Author Topic: Hi! I'm Erica McPhee of Paperwhite Studio  (Read 70828 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm Erica McPhee of Paperwhite Studio
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
Hi!

I am The Flourish Forum owner and administrator. I am also the calligrapher behind Paperwhite Studio. I've been in love with calligraphy since grade school and have been studying and practicing calligraphy ever since! I started Paperwhite Studio in 2001 and have enjoyed many fabulous clients providing wedding and social invitations, logo design, magazine work, and greeting card design. I took a detour and spent a few years studying homeopathic medicine and grappling three awesome children.

Originally from NH, I moved to Maine after college. In 2007, we moved to the southwest coast of crazy but sunny Florida.

I enjoy italic but my true love is pointed pen. I love copperplate, spencerian, pointed pen italic, contemporary lettering, flourishing, anything with a pointed pen!

Please don't ever hesitate to ask me any question! I love sharing and want nothing more than to share calligraphy with all of the world!

I look forward to meeting each of you on the forum!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
Re: Hi! I'm Erica McPhee of Paperwhite Studio
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
Hi Erica! Thanks for putting together this forum. I know it can be a bit of a challenge to get things up and running but I wish you all the luck!

Best,

Ellen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »
Thanks for joining Ellen! Yes - it has taken me weeks to finally get everything up and running and almost all the forums populated with a start. Actually, first I had to figure out how to build it in conjunction with a website! :-0 But all is well that ends well (I hope)!  :D

Thanks again! And I look forward to seeing you on the forum!
Truly,
Erica
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:12:19 AM »
E, you are super-multi-mega talented, and I'm so glad that you're motivated to put your valuable experience and talent to work for the community.  A very generous thing to do.  I'm going to be watching this space for tutorials, interviews, and advice from you and other members of the calligraphy world, and of course I'll be happy to volunteer anything I've learned so far that could be of use to newbies! 

Offline DonnaK

• Freshman Member
  • Thoughtful, Classic Solutions
    • View Profile
    • White Wolf Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
I think this is wonderful.

Just last weekend, my Art Pal and I were wondering how calligraphy would continue with younger penmen. I think projects like this is certainly a way to accomplish that.

Thank you Erica
Donna Jeanne Koepp
Artist/Illustrator

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
Thank you Joy and Donna Jeanne,

I really appreciate your kind words and your efforts on behalf of calligraphy here at the forum. I look forward to seeing both of your lettering and I will definitely take you up on your offer to share!

Truly,
Erica
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline lisaridgely

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Ridgely Calligraphy
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
Erica, thank you so much for creating this forum! I'm not sure if you remember, but I was one of the happy recipients of your hand-printed Valentine's cards you gave away on your blog back in 2010. I still have your beautifully printed and (pink!) calligraphed card here in my studio!

Thank you again for your work in putting this site together and your willingness to share your expertise - I am looking forward to the community that will develop here!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
Oh my goodness Lisa! I knew I recognized your name! That's awesome! :-)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jane Farr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Thank you for the invitation to The Flourish Forum, Erica!!  I know this will be a great place for sharing and learning.  My best wishes to you as you launch the site.  My first question:  how/where do I upload my avatar? Thanks!
Jane Farr
carmelscribe

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
Hi Jane,
Welcome! I am so thrilled you have joined us here at the Forum! If you click on Profile, then forum profile, the first section is to add an avatar. Let me know if you need further help!

Again, welcome! I can't wait to see your beautiful letterforms on the Forum!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline dailyletterings

• no formal training, but LOVE callig+hand-lettering
    • View Profile
    • daily letterings
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »
just discovered this site today because you started following me on instagram (after i started following you, of course ;) )!! so excited to have discovered this place - especially because i appreciate your enthusiasm of sharing and passing on the knowledge of calligraphy for no other reason other than the fact that you're passionate about it and love it!! i feel i'm in the same boat so i'm totally on board with the goals of this site!!

i'll write out a separate intro topic for myself under this Introductions category. 

Thanks again!!

torrie
torrie t. asai

[email protected]
dailyletterings.tumblr.com
instagram: @dailyletterings

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:38:51 PM »
Hi Erica,

I came running here to register after seeing your Happy Thanksgiving video on IG. Thank you for this wonderful resource!

My first exposure to calligraphy was also in grade school. My sixth grade teacher made(!) her entire class purchase calligraphy pens and taught us Italic. I'm so glad she did because I have been in love with calligraphy ever since.

Hope you don't mind me being curious - where have you done your calligraphy studies? Are you self-taught? The reason I ask is because I can see that even in your informal/whimsical pointed pen work, there is great lettering structure behind it.

Best,
Linda

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 03:31:58 AM »
Hi Torrie, sorry I didn't see this one earlier! So happy to share the calligraphy love!  ;D

Linda,
I don't mind you asking at all! I started calligraphy in grade school (5th grade). I taught myself italic and black letter using Margaret Shepherd and Ken Brown calligraphy books. I didn't encounter another person who did calligraphy until high school. My graphic design teacher did calligraphy. However discouraged me from pursuing it after he gave me a B in the class and told me, "I'm the only one in this class that gets an A."

I dabbled throughout college. Then in 1993, I saw Maria Thomas' amazing Spencerian in Victoria magazine. I contacted her and she put me in touch with Michael Sull who kindly sent me his unfinished manuscript so I could teach myself in time to do my own wedding invitations!

Shortly after that I finally connected with a wonderful guild in Maine. I began taking every workshop I could including Peter Thornton, Nancy Leavitt, Thomas Hoyer, and Nancy Culmone. I then moved to FL where I belong to two great guilds, one on each coast. Here, I have been lucky enough to study with Kristen Doty, Mike Kecseg, Connie Ferguson, Sue Hufton, Joanne Fink,  and Marilyn Reeves. I think there were a few more whose names escape me right now.  :-\

I also designed greeting cards for many years and when you work with top art directors, you really learn a great deal about assessing your own letter forms. Mike Gold, from Hallmark, was brutal on my lettering but taught me a great deal in a short amount of time!

Thanks for asking and thank you for your kind words! Gotta love your 6th grade teacher, too!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Wow, thank you so much for sharing your calligraphy journey, Erica. You have studied with so many "greats!" You're so lucky to have studied with Mike Kecseg. I really admire his work and hope I will get to study with him oneday. I always tell people who are interested/just starting out that if they are serious about calligraphy and want to do more than just dabble, they really should join the local guild and take as many workshops as they can and soak up all the knowledge. The calligraphy community has such a generous, sharing spirit (like yourself!). When I first started, I was worried about the future of calligraphy/penmanship, but when I look on IG/Tumblr/etc and see so many young people being interested, it gives me a glimmer of hope! :)

Thanks for being such a great inspiration.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »
Thanks Linda! The pleasure is all mine! You are so right! I agree - every opportunity to take another class whether in person or online is another opportunity to improve your lettering. Every instructor has something valuable to teach. Seeing it in person is really the best. And guilds offer so much.

I, too, worried about the fate of calligraphy. But it is alive and well! I really credit Contemporary/Modern calligraphy with this resurgence in interest. However, what the new set is learning is that even though this style can be done by anyone, it is greatly improved by a solid understanding of the foundations of calligraphy. So I think it starts off as just trying out a modern hand with a pointed pen and then those who really love it, want to delve deeper and go back (if you will) to learn the basics. This is why I am starting with traditional copperplate in the tutorials.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. It is a very important topic!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram