Author Topic: Can anyone help  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
Can anyone help
« on: July 21, 2018, 07:11:38 AM »
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I have just started to learn watercolours and want to sign up to online classes.  Could anyone suggest a good one as there are so many out there.

Second, most tutorials recommend brushes from silver brush, I have searched for a supplier in the UK and found only one supplier with very limited stock, if any.  I when to order from the US and nearly passed out at the shipping cost, $60. 

Can anyone suggest where I can get these brushes from without the silly shipping cost.

I have emailed silver brush for other UK suppliers but heard nothing so assuming there are no others.

Thanks

Diane

Offline neriah

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 05:36:56 AM »
Hi Diane,

https://www.jacksonsart.com/ is awesome art supplier and has very cheap shipping around the whole Europe.

I was also looking into watercolors, and the only brush I heard being constantly recommended are kolinsky sable brushes. I got an impression it doesn't matter that much which manufacturer is behind it. I guess it depends on the level, but from my experience in various craft hobbies, if you are beginner anything of decent quality will work. My googling skills led me to multiple recommendations for https://www.jacksonsart.com/winsor-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-brushes. I decided to save some money and went with https://www.jacksonsart.com/jacksons-kolinsky-sable-brushes-920-921. I really doubt I am capable of telling the difference between those and ones from W&N or Da Vinci.

Anyway, mostly writing to recommend Jackson's Art as a UK based supplier and hopefully someone more experienced will help with brushes.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:45 AM »
I agree that beginners do not need the absolute top of the line. I started (at 18) with Windsor Newton Series 7. I was probably in my 40s when I decided to try a series 707 - thinking I could save my money and I doubted I could tell the difference - but I could. It wasn't horrible and I could get it to perform - it just had a slightly different feel.

Because brushes will wear out, I encourage students to start with whatever they can afford (within the reputable brands) and then each time they need to replace a worn brush - upgrade to the next best choice.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
Hi! I have never heard of silver brush! I have been enjoying the watercolor video tutorials from Jay Lee watercolor on Youtube. He also has a Jay Lee Patreon account and posts a new video quite frequently.

Our member @thepostmansknock Lindsey has an excellent beginners watercolor Tutorial.

This was a great free course I took but I'm not sure if you can still access it - worth a try: Show Me Your Florals by The Happy Evercrafter

Hope that helps!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
I actually have a couple of Silver brushes (the Black Velvet line) and rarely use them.  There is a floppiness to the bristles that I really dislike.  It doesn't mean they aren't good brushes - it just means that it's not a one-size-fits-all.  I agree with Jean that beginners don't need to start off with a high end brush.  I have a wide range and, funnily, use my smaller size W&N Cotman's quite a bit - they are student grade.  I also really like my nicer W&N brushes, and tend to work with my Raphaels quite a bit. 

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.

I was looking at Silver Brush as most of the tutorial I have seen recommend them.

Neriah - Jacksons is where I have been buying my brushes, it was the only place in the UK that I could find the Silver Brushes, but not the one's that were recommended.

Bianca & Jean - great to know I dont need the high end equipment, my credit card was getting a little worried lol.  I do have W & N brushes and have just ordered some from Rosemary & Co which is a UK based company so great for the shipping cost.

Erica - I love TPK and will take a look at the tutorial.

Thanks again for the help, once again FF to the rescue.

Diane

ash0kgiri

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 09:14:04 AM »
Hi Diane,
I agree with Jean. During my Art college days we used to use local made brushes for work and they were dirt cheap. As you progress you can always buy the more professional ones.

-Ashok