Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Introductions / Re: Hello from North Carolina!
« Last post by JohnK on Today at 03:26:06 PM »
Hi Aituaje, it is good to have a fellow North Carolinian join the Fourish Forum!

Looks like you are off to a great start!  There are plenty of great resources that you will find on this site to help you, at all stages of your journey.
« Last post by AAAndrew on Today at 03:18:01 PM »
Welcome from a fellow Tar Heel! Sounds like you have a plan. It's better to start with one style and stick with it for a while before switching, otherwise you can get confused and lose ground on the one you were already experienced with. Of course, I don't have any styles as an expertise, I'm just telling you what those who know have said time and again.  ;D

If you're anywhere near Greensboro some day you should play hooky from school or work and run over to John Neal Bookstore. It's predominately a mail-order business, but their small physical space is so crammed with treasures you feel like you need to say "Open Sesame" when you walk through the doors. The folks there are great and will give you as much or as little attention as you need while you walk around drooling.

So, glad y'all made it. Sit a spell and you just might learn something.  :)
Show & Tell / Re: My best production
« Last post by AAAndrew on Today at 01:19:33 PM »
Thanks! I'm adding more. I'm still at the stage where there's so much I want to put up and only so much time to work on it.
« Last post by Katie Leavens on Today at 12:50:38 PM »
Wow Aituaje! I'm so excited for you to start your journey. Sounds like you have it all planned out! I love using sumi ink, especially once I learned I could water it way down.

I just started learning italic (I did it after copperplate and spencerian, but the order doesn't matter). It is written with a straight holder and a broad edge nib. Straight holders are cheaper than obliques. I'm using a plastic one that cost about $2.

As far as how many styles, i've never seen people write a list of all their styles. But it seems usually people have 1 or 2 that they are super comfortable with and a few others they can make work when needed. Of course Master Penman are a whole other story!
« Last post by Katie Leavens on Today at 12:38:16 PM »
This is an amazing resource! I love learning the history behind what we do. I've added it to my RSS feed.
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1
« Last post by Sue W on October 17, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
Good Morning Salman,

I hope this piece is a little better, still having paper issues but will carry on.

I hope I've allowed a more pleasing space between my letters, will keep this in mind with more practice later today.  The long stroke of a 'j' is also something for me to perfect (I think) keeping a slant and a steady smooth descending loop.....practice!

Thanks again for taking the time :-)
Introductions / Hello from North Carolina!
« Last post by Aituaje on October 17, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
Greetings all! My name is Aituaje.

For my birthday I'm getting a bundle of brand new calligraphy supplies! I'm getting a wooden oblique pen with nikko g nibs, sumi ink, and paper!! I mean, not that anyone cares what I'm getting for my birthday, lol but there you go!

I am planning on beginning my calligraphy adventure by learning Spencerian. From there, I'm planning on moving to Italic (actually, does anyone know if I can use an oblique pen for italic?) and then copperplate. And then I might move on to some other style, but we'll see.

I have a question: how many styles of calligraphy does an average calligrapher know?

So that's all! And to anyone wondering, the pronunciation of my name is "eye-twah-jay"
« Last post by ArisTGD on October 17, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
This is really cool! It already looks like a great resource. Thanks for sharing!
Show & Tell / Re: Drawing with nib
« Last post by Ryumaou on October 17, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »

DIN A3 size
Copperplate Tutorial by SMK / Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 1
« Last post by Salman Khattak on October 17, 2017, 08:01:53 AM »
@Sue W

That was quick Sue - and you got it on the first attempt.

Now for the next bit on spacing that I am sure will be easy for you.

- Your letter shapes are very good but the spacing is a bit too tight. Start the next letter a little further away from the previous one such that the exit hairline of the previous letter connects to the shaded stroke of the following letter at 1/2 x-height. If you look at the word 'till' on the last line, you will notice that the hairlines are joining the following letters quite low and rather than gracefully merging with the shade, the exit hairlines are 'impaling' them. The last 'l' is a bit further away and you can see the join is much more graceful.

- The lower loop of the 'j' is well formed but the shade is carried a bit too far down. The shade should taper off to a hairline by the first descender line. The right side of the loop below the 1st descender line is drawn as a hairline.

- The 'blob' on the last stroke of the 'w' should be inside the counter space, only the hairline comes out. Yours are half in and half out. It is done better in the last 'b'.

- The crossbar of the 't' should be a bit wider. Also, the dot of the 'i' (called a tittle) should match the width of the shade.

Don't worry about squaring the top in one go. Just go back and draw a tiny '7' at the top of your stroke to square it off and fill in any gaps. Be careful of making the stroke go higher than the waist line though.

I will be looking forward to your next attempt.

- Salman

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10