Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4  (Read 29823 times)

Offline Anjali N

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 4
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 03:22:54 PM »
@ash0kgiri Thanks!!  I've let my practice go lately, so need to get back into a regular cadence again.

@SMK I know you must be terribly busy, but any thoughts on when you might post majuscles?   :D

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
@Anjali N

I know a number of people are waiting for the Majuscules. I will try my best to put them up this month but can't promise.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Anjali N

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
@SMK -- of course.  I know this must take such a great amount of your time.  Whenever you get them up, whether it be a month or a year, I and your numerous other pupils will be here!  Thank you again for all of your time, instruction, and guidance, and your willingness to share your tremendous skill with us.

Offline Chetwyn Clarke

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
@SMK   Hey Salman!  My practice really did drop off the past two months, but I am getting back into the swing of things.  I think the last 2 s's, the second x, the first z, and the second k are the best out of the groups of 5.  I'm not too sure what happened with 'risk'.  Still a fair way to go!

- Chet

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
@Chetwyn Clarke

You are almost there Chet.

Your 's's look good on their own but their slant is a bit off when compared to other letters. This is due to the weight of the shade being too low - remember the shaded stroke is an upside down 'c' so most of the weight of the shade should be above the halfway point. This will allow for a more graceful turn-in at the base line. The same applies to the 'x' - see the issue you run into in the last 'fox' - the shade continues all the way to the base line making it hard to turn in gracefully.

The 'z's look good but lighten up on that shade as you approach the base line.

The shade on the loop of the 'f' should be no more than a hint. Also, the top of it should be a bit more pointed. Turn the page upside down and the loop should look like that of a 'g' or a 'y'.

Keep at it - your script is looking good.

- Salman

Offline Chetwyn Clarke

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »
@SMK

I think I'm improving with the turn in at the baseline for the 's' and the 'x': let me know how they are looking.  I worked on the shade of the 'z', and the 'f'; I need to practice a bit more on where loop for the 'f' joins the downstroke. 

I finished off with a note to myself.

Chet

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »
@Chetwyn Clarke

Hi Chet - you are pretty much there. The spacing in 'risk' is very nicely judged. This is a nice example of Copperplate and only needs a couple of 'tweaks'.

1. The loop of the 'f' should match that of the 'g' in shape - i.e. it should have a more pointy end similar to the 'g's when you turn the page upside down.

2. The slight shade on the right side of the 'f's loop should be very slight. Leave it off for now - it is only for decoration.

3. The top turn of the 'c' should be as if you are making an 'o' - only make the round blob 'inside' the counter space about 1/3rd of the way down. The top of the 'c' is too tight here.

These are only minor tweaks but I think these are well within your capability so let's have just one more pass at the letters in this group before moving on.

BTW - your ink seems to be getting a bit thick.

- Salman

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »
Hi @Salman Khattak,

I had a 3 week break due to business travel but now I am back on track with practising. I struggle a bit with spacing in this group - "risk" seems to narrow, while "craze" seems to wide. Attached is my last attempt.

Thank you for your feedback!

Katja

Offline Chetwyn Clarke

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »
@Salman Khattak

Hi Salman,

I tried the final proverb in this one to get some practice in with some other letters. I like the 'f' in favour; if that is a good exemplar, I'll continue working toward that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chet

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
@neriah

Katja - you are right about the spacing issues. However, you are getting good at the analysis which is always a plus.

The spacing in 'risk' is tighter because you seem to make the exit hairlines a bit steeper there. Compared the exit hairline of the 'r' in both words - this is more noticeable in lines 2 and 3. The r-a join in 'craze' is flatter than the r-i join in 'risk' and the trend continues throughout the words.

Also, your slant is varying a bit. Look at the 'c' and the 'e' in 'craze' - the 'c' is standing up a bit compared to the 'e'.

In 'fox' - exit the hairline from the 'o' a bit higher to bring the 'x closer. Your exit from the 'o' is almost at mid x-height. About 1/3 from the waist line would work better in this case IMO.

It is good to see you have not lost your delicate letter forms. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your lettering.

- Salman

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
@Chetwyn Clarke

Hi Chet - good to see your work.

The 'f' in 'flavour' is indeed a good one. The loop could be a tad tighter though. I like the one in 'afraid' too and also the middle one in the second group of 5. To be honest - any of the three I mentioned would get full marks.

Your slant is a bit off. The long stems seem to stand up a bit while the lower loops (as in 'g') seem to slant a bit too much. Draw a few slant lines with pencil on your page for practice. It helps.

Also, the weight on the shaded stroke of the 's' should be heaviest above mid x-height. This will let you curve the lower part of the shaded stroke in nicely and maintain a consistent slant with other letters.

We are now in the 'refinement' stage with your script so it will take a bit of doing to get things just right. You are almost there.

- Salman

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Hi @Salman Khattak, thank you for your feedback.

I am getting somewhat frustrated with this group, attached is my last attempt. All in all I don't think it is that bad, but some letters are still off. I am often loosing slant on letter "k" and my "s" isn't the best - I often end up making the lower part of the shade thicker and it should be other way around. I have problem with that inverted "c" in general - I do understand how it should look and I see how it looks but I keep failing at reproducing it. I usually end up with thicker shade at the bottom, but sometimes it is off slant or straight rather than curved.

There is one thing I feel improved and that is spacing, I think it is more consistent now.

I wrote "fox" and "program" twice because "o" is wrong in first "fox" and "g" is off slant in first "program" (I tried to fix that "g" which made it even worse).

Thanks!

Katja

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
@neriah

Katja - I suffered from a very similar block when I was learning Copperplate. I believe this is because one's understanding of the script progresses at a faster rate than the control one has. Taking a short break helped in my case but then I had been at it very regularly for more than a few weeks. Your situation might be different.

To be honest, you are not going to make all the letters perfectly all the time. Allow yourself to make mistakes - it is quite o.k.

Also, the words you submit for evaluation should be your best work - you are not required to produce them all at the same time. You can pick the best ones from a whole page of practice and just submit those.

I was asked to write out a few words in basic Copperplate for an ink label recently. I filled 4 pages with a dozen attempts before I was happy with the execution.

A couple of notes about your practice:

- The blob on the 'r' and the 's' should be teardrop shaped and should taper out before it hits the waist line. It should also go a little higher. Yours are flat on the left side.

- The shaded stroke of the 'r' should come a little more to the right - it is too close to the hairline stroke.

A good way to practice for the 's' is to make a few upside down 'c's - draw the letter 'c' upside down and then turn the paper around to see how it looks. It will give you a better feel for the stroke I think.

Keep at it - your script is already quite mature, we are just polishing it up at this point.

- Salman

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »
@SMK

Hi Salman,

I got caught up in work and other things so I had couple of weeks long break after your last feedback. To be honest, it helped. I changed my approach a bit and decided to learn group 4 letters again. And to do only one word at the time. So I have been writing "risk" and its individual letters for quite some time now.

Attached is to where I got. I am happy with this one and when I concentrate and take my time, I can produce it consistently.

I would like to get your feedback before moving on the other words of this group :)

Thank you!

Katja

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
@neriah

This is nicely done Katja. I would love to see the rest of the words for this group :-)

- Salman