Author Topic: Possible Nib for Copperplate: Brandauer "Oriental" #342 EF  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
Possible Nib for Copperplate: Brandauer "Oriental" #342 EF
« on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »
I'm just getting into Copperplate and am wondering which of the nibs I've got may be best to use.   I'm sure you've all got your own favorites.   One nib in particular that I'm curious about is an old beak nib known as the Brandauer "Oriental" 342 EF.   Do any of you use this nib or any other beak nibs for Copperplate?   If so, do you have any advice for how one of these nibs may need to be used differently than the Gillott 303, 170 and 604EF that so many people seem to favor?

For anyone who hasn't used these nibs, the Oriental #342 is the one on the far left in the photo.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Photo courtesy of the IAMPETH site)

K
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:54:28 PM by Krapprot »

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Possible Nib for Copperplate: Brandauer "Oriental" #342 EF
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
I used to be quite obsessed with beak nibs, as I find they are quite flexible and looks really cool. I especially like the ones with the round holes. Only problem is since they're so long, they have to protrude quite a bit out of the flange while still allowing space to fill in the reservoir. This took some getting used to as it might feel wobbly.. and because I'm used to pushing my regular nibs way into the flange. Otherwise they work great, especially if you don't use too much shade.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
  Do any of you use this nib or any other beak nibs for Copperplate?   If so, do you have any advice for how one of these nibs may need to be used differently than the Gillott 303, 170 and 604EF that so many people seem to favor?

K
I find the older G170 and G303 good for copperplate, as they have a bit of stiffness. The G604ef is great for Spencerian, but a little too flexible for copperplate, in my experience.
By coincidence, page one of my daily practice today was done with one of my favorite beak nibs--the Perry 104. I rarely post my practice sheets (so as not to injure anyone's eyes), but will in this case to show the range of this nib. Good for Spencerian, but a bit too flexible for copperplate, I think. The Perry 27 might be better for copperplate.

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
I used to be quite obsessed with beak nibs, as I find they are quite flexible and looks really cool. I especially like the ones with the round holes. Only problem is since they're so long, they have to protrude quite a bit out of the flange while still allowing space to fill in the reservoir. This took some getting used to as it might feel wobbly.. and because I'm used to pushing my regular nibs way into the flange. Otherwise they work great, especially if you don't use too much shade.

Schin,

That's great news to get.   I'm thrilled to hear from someone with your level of mastery that these beak nibs have some good potential.   I don't have any of the ones with round holes, so I'll be limited to the #342.   

K

P.S.   I love the Schin Shady poem.   I would never have guessed you're gangstah.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
Haha.. I'm straight from the hood.. bringing street style to FF since 2014

Beautiful work Anasazi!!!

If you want to try a beak nib with a round hole just PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. Let me know how it differs from the 342. Same offer also extends to anyone who is curious...
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »
I find the older G170 and G303 good for copperplate, as they have a bit of stiffness. The G604ef is great for Spencerian, but a little too flexible for copperplate, in my experience.

By coincidence, page one of my daily practice today was done with one of my favorite beak nibs--the Perry 104. I rarely post my practice sheets (so as not to injure anyone's eyes), but will in this case to show the range of this nib. Good for Spencerian, but a bit too flexible for copperplate, I think. The Perry 27 might be better for copperplate.

All very helpful information.   Your practice sheet is inspirational.   Thanks for posting it.

Are many of the Perry 27 nibs still floating around?

K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »
Are many of the Perry 27 nibs still floating around?
K
Not too many--best bet is eBay. On occasion a box will show up.
I thought I had a bunch of them, but can't seem to find them. If I do, I'll send you several to try.

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
Thanks.  I'd love to try a couple.   

K