Author Topic: Halloween | Day of the Dead 2016 Exchange Sign ups are now CLOSED!  (Read 13740 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Halloween | Day of the Dead 2016 Exchange Sign ups are now CLOSED!
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST...

Postmark deadline: Monday, 10/17/16

Unfortunately, due to some folks just completely bailing out (without good reason) and others making half-hearted efforts, we are going to change things up a bit for this exchange. If it doesn't work out, we will go back to the way it was. We are also going to try to even things out a bit in terms of skill level.

The lists on this exchange will be broken out by skill level. There are four levels:

newbie: either never done calligraphy or just getting started
beginner: some experience
experienced: comfortable with calligraphy and good skill level
professional: make money using calligraphy and/or excellent skill level

Please do not ask me what category you fall into. This is just a guide and the expectation is that people will be honest. This will keep it more fair as those who keep working and build their skill will move up onto the next list in future exchanges. Those who invest a lot of time and effort into their exchanges will hopefully receive the same in return.

I know this will be disappointing for some so if it helps, each professional and experienced level member will have one newbie/beginner on their list. This will be one person they will send to, in addition to their regular list. The newbie/beginner will then send an exchange back once they receive it. (Please take note of the return address.) I will also ask the advanced level members to include a post-it note with their return address inside their exchange so the member knows who to send to.

This is like a lottery so some can experience receiving an envelope from some of our more advanced calligraphers. There will not be enough pro/experienced members for every newbie/beginner to receive an envelope so I will keep track of who receives them going forward so we can share the experience with as many newbies and beginners as possible every exchange.

As always, I welcome your comments/suggestions for next time. Please post any questions you may have.

For those new to the process, once the deadline arrives, I will create the lists and email them out. You will then have until the postmark deadline to send your exchanges. You can start working on your exchange prior to getting your lists and then you will only have the envelopes to complete. Please see this thread How to Exchange for further info.

Lastly, this is a calligraphy exchange. It is expected calligraphy be used on your exchange and envelope. I have participated in other exchanges that only require calligraphy on the envelope or don't require it at all. Flourish exchanges must be done using calligraphy.

Let those creative juices fly and have fun!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:59:11 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
Re: Halloween | Day of the Dead 2016 Exchange Sign ups are now OPEN!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:55:06 PM »
Newbie and first exchange...This Halloween exchange is going to be "scary" for me :-[....(apologies for the "pun"..LOL ;D)

Offline claire lander

• waves_and_grace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 06:23:28 AM »
Aaand done, my entry submitted :-), beyond excited...
dreamer...

ash0kgiri

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »
Finally what I been waiting for. Thanks @Erica McPhee. This will be my first and I'm already excited. Already registered.

-Ashok

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:16:42 PM »
I don't know which exchange I enjoy more, this one or the Winter exchange! Excited! :)
Star

Offline jbb

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • JBBPensPaper on Etsy
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »
What a fun idea!!!! (My pictures is from a past Halloween.)

JBBPensPaper on Etsy

ash0kgiri

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
Hi @jbb,

This is awesome. :D and thanks for sharing.
I didn't find much pictures of Halloween in the past exchange thread.
Can I see more of these from other members.

-Ashok

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
It feels like a big jump between beginner and advanced. I think I'm in between.  :-\

Offline ilonaak

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:34:28 AM »
I have the same feeling. I placed myself as beginner, but... I don't know.  :-\

Offline pointedpenscribe

• Freshman Member
  • Let the beauty you love be what you do. RUMI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
thank you, Erica, for another exciting, "spookatacular" opportunity to play with my pen and papers.  So grateful and thrilled that you generously organize these exchanges throughout the year ! I was just thinking of the dozens of exchanges you have organized, and the explosion of creativity that has come from it all !  Wouldn't it be amazing to collect a few of these envelopes from over the years and publish them in a small special Envelope Feature of Dasherie!!    I marvel at how a simple envelope can bring the whole world together.    Thanks, Erica, for making it all possible again and again !!!!  Big hug to you !
@fpmmac

Offline claire lander

• waves_and_grace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Hi Susan and Illona

I have placed myself as a beginner too, because I just didn't feel I met the requirements of the next level up. Am hoping to put so much into this exchange that by the time the Holiday exchange sign up comes I will be super confident about moving up lol.

Claire x

dreamer...

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 09:31:47 AM »
So I went back and looked at some of the past exchanges.....Oh,my...Amazing!...*"Terasleen, what have you signed yourself up for? You are a newbie!....Your going to embarrass yourself :-["*

Offline ladygpaperie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
This is my first exchange and I'm so excited (and nervous)!! Can't wait to see all the scarily amazing envelopes!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
@Terasleen...please don't think like that. That's not what these exchanges are about at all! They're a great opportunity to break away from drill learning and try your hand at design layout and to become a little artsy-fartsy if you feel so inclined. The point is to bust out of your comfort zone, push yourself, try something new, and hopefully make new calli friends. I think I can safely say that no forum member is judgmental regarding skill level. We are here to support one another in our growth. I am only disappointed with an exchange if it is clear that minimal or no effort was made. Mostly, I love exchanges because I am just so happy to get a bunch of awesome mail. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:24:26 PM by Starlee »
Star

ash0kgiri

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »
Hi @Starlee

Thats really encouraging for beginners like me, and equally motivating to do something nice :D

Thanks,
- Ashok