Author Topic: Lloyd Reynolds "Italic Calligraphy and Handwriting" videos  (Read 1547 times)

Offline ArisTGD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Lloyd Reynolds "Italic Calligraphy and Handwriting" videos
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
I haven't seen a link to these yet, so I thought I'd put one up. These were recorded for the Oregon Educational Television Service/Oregon Public Broadcasting in the mid 70s. They're very easy to follow along with and cover details such as nib position, letter sizing, keeping track of counters, joining, unflourished and slightly-flourished majuscules, and how to transition from more formal italic to a breezier, rapid italic for everyday writing. There's also episodes on Roman Capitals (Ep 16-17), and the last part is a section on page layouts and book design (17-20) which is very informative and thorough.

Episode 2 seems to be missing from the archives and the sound is sometimes muddy, but it's still easy to follow. He demonstrates all of the miniscules that he would have introduced in Episode 2 over and over again while showing word lists. He's using the exercises from his book, but it's not necessary to have unless you want to see what he's going to write before he finishes!

<-- Here's a handy playlist someone made of all 19 extant lessons. Happy writing!
--
Aris TGD
aris-tgd.dreamwidth.org