Author Topic: Paper Suggestions  (Read 95 times)

Offline itssuzette

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Paper Suggestions
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
I'm about to take on my first project, what would be the best paper for birth announcements.  I want it look kind of like a greeting card, I just don't know where to start paper wise.  Any suggestions would help!!

Offline jeanwilson

• View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Paper Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
There is not enough information to recommend paper.
Most of all - what is your budget?
If you are doing each card by hand, you have to find paper that works with the particular nib and ink that you will be using.
If you are making one original piece of art and having it printed on the card stock, then you have a different set of issues.
If you need matching envelopes, that will be a factor.

The recent post by RachaelS about the frustration with Paper Source highlights the universal frustration of producing custom work.
It can be very difficult to source exactly what you need and the recommendations of other people are very hit or miss.
I could tell you what works for me - but I would add a huge disclaimer that what worked for me may not work for you
and the items that were available at one time can change.

Fabriano Medioevalis is a very nice paper that seems to be easy to find and consistent in quality.
Strathmore sells some card and envelope sets that are friendly with nibs and ink.

Many years ago, an older calligraphy *forum* had a lengthy thread about issues with Crane's paper. It seemed to have changed. There was also an issue with the paper having one side that was more ink-friendly than the other and some of the envelopes had been made in-side-out. So, even the most reliable papers have had their issues.

My only advice is to experiment with things that are within your budget and when you do take on a job, be sure you order plenty of extras and cross your fingers that you get through the job without any surprises.