Author Topic: Categories  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Categories
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »
Erica,

I can understand and appreciate your reluctance to clutter things up with too many categories, but as a newbie, I have a small problem in posting images in the right place. For instance, there is nowhere to post an example comprising traditional styles in equal measure, for example "Copperplate & Gothic". Perhaps a general "Miscellaneous Calligraphy" or something similar, might be useful?.....just a thought :)

Ken

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Categories
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Hi Ken!
I appreciate the feedback and suggestion and I understand the dilemma. I would suggest choosing whichever one compromises the majority of the design. Or if they are equal, just one over the other. Or, you could always post it in the general Show and Tell category.

I only hesitate because I don't want something too vague and yet, there could be endless topics for the varieties of calligraphy. If something seems misplaced, I will definitely move it.  ;) And if we find a new topic that seems to pop up frequently, we can start a new category. For example, flourishing seems a topic that would warrant its own category.  :D

Thanks again for all of your wonderful sharing! I am so enjoying it!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
Hi Erica,

Thanks for the quick response. I understand and agree entirely. I'm sure that the last thing you want is multiple, unnecessary categories. I would expect you to move anything that's posted in the wrong place. I just wanted clarification, before posting further.

Great site BTW and very easy to navigate - and thanks for your comments.

Ken

Offline flourishmetoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
I have no formal art or design background and I would benefit from learning Layout Form and Design for my calligraphy projects. Erica, would you consider adding this as a category? You may have other ideas on what to name this category. Graphic Design? Layout Design?

I love the forum. As it gets larger, so many wonderful ideas are buried deep within...

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »
That is a great suggestion Kim. I will think about the best way to introduce this. Thanks!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:56:06 AM »
I would be happy to make contributions to a layout and design category. Because I teach, it is something I try to include from the very beginning. Lesson number one is to learn the elements of design: Line, shape, direction, size or scale, texture, color, value. Some lists include more elements. A student can easily spend a week on each element. Then there are the principles: balance, proportion, harmony, repetition, contrast, dominance, unity. Some lists include other principles. A student can easily spend a month on each of these. So, the topic of design covers a lot of territory.

You might consider including a section that shows some *before and after* images. Members who want help with their layouts could submit their ideas and members who are willing to offer suggestions and alternatives could post their versions along with discussion about which elements and principles they are using.

Design is not something you learn by following directions. It is something you discover that reveals your personal taste and design sense. For example, I like a lot of white space and it is harder for me to create a piece where I fill up all of the space. So, I have a natural leaning towards one thing, but through the study of design, I have learned how to broaden my horizon. Clean, modern, spare contemporary design is not better or worse than traditional engrossing with a multitude of details that fills up every square inch. Both are lovely, but both require the artist to understand the elements and principles.

The biggest challenge to teaching design is that there are not a lot of *rules.* I notice that some students really struggle because they want clear rules to follow. Eventually, they learn how to edit the choices and make compositions that are pleasing to the eye.

Jean

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Is there a category for illuminating and/or creating certificates, resolutions, and manuscripts?  If there isn't could there be? Maybe no one else on here does that kind of stuff?  I sure would like to help and be helped in this area...