Author Topic: Copperplate with a fountain pen  (Read 379 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Copperplate with a fountain pen
« on: April 13, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »
Recently someone questioned the possibility of writing Copperplate with a fountain pen. I can't find the thread, but here's an example in a letter I wrote to penmeister Richard Binder. The content is self-explanatory.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:57:37 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AAAndrew

• View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
Re: Copperplate with a fountain pen
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »
Ken, your example proves three things:
1. your skills, which is never in doubt
2. You can write copperplate with a fountain pen, if you can write copperplate with a straight holder
3. Even at XXXF, a fountain pen nib will never get the kind of hairlines you will get with a medium dip nib.

I remember a former conversation in which you asserted that you're not a huge fan of the infinitesimal hairlines that some strive for. You prefer a line that shows up well, and is clear. A fountain pen seems well suited for this style.

It also shows that the master makes the tool work, the tool does not make the master.  ;)

I'm sure Richard treasured that letter. It's a shame he doesn't really do the work anymore. I guess everyone gets to retire at some point.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:06:55 AM »
I'm sure Richard treasured that letter. It's a shame he doesn't really do the work anymore. I guess everyone gets to retire at some point.

Richard used this letter on his website as an exemplar. I didn't know that he'd retired. He is a great craftsman.

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
Ken - I enjoy, and learn, from your threads. This one is another example of your talent as a Master Penman and an inspiration to students learning the art.

Thank you for sharing this letter. Just a delight to read  :)
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline ash0kgiri

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
I bought a Noodlers Ahab sometime ago and tried writing but with a Brause nib in it. Let me give a shot with the original nib.
Thank you again Ken for sharing this. :D

-Ashok