Author Topic: Can't achieve line variation.  (Read 940 times)

Offline RD5

• View Profile
Can't achieve line variation.
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:06:38 AM »
I just started to attempt copperplate,  but I can't get line variation. I am using a Tachikawa G with Koh i Nor ink. Adding pressure doesn't seem to make difference.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can't achieve line variation.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:25:01 AM »
TachiG is a pretty stiff nib, but you should still see some variation. When you have no ink loaded, push the nib against your thumbnail or a hard surface, do you see the tines split open? If not, then you have a bad nib. If they do, then try adjusting your nib angle. If the pen is too vertical, the tines won't splay apart as easily when pressure is added. I've never used Koh-i-Nor's ink, so I can't advise there. I hope this helps...and that others have suggestions too
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:10:54 AM by Starlee »
Star

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:33:00 AM »
Oh, they spay, either too much ink comes out, and the whole letter is thick, or not enough and it is too thin. Could it be the paper? I use it for blackletter, and it works fine...

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »
Sounds like you may need to prep your nib better. That will help with consistent ink flow. There are good descriptions scattered around here is you search. I’ve put my own ramblings on the subject on my web site.

https://thesteelpen.com/2017/10/23/using-steel-pens-part-5-pen-prep-and-bits-and-pieces/

Good luck!
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/