Author Topic: Spencerian Saga  (Read 10802 times)

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
Re: Spencerian Saga
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
Thanks for posting these great pictures, Mike (it was so great meeting you by the way!). I'm also still recovering. I developed a cold a few days after getting home (or maybe it's just saga withdrawal).

I already signed up for Engrossing Saga next year, I couldn't resist.

My thoughts are similar to yours @AnasaziWrites - Long, intense days full of incredible teaching and lovely classmates. Harvest was born to teach and she does it with such compassion.

I've put the two oval stones I found on the beach on my desk at home and have been holding one in my left hand while doing oval drills, hoping for some oval osmosis :).

If anyone is interested in learning Spencerian/is currently learning and wants in-person instruction, it really is worth it. There's also a great kinship that happens with classmates when you're all studying the same material and sharing your meals together.. and having wine together at the end of a long, productive day.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
Great pictures!
It was a wonderful time and I learned lots to apply to my continued practice. I really enjoyed spending the week with everyone.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
I'm tempted, but know absolutely nothing about engrossers script.

I've put the two oval stones I found on the beach on my desk at home and have been holding one in my left hand while doing oval drills, hoping for some oval osmosis :).
My "perfect" oval stone needs to lose a little weight--a good reminder to keep them lean.
(x-height 1/3 inch). My second, larger stone is even fatter (not pictured--too embarrassingly fat to photo au naturel).

Nice to meet you too.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »
Great pictures!
Thanks. A few more to come.
It was a wonderful time and I learned lots to apply to my continued practice. I really enjoyed spending the week with everyone.
I did as well. Wonderful to meet you. Guess I should get down to practise now and stop yakking on the forum.
Stretch stretch stretch.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »

I talked to Harvest at one meal to get more info on the Engrossing Saga, and it's actually not about Engrosser's script, to my surprise. It's a week dedicated to learning how to 'engross' for certificates and final pieces. For the final project, each person is given the same content for a certificate, and each student engrosses it how they see fit. It sounds really great with a heavy focus on design and layout.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »

I talked to Harvest at one meal to get more info on the Engrossing Saga, and it's actually not about Engrosser's script, to my surprise. It's a week dedicated to learning how to 'engross' for certificates and final pieces. For the final project, each person is given the same content for a certificate, and each student engrosses it how they see fit. It sounds really great with a heavy focus on design and layout.

Oh my god I'm so there
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:35:59 AM »
Arghhhh I'm so sorry I missed it :( But wonderful pictures, with some familiar faces!! Let us know how it was, and post more pics!
Okay, here are a few more.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »
I am SO sorry that I missed this!  I took Harvest's classes at IAMPETH & learned so much!  I am practicing Spencerian a lot and have such a hard time with the lack of shades!  I guess I really am a Copperplate girl! :-)  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to IAMPETH or Spencerian Saga next year!  It's hard for me to be gone from my office for extended periods, so I really don't think that I can do both!  But, I really love Spencerian (especially as written by @schin) & would like to conquer it!!

Thanks for posting the great pictures, Mike!

Janis

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »
Mike, @AnasaziWrites, tell us more about those pen holders in your photos. Is that your collection? Or Harvest's?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
Mike, @AnasaziWrites, tell us more about those pen holders in your photos. Is that your collection? Or Harvest's?
Oh, no, these are not my pens. This is the Tate collection that Harvest brought to the Saga for us to enjoy (looking, not using). You can read more about it here:
http://www.zanerian.com/DonTate_files/don_tate_comments.html
The Tate collection is mostly the Reed collection to which a few pens from other famous penman were added later.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:39:54 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
I am SO sorry that I missed this!  I took Harvest's classes at IAMPETH & learned so much!  I am practicing Spencerian a lot and have such a hard time with the lack of shades!  I guess I really am a Copperplate girl! :-)  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to IAMPETH or Spencerian Saga next year!  It's hard for me to be gone from my office for extended periods, so I really don't think that I can do both!
Well, the 2017 Saga will be what I understand is intermediate to advanced Spencerian the first week and Engrossers script the second week. I'll bet you would enjoy either. The setting is just great and so much smaller and intimate than the convention.
But, I really love Spencerian (especially as written by @schin) & would like to conquer it!!
Spencerian is unconquerable. There is always more to learn., of course. At best, let us strive to produce work that the 19th century masters would allow as excellent. Let's strive to reach that which is currently beyond our grasp.

Thanks for posting the great pictures, Mike!

Janis
The pleasure is mine.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:05:21 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
@schin
Here is a link to more photos from the Saga that Yovi Martha has allowed me to post here (she's a FF member although hasn't been active for a while.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/flwk5sfalcdstwm/AADFC5NqKq7or0eNzEpY2M7Ya?dl=0

Offline Martha Laurens

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Art, Calligraphy and Handicraft Design
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 01:15:30 AM »
@schin
Here is a link to more photos from the Saga that Yovi Martha has allowed me to post here (she's a FF member although hasn't been active for a while.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/flwk5sfalcdstwm/AADFC5NqKq7or0eNzEpY2M7Ya?dl=0

I'm back! Waving hi to Mike, Elaina, Schin, and everyone! ;D ;D ;D hope all of you were enjoying the photos! I've been busy doing the online private teaching, making some projects, fixing website and life and also preparing for Harvest's visit to Jakarta in November 2017. :) Hope I can meet you guys sometime soon!  :)
Martha ~ Journal: @marthascribes | Shop: @scribesandbeyond.com

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
I'm back! Waving hi to Mike, Elaina, Schin, and everyone! ;D ;D ;D hope all of you were enjoying the photos! I've been busy doing the online private teaching, making some projects, fixing website and life and also preparing for Harvest's visit to Jakarta in November 2017. :) Hope I can meet you guys sometime soon!  :)
@MarthaDays
Great to "see" you again. Don't be a stranger.
Are you returning to the Saga this year?

Offline Martha Laurens

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Art, Calligraphy and Handicraft Design
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 02:38:27 AM »
Mike! So sorry that I just reply your message! I don't think I can make it this year. :( Even though Harvest's workshop in Hkg and Jakarta has been postponed to next year, there is family things that I need to deal with before end of this year. Really miss you guys!  :(

@MarthaDays
Great to "see" you again. Don't be a stranger.
Are you returning to the Saga this year?
Martha ~ Journal: @marthascribes | Shop: @scribesandbeyond.com