it's darker not really for tannin content.  What does tannin have to do with the darkness?

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 12:24:32 AM »
@FirebirdArts
Sugar does not affect the ink.  I suggested These tablets because I remember a member of this forum saying she could use this too. 
Just get the 300 gm or more Ferrous Sulphate tablets.  Grind them up and try it. 

Happy writing
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2017, 12:37:21 AM »
Check out this website @FirebirdArts.

http://irongallink.org/igi_indexd7ce.html

They explain it a lot better than I can.
-- Alexander --

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2017, 01:49:07 AM »
@prasad @Rednaxela : I kind of want to do an ink making party with you guys now, your wealth of knowledge is fascinating...:D

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 05:12:45 AM »
Have I heard Ink Party??? Count me in!! @AndyT I absolutely love that book! I have it printed so I could take notes directly over it! Making ink is one of my favourite things to do and I have a lot of materials from my cosmetic-maker time. I've made walnut ink, longwood ink, iron gall ink, the famous dr. Stark recipe, pomegranate iron ink, cochineal iron ink and I even tried wine and jasmin green tea pearls! Not all of them have come out as good, but they all were so fun to make!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

ash0kgiri

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »
Wow Alba,
You have the entire Ink range. And I can imagine your place full of colourful jars filled with these lovely inks. Wish I could have few of them :D :D

-Ashok

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »
Have I heard Ink Party??? Count me in!! @AndyT I absolutely love that book! I have it printed so I could take notes directly over it! Making ink is one of my favourite things to do and I have a lot of materials from my cosmetic-maker time. I've made walnut ink, longwood ink, iron gall ink, the famous dr. Stark recipe, pomegranate iron ink, cochineal iron ink and I even tried wine and jasmin green tea pearls! Not all of them have come out as good, but they all were so fun to make!

Yes you heard ink party...but I think you'd take the cake with everything you've already made... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Well @FirebirdArts , most of that list can be also called "The list of my biggest failures" but... cake is always welcome!  ;D

@ash0kgiri I am pretty happy with my excessively big amount of bottles, yeah. But my father seems to think that big bottles with fermenting galls are not good decorations. I try to put flowery stickers on them, but...  ;D
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Inkysloth

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »
Seconding ESSRI!

It lasts for ages, too - I bought a bottle 3+ years ago, have been using it in a Lamy Safari and as a dip ink since then, and am only about halfway through the bottle. Admittedly I'm also using Higgins Eternal for dip-pen lettering, but those two are my go-to inks for practice, and depending on the end effect desired, final work.

If you want to try some, PM me and I'll pop a sample in the post to you.

best wishes

Robin