Author Topic: Help identifying a script  (Read 1617 times)

Offline schun

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Help identifying a script
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have another beginner question  ;D

I find myself following dozens and dozens of calligraphers on instagram and being completely overwhelmed with inspiration!

I have come across a particular piece that I think is beautiful,and am very curious about the script that was used. The artist, Younghae Chung (@logos_calligrapher) identified it as Copperplate in a hashtag.

It doesn't quite look like the exemplars I have been practicing with. For one, the downstrokes don't seem very shaded. Also, the angle doesn't quite look like 55 degrees. That said, I am a mere beginner with little experience studying the many variations of each script. And I know that every artist will develop their own style and way of flourishing.

I am eagerly awaiting for my copy of the Zanerian Manual of Alphabets and Engrossing. Will I find an exemplar similar to this work? Should I look elsewhere? Or is this something the artist likely developed on her own? Or is this straight up Copperplate??

P.S. I hope i am not making a faux pas by sharing someone else's work with the Forum! If so I am sorry!
P.P.S. It did occur to me to simply ask the artist herself, but I am a bit shy... :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:36:11 AM by schun »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a script
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »
Just my view...I might be very wrong.

It is a stylized version of a pointed pen script.  It takes characteristics from both Chancery hand of Gianfrancesco Cresi (without the bulb) and the English Round hand.

Offline schun

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »
I forgot to mention - I increased the contrast of the image before posting to show the script better - it looked way better on instagram!

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »
Please do what you wrote in your last sentence. Ask her herself. She's very kind and approachable. I am quite sure that you didn't intend anything unfriendly, but I don't think she'll appreciate that you just copied, altered and posted one of her pieces here. It's not only impolite, it's a violation of copyright. I know that everyone seems to do it these days, but that doesn't make it right.

Btw it's simply a light, personal, flourished version of Copperplate / English Roundhand. There are many, many versions of that script out there. The older versions are as a rule lighter than the later, American versions. In the Zanerian Manual you'll find the more shaded version, if I'm not wrong.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline schun

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
@Estefa - Thank you for the advice, and the heads up on sharing an artist's work here. I think I removed the image successfully, and I apologize for breaching etiquette. I would remove the post itself, but am not sure how.

And I absolutely did not intend anything unfriendlly! I hope that much was clear from the original post...

Also, thank you answering the question  :)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
@schun I am sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, that wasn't my intention. I am not a native speaker!! But i really meant what I said – I've had conversations with Younghae on IG and she seems very nice. And as I aid, it's a version of English Roundhand aka Copperplate. On her website you'll find lots of info too ;).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram