Author Topic: Is it Really Free?  (Read 34957 times)

Offline cyndih

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Really Free?
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »
Thank you so much for this forum, Erica.  I am a rookie and I love this place!!!  You have truly given us all a gift.   :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
Thank you cmccho and cyndih!  :) <3
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline BabeVivien

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Thank you so much for accepting me as a member and for sharing!!

Vivien

Offline mikecharli

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Thank you, Erica.  I just started learning pointed pen this summer and your tutorials have helped me greatly.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:23 AM »
Welcome @BabeVivien and @mikecharli ! So glad you have joined us and that the tutorials have been helpful!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
Dear Erica,

First, let me say how sorry I am that you've had these health challenges.  Being a mother, I understand how painful it is to watch our children having problems of any kind, much less the ones that will not go away.  I just said a prayer for you and your family. 

It's so wonderful of you to give of yourself so generously to all of us.  Thank you.  I'm so pleased to have a place like this to go to seek advice.  I'm 61 and I took a calligraphy class in my 20's and then life took over and my husband and I worked and raised our son.  Now, I'm starting again and this time trying to get better at calligraphy and learn Copperplate.  But, I made a mistake at the beginning of last year.  I didn't know any better, but I almost feel as though I wasted a whole year learning a calligraphy script that was a creation of someone else.  Many of the letters have never "felt" right and a year later, I'm still trying to "find my calligraphy feet."  So, I bought the Eleanor Winters book about 2 months ago and I'm starting over learning the basic letterforms.  I say all this to point out that you're right! Learning the basic letterforms is helpful and as Phyllis Macaluso said, "If you learn the classic way, then you can break the rules like an artist."  And, when you break the rule, that will be your art and your own calligraphy and it will feel right to you.  I think.  I'm not quite there yet!  I just know that the script created by someone else - although beautiful - was not a fit for me.  I would be further along had I started with the classics.  After I get this down, I would like to learn a modern script as well.

So, again, thank you so much and my best wishes for you and your family.

Liz

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2018, 07:29:46 AM »
Thank you Liz @lizabetht  for your very kind words and your prayers. I so appreciate both. I am happy to hear you have found your way back to calligraphy. It’s hard to know where to start nowadays because there are so many calligraphy classes and tutorials, etc. While it may seem like you made a mistake in where you began, it’s OK because even though you weren’t learning a traditional script, you were learning how to use the pen, how to manage the ink, etc. So the experience is still valuable never the less.

You may want to check out Salman’s tutorials as they are excellent for learning a beautiful Engrosser’s Script copperplate.

Best of luck on your calligraphy journey!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jennifer_T

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
Hi
This is my first post.  I am grateful for your willingness to share your time and talent with the group. I am just starting out again to create on online presence with calligraphy and I believe this will be a wonderful start.

Thank you for sharing your personal story about your children and the struggles you are facing. I am awed by your positive approach.
 Thank you
Jennifer

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
Thanks Jennifer! @Jennifer_T

Hope you are finding fun things here at Flourish. I appreciate your kind words!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2018, 01:49:38 AM »
Erica, I wept as I read through all the loving messages left by forum members, who truly appreciate all you are, all that you do, and how encouraging you are to everyone. You stand as a beacon for what a human being CAN be, and that is a rare and wondrous gift.

Each one of us who passed through the doors of your calligraphic home here, are touched by the community of sharing and caring you have created. We come here for many reasons, having found out about The Flourish Forum from other scribes, IAMPETH, You Tube videos — or someone who saw our struggles in another group and whispered through a private message that we’d find a warm welcome and all the information and guidance we could possibly need or want here in your “home.”

It truly is a home—and you greet every person at your door with a smile, and a willingness to help each person find their way around. I remember my first days, trying to learn how to post, and being so fearful of making a mistake. You wrote, “Don’t worry about making a mistake. If you post in the wrong place, I can move it where it needs to go. I’m here to help!” And help you did. You made it easy to take the plunge and make that first post.

There is simply no other place in cyberspace quite like this. The warmth, the camaraderie, the master penmen and penwomen who so generously give of their time to help budding scribes, and encourage them to continue refining their studies. The Flourish Forum in one-of-a-kind, and so chock full of sage information that most any question we could have will find an answer in one of the helpful threads.  

On a personal note, I have to say that you are one of the rarest individuals, and someone I now treasure immensely. Thank you, thank you, thank you for caring enough to share all of this with all of us. We are the ones so very blessed!

Debi in Las Vegas

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »
Thank you Debi (@NevadaDeb),

I have read your post several times trying to absorb every word. I am both humbled and overwhelmed at your kindness, compassion, and very thoughtful words.

Sending love right back to you in Nevada.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Andrew Davies

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2020, 04:25:04 PM »
The best achievements are attained by people who pull together in the same direction because they want to, not because they are paid to or out of some faux notion of duty that they ought to because they’ve paid to be there or been paid to be there. I love sharing knowledge and I personally get an infinite amount of satisfaction if something I have said or done has helped someone, even in a small way, and allowed them to progress from some impasse or through some trickiness.

Journeys like this never end, you just move from place to place, sometimes starting at the base of a seemingly insurmountable cliff but somehow making progress. Encouragement and support from enthusiastic friends helps no end. I’ve played musical instruments for most of my life and that brings its own challenges and frustrations. But it is all character building and coming through this makes you stronger. I’m late to fatherhood, having a 3 month old baby boy at 52. Erica, I can’t begin to imagine how you have coped with what you have had on your plate, but sharing the journey only makes it easier to cope, whatever the journey is and wherever it goes.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 08:13:27 AM »
Thank you Andrew! What a lovely response. Wow - congratulations on your baby boy! That is fantastic - no greater joy. You’re just a year ahead of me. Enjoy every moment. <3
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline RoseliGomes

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2020, 07:59:49 AM »
Hello Erica!

You are our light.. I´m a baby.. and need see to much things here, but I can tell one thing with knowhow: you have too much love to share with all of the world! Thanks for love us!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2020, 11:14:32 AM »
Thank you @RoseliGomes ! Your message warmed my heart.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop