Author Topic: Display your cool old pen boxes  (Read 2284 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
Display your cool old pen boxes
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
I finally got tired of my cool, old pen boxes being in drawers and perched precariously on bookshelves. I looked around at a bunch of options and finally bought one advertised for holding Lego mini-figures from http://www.sfdisplay.com/. It came this morning and I am very happy with it. It fits the boxes perfectly. I can get about six boxes across and I've only found one unusually thick box which doesn't fit.

No connection to the seller, but was quite happy with the quality and the service. Now I need about three more to get my most interesting boxes up on the walls.  ::)

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Display your cool old pen boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
Very nice!

So, when are you opening the US branch of the Pen Museum??   ;)
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Ryumaou

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »
I like Esterbrook the most. The red looks good together with the man's face.

I have only one box aside from ''Hunt 100'' which is pretty common I guess.
It is from an Italian nib maker named ''Presbitero''.
The nib is ''Presbitero 500 EF'', which can be used for fine lines if held steeply and extremely broad but very difficult to get even lines if held as flat to the paper as possible due to its characteristic of being a very flexible, long beak nib. At inbetween steep and flat angle the nib allows nice line variation.
Flatly held it works well enough to replace a brush when filling in ''small to medium size'' black areas.
The instruction paper in Italian says something along those lines, that any unpleasant finds among the nibs in the box will be replaced by the manufacturer free of charge (it has been some time since I translated it so this is 90+% correct).

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
Very nice!

So, when are you opening the US branch of the Pen Museum??   ;)

Does that mean I have to tell my wife just how many pens I actually have?  If that's the case, it's going to be a while.  :o

Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and be one of those eccentrics (I'd have to be rich enough to be "eccentric" rather than just crazy) and open up my pen museum on a side street in Manhattan. Maybe Maiden Lane, which seemed to house rather a lot of the top stationers in "the day." Or John St. which housed Esterbrook and Turner and Harrison at one point. William also seemed to have a lot of shops and offices.

Any wealthy patrons want to fund me and the museum?  ;D

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
I like Esterbrook the most. The red looks good together with the man's face.

I have only one box aside from ''Hunt 100'' which is pretty common I guess.
It is from an Italian nib maker named ''Presbitero''.
The nib is ''Presbitero 500 EF'', which can be used for fine lines if held steeply and extremely broad but very difficult to get even lines if held as flat to the paper as possible due to its characteristic of being a very flexible, long beak nib. ..[/URL]

I've seen those Presbitero boxes before, they're pretty cool. I want a hat like that.  :)

The red Esterbrook boxes are fairly late. I do have some quite early Esterbrook boxes in there, but the oldest one, and probably the rarest one, is at the top, just left of center.

The Washington Medallion Pen Company box can be dated to exactly 1864. It's not just any Washington Medallion Pen box (which are rare enough), it's a Harrison & Bradford's Washington Medallion Pen box. 

It was made by Harrison and Bradford Between January and April of 1864, between when they discovered that Albert Granger, for whom they were making Washington Medallion Pens on contract, no longer owned the design patent, and when they were sued by said Mr. Granger and slapped with an injunction against making any more Harrison & Bradford Washington Medallion Pens. It could also be from August of the same year when the injunction against them was lifted and they went back to making pens, until they lost the case some time later that year and had to stop.

Then there's the Esterbrook box, second from right on the top row, that was a giveaway at the 1914 Stationers' Association dinner at the famous restaurant Delmanico's in NYC. Only 347 guests attended, and presumably not too many more boxes than that were made.

Not all of the boxes have a story, but a few are definitely more interesting than others.

Anyone have a cool box they want to share? They did make some great designs for them, especially over in Britain and the Continent.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »
I have lots of boxes, but I don't think any of them are that unusual, or have much of a story behind them.  I do have an Esterbrook 135 box (with nibs) which was made in England.  I know that Esterbrook did start up over here, but you don't see many of their English made nibs about.

Other than that, I like some of the French boxes from around the turn of the century, and also some of the old English boxes which had a nib attached to the front.

Oh, and I have some pretty Gillott boxes - but they're not that uncommon.  Also Sommerfield's Plume Gauloise has possibly one of the prettiest boxes ever made.  Leonardt also did a virtually identical box, but if you look closely it isn't quite as refined, so I assume it is a copy.

I'll try and get some photos taken tomorrow of some of the nicer, or more interesting, boxes.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »
I would love to see whatever you can share

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 01:20:13 AM »
Very cool display Andrew.
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
Love that, @AAAndrew!  That makes for a very pretty display!

Janis