Author Topic: Ink flow issue  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Intelsana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Ink flow issue
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
Hi all! I am new to calligraphy and am focusing on learning copperplate.  I have been practicing for the last 2-3 months using a nikko g nib and learned the postmans knock amy style.

I recently started to practice cooperplate using the hunt 101 nib and i am having this issue where every few strokes the ink will glob into one puddle on the downstroke and the rest of the downstroke won't have any ink.  I attached a photo of what is happening.  It happens with walnut ink and sumi ink.  I can't seem to tell if the ink is too thick or thin? I don't have a globbing problem with the nikko g.  Any ideas? I also tried the Brause blue pumpkin nib and the brause EF 66.  Same thing happens so i am wondering if i am doing something wrong.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Re: Ink flow issue
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:22:09 PM »
Get a potato and carefully insert the nib all the way, just above the gravity drain cut out.  Wait 1 minute then use the nib.

Offline Intelsana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:11 AM »
Thanks for your reply! I have already done that with the nibs. Should I do it again?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »
Any ideas?
@Intelsana
Sounds like your ink is a bit thin for the finer nibs.
You could leave the bottles of ink open for a few hours per day until they thicken.
In the meantime, after dipping your nib in the ink, take a little bit of the ink off the nib by touching the inside edge of your container to let a little of the ink run off. With less ink on the nib, it may not blob. This requires more frequent dipping, but that's how I get around a too thin ink that blobs on very fine nibs.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »
In the golden days, they use arabic gum powder to thicken the ink.  An older method was to sweeten the ink with honey.  Bonus with honey is the letters shines under sunlight but is often sticky.

Seems that the nibs have different surface tension.  If both nibs were prep'd the same, the metal coating on both nibs are different.

i would try using toothpaste and brush both nibs with a cotton q_tip.  rinse, and then wet with saliva and left to dry.  both nibs should have the same surface tension.  I would test each nib with fountain pen ink (i prefer Pelikan ink).  If both behaves the same then your walnut ink is too thin.

Follow @AnasaziWrites' advise when in doubt.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »
You're definitely not the first person to have trouble with walnut ink on a Hunt 101!  Most Sumis are suitable with that nib, though.  If your ink is coating the nib evenly and not beading up, then you've prepped it properly- it doesn't take much with a 101 (I just put some saliva on a paper towel and gently wipe the nib.  Always be gentle. :) ).  You'll find plenty of opinions on preferred methods in here, as there are many! But, if your nib is prepped well and it's still doing it, then of course turn to your ink.

What Sumi ink are you using?

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
Do you have enough ink on your nib?  The hole in your nib should be completely covered in ink after you dip.

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Intelsana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
Thank you all! I will try all of this advice.  I am using KY Series Sumi Ink from paper ink arts.

Offline Katie Leavens

• View Profile
    • Portfolio website
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
How long have you been using your nib? I often find that my hunt101 will start doing that just as it goes bad!

You could also be putting too much pressure on it. Does it still do it if you lighten you pressure just slightly?