Author Topic: Nib tines catch on upstrokes  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Jacob.V

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Nib tines catch on upstrokes
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
Hello All,

I have devoted most of my time practicing American Cursive Handwriting. I am just now venturing into practicing with steel nibs although I have owned them for a while. Of course, I am just starting so I am sure I am making many errors but was hoping I could receive some advice as to why my nib catches a lot on upstrokes?  I have been using an oblique nib holder with a Nikko G nib, sumi ink and HP Premium 32 lb paper.  I have a fairly light writing hand from practicing arm movement and thought that less pressure would help prevent the tines from catching. I have also adjusted my nib and flange to the best of my abilities according to Dr. Vitolo's advice. Thank you all for your time and knowledge. This is a great resource for beginners.

Cordially,
          Jacob

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nib tines catch on upstrokes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
Hi Jacob,

Nikko G is a very forgiving nib. It is sturdy…so I’m guessing it might be your paper angle or a heavy hand. Nib-catching is a frequent problem with beginners. It was months before I eliminated the nib catch. For me, it was mostly because I am a lefty and I had to learn how to adjust my grip/nib/paper orientation. If you hold the nib too upright, the chances of the nib catching are greater. So play around with your pen angle. Also, the nib will catch more easily if you have a heavy hand overall as the added weight creates too much resistance on the up stroke. This will rectify if you make a conscious effort to lighten your touch. Also, as you learn the strokes and become more comfortable with the tool, your hand will naturally lighten as well. Nibs that I thought really finicky and catchy when I first started are no longer an issue. So keep playing around paying attention to how the nib feels on the paper as you adjust angles and orientation. And of course, have patience. Even if you decrease the frequency of nib catches, you are on the right track. Hope this helps!
Star

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
What Starlee said.

I'd also emphasize angle at which you're holding your pen. That can have a great impact. Also, some individual pens are more prone to catching if they have a manufacturing defect. If you have another Nikko G, try a different nib. If it still catches, then it's your technique or paper.

That all said, I'm curious about your choice of an oblique holder for cursive handwriting. Nothing wrong with it, no judgement here, it's just not a traditional choice. Most people used straight holders for normal handwriting, back in the day, and used oblique for copperplate or decorative handwriting. That's why there are soooo many more vintage straight holders around.

I'd be interested in seeing an example of your handwriting.

Andrew
whose main interest in using dip pens is normal, cursive handwriting rather than calligraphy.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Jacob.V

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Andrew,

I didn't communicate effectively. When practicing handwriting I use pencils and pens. I have only used a straight holder once . I am venturing into oblique's for the purpose of pursuing Copperplate and Spencerian. I believe what both of you have to say. I'm sure that even though I believe I have a light hand for handwriting, it may not be light enough to effectively utilize a nib. I didn't have quite as much trouble with a straight holder as I had with the oblique. It makes sense that the various angles of the pen in relation to the paper and the heaviness of my hand could be the most significant problems. I just want to make sure I'm not making an error that could be easily resolved. Thank you all.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
While most people are satisfied with printer paper for practice - I find it to be *catchy.*
If you can try Rhodia paper you might find that it resolves some of the problem.
Somehow it is super smooth without being slick or slippery.

I agree with the two previous comments on nib angle.
Make sure you are not writing with the nib *up on its tippy-toes.*
There are two ways to flatten the angle of the nib-to-paper.
Adjusting the holder as well as the way you hold the pen.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
The HP 32 lb Premium Laser printer paper is as smooth as Rhodia if not smoother so I don't think it is the paper. How long have you been using the nib? These nibs last a fairly long time but do wear out. I suggest you try a new nib to eliminate that variable. If the nib still catches, then it is most likely down to your technique.

BTW - a light touch is usually lighter than one thinks :-)

- Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Jacob.V

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »
Fortunately I already own some Rhodia paper so I will try that out as well as correcting nib angle, pressure and various nibs. Thank you all for your advice.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
Black n' Red notebooks also have a great, smooth paper for practice that handles the amount of ink that comes from dip nibs, if you don't mind the lines.

I'd still try another nib of the same time first, and that might tell you if it's the nib or you.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/