Author Topic: Greetings from Germany  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Kukyukuwai

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Greetings from Germany
« on: January 02, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
Hello Dear “Federfreunde”,

Thank you for accepting me to be part of this special community—I am wishing everybody here the best new year full of wonderful experiences, particularly flourishing ones! :P

My interest in calligraphy goes way back—even before starting school—and although we've had a calligraphy class during elementary school, I eventually ended up writing less by hand as soon as my parents brought me the first computer. During my high-school and college days in Bucharest, I became a big fan of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, which I still am, but lately I'm rather interested in creating something more personal—especially when it comes to typefaces, calligraphy and lettering.

I am just starting to learn Copperplate. At the moment, I am using a straight pen holder which I bought from an art store here in my town and while I am still looking for an oblique holder to continue my practice of the majuscules 'with the right hand' and grip so to speak, it's pretty difficult to find one in Germany which isn't made out of plastic. I would love to give the adjustable hourglass oblique from Paper & Ink Arts a try, but I'm not sure if I should actually spend around 100,-€ given that I never used an oblique pen before. Chances are good to find here advice and louds of information which I'm sure will help me in taking the right decision in regards to pen holders and to expand my general calligraphy knowledge.

Enjoy the full moon tonight and I'm looking forward to share with you! P.S. Suigetsu (intoxicated by the moon) by Sen-No-Rikyu, ca. 1575.

”The quiet was part of the meaning, part of the mind: The access of perfection to the page.“ — Wallace Stevens

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Germany
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »
Welcome! Beautiful work! Rather than going for the adjustable holders, maybe start out with just the metal flange.

item # spdper - Oblique Red or Blue Peerless Holder
OR
item # peerls - Peerless Oblique Holder

(affiliate link): Paper & Ink Arts

I used one of the blue peerless ones for about 2 years!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
Welcome!  Thanks for sharing that beautiful piece.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:24:13 AM »
Herzlich willkommen! Drop me a line if you want – I can recommend some sources for oblique holders here in good old Europe. You'll want to avoid this customs tax stuff 😉.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:56:12 PM »
Warm welcom and great start with this beautiful work piece!

Offline Kukyukuwai

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
Welcome! Beautiful work! Rather than going for the adjustable holders, maybe start out with just the metal flange.
(affiliate link): Paper & Ink Arts

Thank you all for the warm welcome and suggestions! Estefa, I will definitely follow-up with you about those recommendations. :)

It happens that a friend will be visiting from NYC in about a month and I'll have my order from Paper & Ink Arts be shipped to his address.
If everything goes after plan, I'll have my adjustable hourglass in only four weeks. Yey! Looking also much forward in trying the different nibs I got.

The holder above I am using for 2 weeks now and it already starts to fall apart.
It wouldn't be necessarily a problem of its aspect, but it also has some weird long cracks in the colour/lacquer coat which makes it quite uncomfortable to hold/use.

I'm practicing 2 hrs each evening with The Zanerian Manual and enjoying it, but I feel like it will take a while until I can post some of my calligraphy here :-[

”The quiet was part of the meaning, part of the mind: The access of perfection to the page.“ — Wallace Stevens

ash0kgiri

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:51:07 AM »
Warm welcome and thanks for sharing that awesome piece of work.
For copperplate here's the link for you to start right away. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0
Dont forget to post your practice sheets in 'Kind Critique' section.

Keep writing,
-Ashok