Author Topic: Write Cursive With Schin  (Read 5983 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Write Cursive With Schin
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:32 AM »
It has just this minute occurred to me that @schin  might be happy with calling it "businesslike writing".  ;)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 11:44:04 AM »
"Cursive" is the generalized term that is used in American elementary schools to call whatever style of joined up writing they teach to students.  As such, an American would usually assume it to mean something that looks like "American Cursive" as written by Michael Sull or D'Nealian or some combination of the two since, as far as I can tell, that is what was usually taught.  Unless they went to Catholic school (especially if they are 50 years old or older), which often taught the Palmer method or some very close approximation thereof (so much so, that any American producing such writing might reasonably be supposed to have gone to Catholic school since Catholic schools also often placed a premium on good penmanship and used a ruler to the back of the hand as incentive to write better back in the day, despite the contrariness of expecting someone to write better after you had just injured their hand).  In Iowa public schools in the 1980s, it was usually taught in second or third grade and you were expected to write everything "in cursive" (whatever style you were taught) thereafter.  Generally, you weren't graded on your penmanship past elementary school, but you were still expected to write all assignments in some sort of joined-up cursive script until high school when they didn't care what you did as long as they could read it (typed papers were not the norm since they didn't expect you to have a typewriter at home and not many people had computers or word processors at home either).

Incidentally, I never heard the term "joined-up writing" until I read Harry Potter when I was in my late 20s which led me to believe that it was a British term. 
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
@schin :  That's marvelous, Schin!  LOVE your channel!

Janis

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
Incidentally, I never heard the term "joined-up writing" until I read Harry Potter when I was in my late 20s which led me to believe that it was a British term.

Joined-up writing is certainly a term in use here, or was in my youth.  It's what you do when you are no longer the tiniest of the tiny in British infant schools.  If an adult uses it, you can be sure that there's a good deal of irony, self-deprecation and possibly wry commentary on calligraphic airs and graces going on - especially if said adult is @Scarlet Blue;)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
@AndyT   ;)
I have been doing a lot lately.