Author Topic: Hello from England, UK  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Vanessa S

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from England, UK
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:08:43 AM »
Hello Flourish Friends!
I'm Vanessa and very happy to be here with you. I'm currently interested in learning Copperplate, although that may become my gateway script! (: I do enjoy looking at some of the bouncier modern calligraphy too. I have a passion for fountain pens but dip pens are fairly new to me. I have a straight holder and basic oblique holder, Nikko G nibs (have ruined a couple of those and Leonardt nibs - oops) sumi ink, and paper! After doing more research I think I'd really like to try Brause EF66 nibs but first, must practice my pen poise and preparing (and keeping) nibs! My work hours don't afford me as much playtime as I'd like but I have a passion for snail mail so that is a fun way to keep my handwriting up. I haven't really got my nib down to learning Copperplate yet but vow that this will be the year that I do. Maybe one day my scribbles will become worthy of the name 'flourishes' but I know that I must put in the effort of regular practice.
Thank you for accepting me as a member, I'm excited to be here and I appreciate all the experience you've shared and plan to read through the threads as time allows.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Hello from England, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
Hi Vanessa, welcome from the North East :-)
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
And a cheery "what ho!" from Windsor.  :)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »
Welcome, Vanessa!  Seeing that you love snail mail, hopefully you'll be able to join in some of the forum's exchanges soon. :)

Offline sarah_pascoe

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
Welcome Vanessa - I'm a Brit too, from ooooop north, Manchester  :)
Looking forwa d to seeing some of your work  :). Everyone is really nice friendly, and supportive aswell as being positively constructive....and Erica's resources are fab!
Take care  :)
Sarah x

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:06 AM »
Hi Vanessa, welcome from a fellow European (Potsdam, Berlin, Germany)! Copperplate also is the script I first fell in love with. Happy writing to you!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Vanessa S

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:46 AM »
Thank you everyone so much! You truly are a lovely bunch of folks, warm and wonderful, and wow! I'm in awe of your talent and adventurous creativity and so grateful that you so freely share and inspire.

@melanie jane  Thanks for the welcome. I'm in the East Midlands. Been looking at your shop and IG, oblique holders seem hard to come by in the UK so it's great that you craft them!

@AndyT  I think a "what ho!" should always be cheery. (:

@Bianca M Thank you, I will definitely aim to participate in the exchanges but only when I feel I can make some form of decent offering. It's something for me to aspire to. I feel very humble in the presence of such talent... much like a roughly sharpened pencil in a row of smooth nibs! (: It is still wonderful to be here though.

@sarah_pascoe I'm originally from oop Narth (: although I've lived in the East Midlands most of my life. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm so glad I found you all!

@Estefa  I intended to sneak a peek at your IG and then I became enchanted.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
Welcome Vanessa! I love your enthusiasm. Looking forward to seeing your work. Try not to get discouraged, in time you will be able to keep a nib a bit longer and use a dip pen with finesse. In the meantime, enjoy the process.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

ash0kgiri

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
Warm welcome Vanessa.You have Erica's and Salman's tutorials which you can start right away.

Keep Writing,
-Ashok

Offline FingerprintDesigns

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Fingerprint Designs
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
A big welcome to you from Texas! We're so glad you're here:)

I have the absolute pleasure of going to visit Cornwall this coming May with my mother & sister. We are very much looking forward to revisiting London while we're over there as well. I think you'll find some great advice and wonderful tutorials here at FF. I had a terrible time initially with the Brause EF66 – but looking at other member's results, I'm going to keep trying! Beautiful nib.

Thanks for joining us and I look forward to seeing your work & progress!

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Hi Vanessa, I'm from good ole Blighty too.
I have one of Melanie's ergonomic holders they are very beautifully made  :)