Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open/Active Exchanges / Re: Holiday Exchange 2017 Lists have been sent!
« Last post by wurlocke on Today at 01:54:13 AM »
I've sent out my lot to List 2! I hope they survive their journey to their recipients! ;)
Open/Active Exchanges / Re: Give Me Your Heart Valentine Exchange 2017
« Last post by Bianca M on December 10, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »
I think many people are hesitant to point out that they haven't received exchanges from people... myself included.  I do realize that some simply just get lost, but this is not always the case, and it is disappointing for those who've put effort into exchanges to not receive anything back from three or so people.  I'd say that I now expect to not receive something from at least two people per exchange.

But, Erica, you shouldn't have to chase people down on top of everything else you do for us, so I'll put some thought into an idea I have and message you privately. :)
Tools & Supplies / Re: Paper Source cards
« Last post by Bianca M on December 10, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
I've had clients send me their papers without consulting with me and I loathe their whites for this reason (fortunately the luxe white doesn't bleed).  I use gouache with some gum arabic to get around the bleeding- although, I realize this may look different than what you have already done. :(
Open/Active Exchanges / Re: Give Me Your Heart Valentine Exchange 2017
« Last post by Erica McPhee on December 10, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »
It seems like you have only received a couple from every exchange @fridzleah . I will look into this. I have not had any other reports of incomplete lists. Sorry - that must be so disappointing.  :(
Tools & Supplies / Re: Spiral Guidelines to Share
« Last post by Erica McPhee on December 10, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
These are great guidelines! Thank you for sharing @Steve_H !
Tools & Supplies / Re: Favorite Practice Paper
« Last post by Erica McPhee on December 10, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
Ooh -- thanks for the link! I am going to try that!
Tools & Supplies / Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Last post by Erica McPhee on December 10, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
@Sue W  I like the Zebra G as well. I haven't heard of the other one. I hope it worked well.  :D

@RachaelS That seems to be the case with the 303 overall. I have always found them to be a bit glitchy.  :(
Tools & Supplies / Re: Paper Source cards
« Last post by jeanwilson on December 10, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
Paper Source is wildly unpredictable in both quality and customer service.
They are also at the low end on cost - so that seems to be a logical trade-off.
If they wanted to up their game, they would have to up their prices ----
I would vote for them to stay where they are since they basically have no competition when it comes to the range of colors and sizes.
Lesson learned - have a back up plan
and warn every client that they will have to accommodate last minute changes when your suppliers let you down.

Tools & Supplies / Re: Paper Suggestions
« Last post by jeanwilson on December 10, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
There is not enough information to recommend paper.
Most of all - what is your budget?
If you are doing each card by hand, you have to find paper that works with the particular nib and ink that you will be using.
If you are making one original piece of art and having it printed on the card stock, then you have a different set of issues.
If you need matching envelopes, that will be a factor.

The recent post by RachaelS about the frustration with Paper Source highlights the universal frustration of producing custom work.
It can be very difficult to source exactly what you need and the recommendations of other people are very hit or miss.
I could tell you what works for me - but I would add a huge disclaimer that what worked for me may not work for you
and the items that were available at one time can change.

Fabriano Medioevalis is a very nice paper that seems to be easy to find and consistent in quality.
Strathmore sells some card and envelope sets that are friendly with nibs and ink.

Many years ago, an older calligraphy *forum* had a lengthy thread about issues with Crane's paper. It seemed to have changed. There was also an issue with the paper having one side that was more ink-friendly than the other and some of the envelopes had been made in-side-out. So, even the most reliable papers have had their issues.

My only advice is to experiment with things that are within your budget and when you do take on a job, be sure you order plenty of extras and cross your fingers that you get through the job without any surprises.
Tools & Supplies / Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Last post by RachaelS on December 10, 2017, 03:19:05 AM »
I see Gillot 303 quite a bit on this thread. But when I tried them I had a lot of duds, and it sprang quite a bit on me. Is that still a problem? Or have they upped the quality control lately?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10