Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 883 times)

Offline Shrey-Z

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello there!
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »
Hello from Virginia! :D

After years of admiring others' handwriting and penmanship :), I finally gathered the courage to try it myself ;). An electrical engineer by profession, I never felt I had any creativity. But calligraphy is something I truly appreciate, so I hope to seek the creativity and channel it through writing!

I'm glad I took the dive and landed in the FF!! 8) This is a great place to learn and share with great, helpful, skilled members! :D

I am just a week old newbie in this world, and already amazed by the skills everyone has developed in this fine art...still trying to find my way through all the excellent posts and tips...

Shrey-Z
Using: Nikko G nib with a straight Koh-I-Noor cork tipped holder...

ash0kgiri

Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:49:41 AM »
Warm welcome Shreyz. Love your name :D
So what script you interested to start with... Waiting to see your Practice drills here. And dont forget to update your IG icon on your FF profile. :D

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline Shrey-Z

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »
Thank you, thank you Ashok!  :D  :D

I'm so pleased to see your reply! I stumbled upon your IG profile just yesterday and promptly followed it. You have posted amazing work!!! Really an inspiration!!
Seeing such great work I keep going from being inspired ::) to wanting to quit :o because it's so good!!

I have always been interested in calligraphy and now I know that the style I like is the copperplate with plenty of flourishes! ;D
But that's wishful thinking. I've just begun and trying to figure out which way to take to get there!

So far I've only been trying some straight calligraphy to get used to the upward strokes without catching on the paper, and creating graceful downstrokes without applying abrupt pressure... ;D

My current dilemma is the choosing an oblique holder. I found it difficult to use my straight holder to write with a slant. So I'm in the market for an oblique. I looked at the Peerless Oblique, Pointed oblique, turned wood oblique, turn of the century, 5/8ths turn of the century, and the hourglass oblique at Paper and Ink Arts.
The first three seem to be functionally the same. I like the increased thickness of the 5/8ths. I  narrowed down to the hourglass oblique. Unfortunately, it's out of stock!
So wondering if I should go with the pointed oblique to start with. I am told this holder fits the Brause 66EF (a nib I would like to try given the great reviews) as wel as the Nikko G (another highly rated nib).

I've been reading posts on holders and everyone seems to have their own preference, there is no clear favourite that I came across so far. I'll appreciate advice from experts like you to a beginner like me!!

Thank you again!

P.s.:
1. Sorry for the late reply. I am visiting my wife at her conference in Las Vegas!. IG suggested your account while I was chilling at the hotel...
2. Sorry for the looong post. Waiting in the lobby for my wife to return from her conference!
3. I will post on IG once I have something better than chicken scratch! Haha ;D

Offline Shrey-Z

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »
Update: Got excited and ordered the PIA Hourglass adjustable oblique based on some reviews...I am told it is out of stock :-\ but hope to get it soon!!

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Hello Shrey-Z and welcome aboard.

You are right about, "This is a great place to learn and share with great, helpful, skilled members!".

I am new to Copperplate as well. This forum contains a wealth of information and is very supportive. I hope you have loads of fun. Enjoy!

"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline Shrey-Z

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »
Thanks cejohnson! lots of practice ahead!!