General Categories > Introductions

Hi from the UK

(1/1)

stenolearner:
Greetings from the UK!

I have dabbledo in calligraphy since young, but never took it very seriously. In addition, the internet hadn't been invented, so it was a lot harder to find information. Now I'm looking to improve. I'm interested in Copperplate, Ornamental penmanship (fan of Madarasz), and Business penmanship (E C Mills/F W Tamblyn style). I also dabble at some broad pen stuff, like Textura Quadrata, and Cancelleresca Corsiva (Italic).

I look forwards to participating in these forums.

lizabetht:
Hi stenolearner.  Welcome!  I am interested in Copperplate, too.  Have you decided how to attack it?  My only unrequested advice is to start with basic letterforms rather than someone else's interpretation of the style.  I started off learning someone else's interpretation of Copperplate and it wasn't a good fit. 

I recently took a class from Phyllis Macaluso and she says to start by learning the basics and then you can change it like an artist.  I thought that was such good advice that I started over (after a year) and I used Eleanor Winter's book Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy.  But maybe there are other ways that I don't know about.  I'm sure that question has probably been asked and answered on here!

Best wishes on your journey.

Bianca M:
Welcome to the forum!  And good advice shared by Lizabeth.  Enjoy the journey!

stenolearner:
Thank lizabetht for the advice.

I have always been interested in the analytical approach (looking at the basic priciples behind letterforms, like the oval), rather than the copybook appraoch (trying to imitate someone else's strokes)

Erica McPhee:
Hi,
Good advice for starting off. So many styles...so little time.  ;D I would stick with one style at a time until you feel comfortable with it, then branch to another one. I would not try more than one at a time. It's confusing.  ;D
A belated welcome to you @stenolearner !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version