Author Topic: OMG - I signed up for an exchange ... now what?!  (Read 18137 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
OMG - I signed up for an exchange ... now what?!
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:28 PM »
Since we have so many new members joining in on the Valentine Exchange, I wanted to post some details on what to do.

First and foremost - have fun! Don't sweat it! No worrying your work isn't good enough or who will be receiving it. Enjoy the process!

Important:
  • Since this is a calligraphy exchange, the expectation is that there will be calligraphy!  ;D At the very least, the envelope should be calligraphed.
  • If you post a picture online of an exchange you receive or send, please be sure to blur or block out the person's mailing address in some manner.

What goes inside?

People send a whole range of things from a simple piece of paper with their signature to elaborately designed cards.

What style/pen do I have to use?

Unless the exchange is designated as a specific style or pen (for example, broad pen exchange or spencerian exchange), all styles and tools are welcome!

Guidelines:

1. Please sign your exchange so people know who it is from.
2. A return address on the envelope is highly recommend as sometimes exchanges go missing.
3. Meet the postmark deadline!
4. Although not required, many people like to send a PM or post in the exchange board a thank you or notification they have received someone's exchange.
5. Complete your commitment to the exchange. If you don't send your exchanges, you will not be able to participate in the next exchange.

6. Enjoy receiving all the beautiful mail!!!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: OMG - I signed up for an exchange ... now what?!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »
I find it helps to mark on the envelope or inside what exchange it's from... I join many different exchanges at the same time so it may get confusing which is from which list..
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:38:14 AM »
Thanks for all the advice! First exchanger nerves set in yesterday, but now I feel much better!

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
Thanks Erica
I read your suggestions every time  before preparing an exchange.
It helps me to Find the right approach basing in my level (which is beginner)
C

Offline davinach

• Freshman Member
  • My instagram is @davinach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
Thank you Erica,

I won't be nervous and worried to do this exchange, eventhough i'm beginner. I will follow what you have said and do my best!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:03:42 PM by davinach »

Offline Thary

• Freshman Member
  • The only thing between us is air and opportunity.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
I was wondering about a technical issue...
What is the general procedure for sending out these letters?

1. Do you put it in another plain envelope so it doesn't get damaged and just put a stamp on it?
2. Have you experience any issues with sending dark envelopes? My bling submissions are all on black envelopes and I just realized there might be issues when I send it...

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
Thary
T h a r y   C h h o m 
Graphic Designer | Calligrapher | Typophile

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
good question!
Homeschooling Mom of Four, hoping and praying to become good at calligraphy!
https://instagram.com/4blessingsfromgod/

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
I have done and received all my exchanges so far in just a single calligraphied envelope. No need for two envelopes. Any issues with dark envelopes too. Last exchange, Halloween, you can imagine was full of dark envelopes. I received them all with no problems! The only thing is that you are sure to put enoght stamps on it, they could need more that white plain envelopes for not being "machinable".
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
No need to put in an another envelope. The post office is usually very adept at mailing whatever creations we calligraphy. I have done many different colored envelopes with all kinds of inks, white, silver, gold, watercolor, etc. And they have always arrived. (knock on wood)

I will say though, if you think your calligraphy is difficult to read, you may want to either pencil in the address at the bottom or add a strip of masking or washi tape with the address neatly printed on it. But this would only be if the envelope was either highly decorated or difficult to read.  :)

Hope that helps!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »
This idea of exchanges sounds intriguing, challenging, scary <excuse me while I grab my Roget's>, daunting... well, you get the drift.   I think there may be only certain limited types that I may be able to manage.  The Valentine one, for example, which I missed.

The other thing is, what is the average length of time from list to post?  Time may be an issue for me. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »
You can check the full schedule here: Flourish 2016 Exchanges . It lists the post date, the sign up deadlines, and the mailing deadlines.

However, since people have been busy, I'm delaying the start of the next exchange (which is the maps exchange) and will also extend the deadline.

The exchange can be as complicated or as simple as you would like it to be.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline talonso23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
How does Florish Forum know if we really sent our exchanges? Do we need to post it somewhere? Do we need to report if someone on our list didn't send theirs? I'm new at all this. Thanks.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
This is a great question @talonso23 ! While it is not required, it is considered good manners to let your list members know when you receive their exchange, either by sending them a PM via the forum or posting to the exchange thread.

In terms of whether we know you really sent the exchange, it is best practice to take a photograph of your exchanges completed with postage prior to sending. This is
for several reasons:
1. It is a record of what you did for your own personal portfolio.
2. If an envelope goes missing or your whole batch (goodness no!), you can trouble shoot to see if something was wrong with the address.
3. It's proof you actually mailed your exchanges.

I do ask from time to time for people to let me know if they do not receive their exchanges. I can then see if there are repeat misses or if perhaps one or more was just lost in the mail (it happens). This way I can decide if they can participate in the next exchange.

Sadly, this summer we had people sign up and then halfway through say, "never mind I'm too busy." But they would still be receiving. Not fair. While too late to do anything about it, those people are not able to participate in future exchanges.

On the flip side, things do come up, emergencies, jobs, children, etc. As long as those folks let their groups know and eventually send their exchange (even if late), they can still participate at a future date once their exchanges are complete.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Taitu1

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 12:08:33 AM »
Hi I have just joined and want to find out how to sign up for the next exchange.  Thanks!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
Welcome! Our next exchange sign ups will be opening up soon (early September). We’re trying to fit in a Halloween exchange, too, because that was a fan favorite. I may bump up the Wine Label exchange so we can still do the Halloween one. Stay tuned for more info.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram