Author Topic: Modern Calligraphy, Skill, and the Test of Time  (Read 37794 times)

Offline riana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Modern Calligraphy, Skill, and the Test of Time
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
As someone who does not have an in-depth understanding of proper execution of various styles (I'm still VERY new to pointed pen calligraphy!) I would like to humbly offer that a major part of my own personal enjoyment of calligraphy comes from knowing that I can EXPERIMENT without rules. I love trying different shapes and lettering styles, nibs, papers, inks, metallics... without too much pressure that I "MUST" proceed in a certain order.  This is part of why I really enjoy creating it.  This may also stem from my artistic background, a general rebellious attitude about "just doing it myself", and the belief that "trying it" is a great method for overcoming fear!

I totally understand that through my less than proper process I have a REALLYYYYYYY long way to go in continuing to explore the discipline, proper forms, strokes, stylings... and it definitely does not diminish my curiosity about (or appreciation for) learning the proper methods! I just know, for me personally: locked into a rigidity of only proceeding in certain steps would NOT keep me AS motivated as a "break the rules" mentality of experimentation. Just wanted to offer my two cents on a beginner's perspective... :) :)

The masterful and experienced artists here on the forum keep me motivated & inspired, as well! Thank you for sharing your beautiful skills.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »
I completely respect that Riana.  :) And I know many wonderful calligraphers that feel the same and do lovely work.

As I have said from the very beginning of Flourish ... there are two approaches to take, neither one being wrong. I personally think most people will develop faster and with less frustration if they learn the proper basics for using a pointed pen first but not that they necessarily have to learn a full Copperplate alphabet before digging in. KWIM?

But... it's the teaching others before they are ready that puts a bee in my bonnet.

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
I definitely hope so! (Although I'm pretty sure the person who designed Comic Sans felt the same way. LOL! Kidding!)

hahha erica, i completely forgot there was even a comic sans font :D
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »
This conversation reminded me of a great quote:

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist."
--Pablo Picasso

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »
This conversation reminded me of a great quote:

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist."
--Pablo Picasso

Well said, Linda! Er, Picasso! ;)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2015, 04:21:14 AM »
Okay, this a bit embarrassing.  A couple of us Brits have been puzzling over this:

My only hope is the "fad" of calligraphy doesn't become the next chevron.
We're still mystified!  Anyone care to enlighten us?   ???

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2015, 07:17:55 AM »
Okay, this a bit embarrassing.  A couple of us Brits have been puzzling over this:

My only hope is the "fad" of calligraphy doesn't become the next chevron.
We're still mystified!  Anyone care to enlighten us?   ???

+1

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
(Not sure if it is the word fad or chevron that you don't use over there so I'll clarify what I meant in terms of both! Especially for our English as a Second Language members.)

A fad is something that becomes very popular seemingly all at once. It is then used by many people over and over until people tire of it and it becomes no longer popular. Then sometimes people are even so tired of it, they dislike it. Fads tend to come and go in cycles. (Think bell bottom jeans!) Chevron is a pattern using wavy lines. If you go on Pinterest and search "chevron" you'll quickly understand what I mean!

This is in contrast to what we call a "classic" - something everyone loves and will never grow tired of it. Its beauty and endearment withstands the test of time.

I would say traditional calligraphy has proven its timeless appeal. However, some styles of modern calligraphy have already worn out their attractiveness to me! LOL! But the beauty of modern calligraphy is that the possibilities are endless and there will always be new and fresh approaches.

I was saying "the 'fad' of calligraphy" with tongue in cheek in reference to so many jumping on the "modern" calligraphy bandwagon.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »
Jumping on the bandwagon = doing what everyone else is doing, to follow the trend or what is popular!  ;D LOL!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »
Thanks, Erica! We have the fads and bandwagons... but the chevron thing passed us by.
We mostly only have chevrons on the road. I was imagiining modern calligraphy besplattered all over the M25..... S'pose it would cheer it up a bit.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
Thank you Erica.  We're familiar with "fad" here; it was the chevron bit which was mysterious.

I wasn't aware that the pattern had enjoyed special popularity recently, but it most certainly had a spell in the limelight during the medieval period - the chevron is one of the basic heraldic ordinaries by which the field may be divided on a shield.  (Ken's much better up on this than me I imagine).  In fact, if you drive on the M1 motorway through the Midlands, you will see chevrons painted on the road from time to time: these mark the boundaries of certain ancient feudal demesnes:

and are sometimes supplemented by signs like this:

This one, with chevrons or (gold) on a field sable (black) denotes land belonging to the Viscount of Giggleswick, for instance. *

So, as you say, things go in cycles - long ones in some cases!

*I might have been lying about some of that!  The basic heraldry is true though.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:55:23 PM by AndyT »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »
This one, with chevrons or (gold) on a field sable (black) denotes land belonging to the Viscount of Giggleswick, for instance. *

So, as you say, things go in cycles - long ones in some cases!

*I might have been lying about some of that!  The basic heraldry is true though.  ;)

Loved seeing these pictures! And reading about the chevron over there - so fascinating. And the last part is just every kind of awesome and has left me giggling!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
In fact, if you drive on the M1 motorway through the Midlands, you will see chevrons painted on the road from time to time: these mark the boundaries of certain ancient feudal demesnes:

and are sometimes supplemented by signs like this:

When I read "chevron"  i thought it was some esoteric reference ancient healdry that I didn't understand.   But how does the knowledge of the boundries of ancient feudal demesnes translate to modern life?

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »
Have no fear, Andy.  I have no idea what the reference to Chevrons is, either, but then I'm not a graphic artist. 
Debbie

Offline Julia K-P

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »
Chevron to me is the crest on a Praxian helm. Transformers fan ftw!
I'm a crazy little poet Yeah!