Author Topic: Walk the Line  (Read 2285 times)

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Walk the Line
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
Walking and stubbling upon a MP Brian Walker and the Leonardt Principal new edition.

@AndyT Any scoop on this MP: works, arts, and should I try the new Principality?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Walk the Line
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi Inky,

I don't think there's any scoop to be had really.  Mr Walker is very poorly represented on the web, unfortunately, although if you search hard enough there are snippets and the odd brief instructional video.  I'm happy to report that he's in good health and spirits.

The new Principal?  This comes as news to me.  The original version was good but I never really took to it, and then there were some production issues.  The design was based as closely on the Principality as was possible given modern manufacturing constraints, so it doesn't seem likely that there will have been much of a design change.  The early Principals were like a souped up Hunt 101, sharper and a touch more flexible.  I'd certainly try it, and I hope you'll let us know what you think of it.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »
MP Brian Walker

I found, like you said, a bits of here and a bits of there.  Seems like he leaves a lot of bits everywhere.  Most interesting part is the Spencerian Study Group, IG ink, and tips about getting it right with the script.  There is no such group left except for IAMPETH.  Personally I like the company found here, its much more a group of fine pen(wo)men helping each other.

About the Leonardt Principal, who is actually making them now? Manuscript?

Here's my very first attempt at nib reviews.  I much prefer the Esterbrook 357, Heintze 2255R, and the Hunt 101 USA to all the nibs.  The Leonardt Prinicple did not jive with me, too stiff, less pointy, and more scratch.  The two best for hairline and glides smooth and easy to flex is the (first) 2255R and (second) Esterbrook 357.  Please understand this is my first attempt at dip pens.
The ink have a very important roll, I use Parker Quink with 1 tea spoon of raw honey and 10 drops of PhotoFinish.  Why did I do this additive combination?  PhotoFinish lowers the ink surface tension, the honey makes it more elastic.

There are lots of flexible nibs (vintage) to be found.  This is just my sample from a Deutsche calligraphy site.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »

The ink have a very important roll, I use Parker Quink with 1 tea spoon of raw honey and 10 drops of PhotoFinish.  Why did I do this additive combination?  PhotoFinish lowers the ink surface tension, the honey makes it more elastic.
Sweet.