Author Topic: Vintage nib prices on ebay  (Read 59934 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Vintage nib prices on ebay
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:29 PM »
penstaff used to post on here sometimes - I think his name is Harvey. Not sure if he's still around.

I'm definitely doing some rubbernecking!!

(and thank you for the radio information!)
 (Getting a box of 2552s for $35 was fantastic luck, Empty - hang on to those tight!)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:17:28 PM by Moya »

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
I thought that $35 may have been a little under average at best.  I think the auction I linked in the other post is demonstrating some of the silly behaviour that abounds in the Bay of E. 

Offline AussieCalligrapherAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 12:37:18 AM »
I haven't opened the link but I'm pretty sure most of these are being sold by Chris yoke. And any excess profit is going to a charity. That might explain the prices. Also people are waking up to the 2552 a bit I think.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 12:48:57 AM »
I was lucky enough to secretly scoop up three boxes of the 2552s recently for 40 to 50 euros each (including shipping to Australia) and I thought I was getting a good deal at the time too - I still think I did! There was only one other person bidding against me in both instances - if you're around here, other person, sorry ;)

But that's it for me; I don't propose to engage in bidding wars or ebay madness.

I like the 2552's ability to write on soft letterpress paper, which I do a lot of commercially, and to me that was worth the ebay effort to get enough of them to last a few years of daily use. And I'm sure that within those few years I'll get good enough to use a modern scratchariffic nib on those papers - or I'll find a feasible alternative. There are so many good nibs that just don't reach the dizzying heights of popularity that the 2552 and the "dream nibs" have reached.

I don't want to ever feel I can't do my job without having precisely the right kind of nib - I have to be able to rely on my skill, not the tools.

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 01:11:37 AM »
80 956 radio nibs for 200 is $2.50 per nib. There are a few modern nibs at that price.  If you love the nib and use the nib then it might be worth it to you, if you don't like it but prefer the 2552 well would $2.50 per 2552 be worth it, for some yes, others no... Vintage is vintage and they are harder and harder to come by. Are vintage nibs better?.... IMO YES! CHris Yoke explained once why and its because of the way they were made and how they are made now. Look it up, its fascinating. But eventually they will be out of our reach not really because of price but because vintage inventory is depleted if not almost gone.

And Andrew I bought the 956 radio nibs and for me they are worth it, because like Moya uses her 2552's for commission work, I also use the 956 for commission work. Its the one nib for me that can darn near do any job on my table... But I won the bid by pure accident today and I wont even go into the details...
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 02:22:20 AM »
Yeah definitely Nickki! If I pay $2.50 per nib and the nib lasts one job, say 100 envelopes, and with it I get a better result on that envelope than with any other nib, and those envelopes go out into the world as good as I can possibly make them ... for me that's money well spent.  Heck I'd even pay $20 per nib with that kind of return.

... but I wouldn't use a difficult-to-find $20 nib.  ;D Only the super common ones. There are heaps of 2552s in the wild.

I think if you're doing commercial work it puts a whole different spin on what it's worth paying. It becomes a business expense.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:23:59 AM by Moya »

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 07:03:10 AM »
Perhaps then I should donate my box to a professional. I'm firmly attached to the bottom rung, so it may be a waste of a dwindling resource for me to use them.

As for the dream nib auction. If they are being sold by Mr Yoke for a charity thing there is no mention of it on the listings.  My apologies if the prospective buyers are bidding for the charity. I guess like many dabblers I will always wonder what it was all about.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 07:16:18 AM »
If you like the 956, then look out for a box of 556 nibs. They come up periodically. It's the same nib, and especially if you can get a box from pre"Made in USA" days (I.e. Pre-1930) they are quite nice. I just picked up 100 for $35.

It's like the 914, the so-called Charles Schultz nib. The creator of the Peanuts comic strip would only use the Esterbrook 914 Radio nib. Now they go for ridiculous amounts because of that fact. Yet you can find a box of 14 Bank nibs for half or less. The earlier 14 Bank nibs are much better than even the 914. Same nib, but better grind and slightly more flexible.

The Esterbrooks to look for are in order from least to most desirable by imprint are
Esterbrook Made in USA (consistency of quality equivalent to today's nibs, i.e. spotty)

R. Esterbrook & Co. Made in U.S.A. (Good quality, but sometimes took shortcuts in coatings and often didn't grind anymore but instead stamped grooves)

R. Esterbrook & Co. (Starting to see some models get stamps, but otherwise still good. Grinds get more cursory on some models)

R. Esterbrook & Co's (great quality, from about 1897 to about 1925. Golden age of their mass production. Always great)

Esterbrook & Co or Esterbrook & CO (these are the rarest nibs because they are pre-1897, and the level of workmanship is the highest. This is when you regularly find double grinds and the greatest level of finish)

Find a box of 556's with "& Co's" and you'll be quite happy. And may have to pay $45.

Cat's out of the bag now. There go Esterbrook prices  :)
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Entropy

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »
Hello everyone! Looks like I missed out on the party- I put a bouple bids on the 956's but was absolutely shocked they ended up going for that much. They are, in my opinion, a bit better than the 556 due to that silver plating but I would've guessed they'd top out at $120 or so at most.

Yoke's dream nib auctions have some boxes that I'd suspect might go well into the multiple thousands. Unfortunately I feel that it's a safe bet that they'll all go straight into the hands of prospectors and I suspect I will see several new "$35-50 ZANERIAN FINE WRITER! Dream Nib!" BIN's in the near future. For anyone interested, I am now in contact with a guy in France who has Andrew's level of interest in nib history and has collected for many many years. He has offered to wholesale me gigantic (20+ gross box lots of French nibs for very reasonable prices). I may end up taking him up on the offer, especially for popular ones like the 2552 etc. This may be worth it if there's interest for me to split a large order like this on the forums.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
In the end,

(R. Esterbrook & Co's #333, Esterbrook's version of the Gillott 303, straight Palmer Method holder, Diamine Registrar's ink)

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Mimi

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 01:38:52 PM »
This thread is so extremely helpful for someone who is starting to get into vintage nib! Thanks for the information, all!!! <3 
Mimi

Offline bubuli

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
My vintage nibs all acquired through eBay this month (January 2017):

january 2017
  • Gillott's Principality #1 - USD 10.50 each (4 pcs) - yes, $10.50 not a typo...i got lucky on a listing very few bidders noticed :)
  • Gillott's 303 - USD 4.99 each (10 pcs)
  • Gillott's 170 - USD 2.99 each (10 pcs)
  • Gillott's 604EF - USD 13.61 each (9 pcs)
  • Esterbrook 357 - USD 5.00 each (12 pcs)
  • Hunt 103 - USD 32.99 gross
  • Blanzy-Conte-Gilbert Cementée 2552 - USD 60.00 gross

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »

january 2017
  • Gillott's Principality #1 - USD 10.50 each (4 pcs) - yes, $10.50 not a typo...i got lucky on a listing very few bidders noticed :)
@bubuli
I'm curious. Do you intend to use these nibs?
Will you be looking to buy more of these at these prices?

Offline bubuli

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
yes, i intend to use them (in fact, i'm using some of them now)...although i admit for some i will use them very sparingly especially the Principality and 604EF...the Cementée i can use more since i have enough supply to last me for a while (probably).

as for paying at these prices.  my wallet says "no."  let's put it that way...ask me again in a year. :)  (denial phase initiated)

january 2017
@bubuli
I'm curious. Do you intend to use these nibs?
Will you be looking to buy more of these at these prices?

Offline nabeelah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
Acquired some nibs in November 2016, but forgot to post here!

I'm based in Spain so it's easier for me to get European nibs (as some of the Spanish suppliers more readily post to EU countries).

Gilbert and Blanzy 2552 [Box] -  €31.50 (including shipping)
Sommerville & Co Plume Gauloise [Box] - €29.50 (including shipping)

The Plume Gauloise are very much like the 2552, they're the same shape, a little less flexible but more sturdy. I recommend them!