Author Topic: Identify This Oblique Pen Holder?  (Read 626 times)

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
Identify This Oblique Pen Holder?
« on: August 19, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
Hi All!

I have a Zanerian Style Oblique  pen holder with a very slender waistline and steel flange. It belonged to my grandfather, born in 1888, who immigrated to the United States from Poland in approximately 1908, when he was in his twenties, and made Spencerian calling cards as a side business. The finial was broken off, so I can only guess the original length, but it seems like it may have been about 8” long. I’m

I love this penholder not only for the family history, but for it’s slimness, and how comfortable it feels in my hand. Has anyone seen this vintage pen holder, or have any idea where it may have come from?

I’d like to a few penholders as slim as this one, and I’d love to know more about the origins of this particular pen.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Debi Davis

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Identify This Oblique Pen Holder?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »
Debi - that looks like a Magnusson Zanerian Fine Writer holder. Also, the flange is Silver Nickel.

- Salman
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:06:10 PM by Salman Khattak »
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 03:39:08 AM »
Wow, Salman! Thank you so much for your response. Was silver nickel common in everyday holders back when this was produced? I did also look for any imprinting but there is none, and even with my jeweler’s loupe, I could find no trace of an imprint, so I’m assuming it was just an “everyday” pen holder. Have you seen any photos of this holder on the internet? I can’t find any, even after an exhaustive search.

I sure wish my family had saved some of those old nibs my grandfather had. Imagine if he had some Fine Writers or Musselmans in those six drawers full of nibs. Sad, but I’m sure my family threw away a lot of nibs and holders that would have been coveted today. I only have this one holder because I thought it was pretty, and saved it as a little girl for my “hope chest.” I wish I had been old enough to have appreciated his work and his collection.

Thank you again for taking the time and interest to respond, Salman. I’m always so grateful for your input.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:12:29 AM »
Salman, your noting that this looked like a Zanerian Fine Writer holder gave me a new word group with which to Google. I found the holder on — wait for it—SCHIN’s blog! She has one and posted a photo of it. Thank you, again!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Debi - these are quite sought after and command rather silly prices but can be found 'in the wild' from time to time. Most holders of that era had the nickel silver flange. They sold the flanges separately too. A friend gave me quite a few some time ago.  I use them in my 'special' holders :-)

Edit: Do you have any samples of your granfather's writing? It would be lovely so see them if you do.
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 07:22:46 PM »
Salman, I am giddy with delight, and only wish this holder was in better shape. It’s not in nearly pristine condition as Schin’s is. But I was thrilled to find out it had a name — it’s a STARBUCK (my phone keeps wanting to autocorrect it to “Starbucks). Alas, I wish I had some samples of my Grandpa’s Spencerian — I remember all the calling cards stacked up and only that they were beautiful, — but all of that got thrown out when he died and the house was cleaned up. This was in the late 50’s so I was quite young, and didn’t know that I should keep them. Strange that I should grow up to be a calligrapher, even if I used a broad nib and straight holder, rather then an oblique holder and pointed nib. I must have gotten my love of letterforms from him. I weep for lost opportunity!