Author Topic: Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta  (Read 2410 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
@InkyFingers (I thought you in particular might like this book)
For those who like this style of script, be on the lookout for a copy of this book published by the Getty Museum in 1992 (They own the original). It comes in a lovely slipcase and the quality is very high. Sorry the photos are light streaked in some cases. The paper is very shiny. Many hours of enjoyment here.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Re: Mira Calligraphiae Monumenta
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:13:06 AM »
@AnasaziWrites Thank you for your thoughts.  I am sure it is from the late Emperor Rudolf II.

Most of which can be d/l at readable resolutions...but I am a book person...
http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/objects/1487/joris-hoefnagel-and-georg-bocskay-mira-calligraphiae-monumenta-flemish-and-hungarian-1561-to-1596/

Please excuse my poorly written example of Spencerian/English below....I am still working on the separations.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:31:52 AM by InkyFingers »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
@AnasaziWrites Thank you for your thoughts.  I am sure it is from the late Emperor Rudolf II.

Most of which can be d/l at readable resolutions...but I am a book person...
http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/objects/1487/joris-hoefnagel-and-georg-bocskay-mira-calligraphiae-monumenta-flemish-and-hungarian-1561-to-1596/

Please excuse my poorly written example of Spencerian/English below....I am still working on the separations.
The book you mention looks very interesting. I will soon have a copy, thanks to your suggestion.

No need to ever apologize for the status of you penmanship. You are progressing very nicely and good things will happen as a result of your continuing efforts. Keep up the good work.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
For a moment, I thought one of the pages had been written backward, but then I realized it was actually written with a backhanded slant. 

I love the illustrations that accompany the script, they are so vibrant.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 07:01:25 AM »
I love this book. I actually did a fair amount of research on the calligrapher and it appears that he was active in Vienna, where I now live. His other book rests in a vault here and is inaccessible to the public but you can acquire a digital copy for a mere 260€ ... gulp.
Natascha
My Instagram