Author Topic: Anyone ever said this to you?  (Read 15172 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Anyone ever said this to you?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
I found this quote recently and wrote it down in my journal, but neglected to trace a source, so I only have that it is from the Times Literary Supplement in 1965:

"The art of calligraphy has been twice killed by a mechanical invention and has twice found a new set of justifications. As an industry for the manual copying of texts, it was destroyed by the printing press. As an essential tool of commerce and finance and an evidence of gentility, it flourished for three centuries and was strangled by the typewriter. In its third and present lifetime it stands with the fine arts, safe from any further technological threat."

I think I'm going to write it out in flourished italic, very large, maybe inch-high letters.  And then I'm going to roll it up into a giant tube and use it to swat people who say "A computer could do that!"

You guys will bail me out of jail, right?  ;)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »
I found this quote recently and wrote it down in my journal, but neglected to trace a source, so I only have that it is from the Times Literary Supplement in 1965:

"The art of calligraphy has been twice killed by a mechanical invention and has twice found a new set of justifications. As an industry for the manual copying of texts, it was destroyed by the printing press. As an essential tool of commerce and finance and an evidence of gentility, it flourished for three centuries and was strangled by the typewriter. In its third and present lifetime it stands with the fine arts, safe from any further technological threat."

I think I'm going to write it out in flourished italic, very large, maybe inch-high letters.  And then I'm going to roll it up into a giant tube and use it to swat people who say "A computer could do that!"

You guys will bail me out of jail, right?  ;)

I'll be right there with you in jail!  ;D
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
that is a wonderful quote...i'm going to copy that!!!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »
Calligraphy is an artform, and as such, comes the good and bad of the creative industry..including the struggling artist side of things and family attitudes of "maybe it's time to get a 'real job' ". However, what keeps every artist going is their love of the art and a strong dose of perseverance. Keep going! I've found for every one person I've encountered who doesn't get it, many more do. I do this mostly for myself, but also for those that I know do love it (my Mother's Day cards arrived last night!)

About the typography vs calligraphy part of this thread, I think the two are not mutually exclusive. I love typography. It was actually my interest in typography that renewed my interest in calligraphy. I saw all of these beautiful typefaces and thought that appeared 'drawn, but digitalized', and I thought, why not do that myself? I love drawing, and really, that's what calligraphy is: drawing letters.
Star

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »
Thanks pals for all the responses. Makes me feel better about what i am doing. 

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:23:17 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »

I love this quote!

And I feel the disappointment too when I get no response or a blank stare from my mom whenever I send her my work.

Some people just don't get it I guess, or are not into it...it's just sadder if it's family.
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
Patweecia,

I understand how that feels. It is so disheartening. Especially when you do something special for someone you love.

I once dated a German boy in college. I painstakingly reviewed books in the library to find a poem in German for Valentine's Day. I then translated it into English and did both in calligraphy and framed it. I gave it to him and he opened it up and looked at it with his eyebrows crinkled. I said, "what did I do the translation wrong?" He shrugged and said, "No, I'm just not that into poetry."

I took it out of the frame and ripped it up right on the spot! Sadly, I didn't dump him right then, too!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 12:18:23 AM »
Erica, that boy did NOT deserve you.  Wow.  What a jerk.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 02:40:32 AM »
Erica, I can only repeat what Moya said … and apart from other personality quirks the guy might have had, I always cringe when I hear people tell stories like that about Germans … there are unfortunately quite a lot who confuse "honesty" with rudeness … so sorry. My husband, who spent some years in the UK and in San Francisco, told me there was a saying "Never ask a German 'How are you?', because he is going to tell you"!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry! I mean no disrespect to German people in general (who I am quite fond of). I only mentioned that part because of the language/translation aspect of the story. And you are right! What is ironic is that after I was upset, his response was, "I was just being honest." LOL!  ;D

I will admit it took some getting used to the bold honesty. (Although quite wealthy and cultured, he was both honest and rude!  ;D) But there was quite the charming aspect there as well. Otherwise, I would not have subjected myself to his rudeness, not once, but for two separate go rounds, spaced several years apart!  :o

Sorry! Now I have really taken poor Brad's thread down the ugly path! But I wanted to clear that up so as not to leave a bad impression of my wonderful German friends.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Suzie L

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
Erica, I am impressed that your roots in calligraphy run so deep (that you were already quite practiced in college)! It really gives meaning to a lifetime of honing a craft.

I was recently a little taken aback while visiting my parents when they said "Can't a computer do that?" when I showed them my calligraphy (which is a new hobby they didn't know about) but they didn't mean any disrespect by it and they did say they thought the calligraphy was pretty. They grew up using fountain pens, which I admittedly know nothing about, but they seemed to know about the thick and thin strokes. I think they were more fascinated by why someone would want to learn calligraphy in modern times, but once we talked about it they thought it was neat. :) Personally I think when people compare calligraphy to a font, they mean that it looks very polished and professional. :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:50:31 PM by Suzie L »

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »
Erica, I was quite sure you wouldn't mean something liek that – I just wanted to express that I was really sorry for this, :P, and that unfortunatelly it is not a totally uncommon behavior!! Haha, I am sure I am being like this sometimes too without wanting it … I am glad though I could make you laugh!

Suzie, I agree with your last  remark … I think many people just don't expect anyone today to do something so time-consuming and challenging!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Denise R

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »
While I'm truly sorry for your experience, Brad, I'm so glad that you started this thread. The responses have been thoughtful and wonderful and funny and sad.

I've read quite a few good threads tonight, I've learned some things of value, I've gotten a peek at the lives of some people I hope to call "Friend" one day. But this particular thread has really struck a chord with me, as it obviously has with many others.

Even at this early stage I get looks of bewilderment from people who think I must have way too much time on my hands. And I haven't even shown anyone my practice sheets (which are all I've done so far). Just bringing up things like oblique pen holders, Nikko G nibs and Spencerian Script being a system..............yeah, people roll their eyes. I imagine it would and will hurt more deeply when I'm able to show someone something I've worked long and hard on, to be met with negativity and lack of understanding. Especially if that person is my father, as it probably will be. Guess I should steel myself in advance.

I'm 58 years old, but I've been very sensitive about my terrible handwriting since 2nd grade (long and very boring story), and learning Spencerian is a way of attempting to overcome that. BONUS ~ finding this forum has been amazing, and much cheaper than therapy :-)

Thank you for opening yourself up and sharing a painful experience. You've made an already excellent forum a better place tonight.

Denise

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
Erica, I am impressed that your roots in calligraphy run so deep (that you were already quite practiced in college)! It really gives meaning to a lifetime of honing a craft.

Thanks Suzie. I actually started in the 5th grade and had my first commissioned work in the 6th grade.  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram