Author Topic: First practice sheets from Erica's Tutorials  (Read 5479 times)

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
First practice sheets from Erica's Tutorials
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »
Hello!! Just started my practice with Erica's videos on the Pointed Pen Nirvana section. This my practice from lessons 1 (a,b,c) and 2. Critiques are welcome. I think I'll struggle with slant during this journey I'm just starting. I used the Nikko G nib and a straight holder, and didn't use the guidelines from the lessons because I haven't been able to print them.

Cheers,

Lia
"Art is the stored honey of the human soul"

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: First practice sheets from Erica's Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:06:27 PM »
Hi Lia,
I will leave the critique to the people more qualified. :)
Great job.
Slants will come in as soon as you print the guidelines.  Just rotate the paper anti-clockwise to match the slant line with your nib and you will be on your way.

Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:11:09 AM »
Thank you Prasad for being so helpful!! I will definitely print the guidelines as soon as possible. Apart form the slant being wrong, it is also crooked haha, it might bother some to look at it, sorry for that, but I couldn't wait to start..  (I used a guideline I had from a Skillshare course but apart from not being adequate for Copperplate, I couldn't see through it very well) :)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:15:12 AM by liavarm »

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »
Hi!!
Today's practice... Worksheets 3-7 of the pointed pen nirvana's section. Critiques are welcome!!
 :D

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 12:18:38 AM »
Great job Lia,

I totally empathise with the " Couldn't wait to start" bit ;D

However, getting the spacing and the slant correct is critical.  If you can't print it , at least draw out a couple of lines with pencil.  The Bane of all copperplate practitioners is the dreaded Oval. :)  For this, you need to have the guidelines in place.  Formal copperplate is very mathematical and is drawn.  The down strokes, the oval, the entry and exit strokes...   After you get this, in comes the relation of height to width, thickness....  The list keeps going on.   :)

You can print out the guidelines given by Erica or generate your own too, depending on the size that you want it to be. 

This thread explains how to generate it.  It's reply#4 on that thread. 
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3322.msg45957#msg45957

Hope that helps.
Prasad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:29:10 AM by prasad »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
Thank you very much Prasad!! I printed the guidelines and used them in my second practice, which I posted yesterday. I don't have a lightbox though and I printed them to use them under the practice sheet. I don't know if I should get a lightpad or something... Anyway, I'll keep practicing  :)...

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »
You are off to an excellent start!!! 

Keep practicing, keep looking at pictures of other people's work, look for exemplars and find the ones that you like the most, aim for consistency in form and slant, and HAVE FUN!  ;D
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
Thank you Elizabeth! I'm very motivated...just ordered Eleanor Winter's book and will keep studying and practicing. I would appreciate comments on how to improve, I know it's early but I'd like to know the right direction to go :D I'm definitely having fun, calligraphy is a little addictive isn't it?

Thank you all!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:51:10 AM »
Ever so slightly addictive, yes.  :)

Regarding how to improve, I'm not a copperplater and there are some things specific to that style which other people will very happy to help with, I'm sure.  Salman (SMK) has contributed a series of lessons and he's a fine teacher.  A general comment, however: your most important assets are your ability for very close observation and willingness to be ruthlessly self-critical.  If you home in on your chosen exemplar and study it obsessively, and tell yourself that there is always room for improvement, you'll go far.  That's rather solemn advice, I know - it certainly sounded that way when it was delivered to me - but true nevertheless.

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:17:31 PM »
Thank you @AndyT . It's a very wise advice. I will focus on observation and self-criticism and continue to practice :) Thank you all for sharing your experiences, advice and taking the time to comment! I'll keep posting...

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
One quick thing you could work on (and, I had this EXACT same problem when I started out!) - the bottoms of your letters look a little thick - like you are not lifting up early enough...or, most likely, like your ink is thick.

I am not an expert by any stretch, but I've included a picture to illustrate my point.

Out of curiosity, what type of ink are you using?  Try adding a tiny bit of water and see if you see any difference in your letter forms!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »
Elizabeth: I see!!! I'm using Moon Palace Sumi Ink, I don't know if I tend to put too much ink on the nib, I'll try mixing it with a little bit of water, or see if maybe I'm not lifting the pen early enough as you said. Thank you so much for being so generous and illustrating it with a picture. What a great community this is.

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 09:57:17 PM »
Hello!!

These are my practice sheets from worksheets 8 and 9 (Pointed Pen Nirvana).

"L" is being difficult for me. One thing I've noticed is that I tend to make letters smaller as I write and also tend to loose the slant. Also, the d and t's ascender is too long, and with the other letters' ascenders and descenders I'm a little shy (tend to make them shorter then they should be) I've tried to pay attention to what @Elizabeth O. said about the bottom of the letters being too thick, but I have to keep on working on that as I can still see it happening.

Overall, I'm having fun but need to keep practicing and paying attention. I think I'll receive Eleanor Winter's book tomorrow. My plan is to finish Erica's tutorials, start Salman's tutorials and also study the book. I also read and watch the videos in Joe Vitolo's interactive book sometimes. It's going to be a long (and I think fun) journey this one.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 06:58:12 AM »
Hi Lia,
The practise sheets are coming out nice. Try to practise on sheets printed with guidelines as you won't have to worry about if it's visible or not. And once you get you hang of it you can take them off. Good that you follow. Dr. Vitolo's book online. Its really helpful.

Rest Prasad and Andy have already given their valuable suggestions please follow them closely.

Keep writing
-Ashok
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:20:37 PM by ash0kgiri »

Offline liavarm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »
Thanks @ash0kgiri for your great advice of practicing in the printed guidelines. I'll have to find some good paper to print them. I think it will help a lot. I've seen your progress here in the forum and on IG, and it's very inspiring. I'll keep posting and will look forward to the advice of all of you, which I truly appreciate.