Author Topic: Brush lettering on a wall?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline olivebranchandco

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Olive Branch & Co - Etsy Shop
Brush lettering on a wall?
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »
Hey, kind folks!

Wondering if anyone has ever painted and lettered on a wall before, and if anyone has tips for that? Or any recommendations for tools to use for it? I'm tackling a project on a 6 x 4 foot wall - wondering if anyone here has done something like that before, and what paint/brushes you used or would recommend for this?

Thanks! :)
Instagram: @olivebranchandco

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Re: Brush lettering on a wall?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:49:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
    • The graphic design of Christian Bélanger.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
I also would like to know please!

Thanks!
Christian Bélanger
Graphic design college teacher, musician and apprentice calligrapher.
My Calligraphy on Flickr + My Calligraphy on Instagram

Offline Christo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:17:44 PM »
I was recently experimenting on walls using latex paint (water based paint you would paint your house with!)

I use chalk for a rough sketch before painting.. It can be wiped off with a damp cloth after the house paint has dried!
This one's only about 40cm long and not too consistent but anyway...

I used one of these brushes (No. 4) https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-acrylix-series-203-rigger.htm They are little stiff though so are a bit hard to control on smaller turns / loops...
http://www.handover.co.uk/Brushes-Lining_and_Pinstriping_Brushes-Mack_Brushes/c2_1111_1158/p59856/Mack_:_The_Virus_444_-_Scrolling/Scripting_Brush_No.0/product_info.html These ones are softer & easier to control.
It helps laying down your pinky and dragging / gliding it on the wall or using it as a pivot for the curves...
you can also use a mahl stick which gives you even better control for slower / more precise work. ()

For Broad edged work, you can use something like these http://www.jacksonsart.com/p11895/Handover_:_Synthetic_Flat_One_Stroke_Brush_:_Green_Handle_:_Series_2107_:_1/2_in/product_info.html

or http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Artist_Brushes-Watercolour_Brushes-Da_Vinci_Junior_Synthetic_Mottler_Brush/c2129_2128_1083_1218_33398/index.html

Hope this helps somehow, until someone with more experience has better advice :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:21:33 PM by Christo »

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
That's AWESOME, Christo! Thanks so much for sharing!

Offline Claire G

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »
I've been looking into this too - thanks for the tips! Just ordered some paint and a long brush from Handover, and a mahl stick... there are some cool YouTube clips of canal boat signwriters and I think I kind of get how it all works... it's just the paint consistency which scares me!

Has anyone had a go since this thread was posted? Would be awesome to see more examples of modern lettering... the canal boats are all a bit traditional for my taste, although the technique is fascinating to watch.

I love that blue lettering, looks gorgeous.

Claire

Offline Linda H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
I have made this on my wall above my bed. It's about 1,5 meters high and 1 meter wide. First roughly sketched it over using a beamer and then painted it with a metallic wall paint.
Instagram: @fromlinda.withlove