Author Topic: How do you store all the lovely snail mail you receive?  (Read 15077 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you store all the lovely snail mail you receive?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
Most of mine is piled up in a box labelled "you MUST reply to this RIGHT NOW, it has been TOO LONG!!"

and yet, it's still there ...

LOL! I had a nice wicker basket on my studio shelf which was serving the same purpose until it collapsed from the weight.  :o  :-\
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
this website (or blog) has a pretty good tutorial for a book that is even easier to use as a base for a book of envelopes.

http://g45papers.typepad.com/graphic45/2012/06/marvelously-magical-mini-albums-a-tutorial.html#comment-captcha

I've got a ton of postcards that I've been keeping and this would be a great way of making a book out of them, too.  Thanks, Jean!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
There is another thread going under a different topic that mentions putting mail onto scrapbook pages. Twenty+ years ago when I was getting started, every envelope was precious and I mounted them on complementary colored letterhead paper, put them in plastic sleeves and had everything organized in three ring binders. Over the years, the notebooks took up too much space and some of the older mail was redundant, so, I ended up pulling all the notebooks apart and giving a lot of the envelopes away to students who were just starting their collections. I am much more selective about what I keep these days and while I have a few collections that I bind into books because they relate to each other, I prefer just having the envelopes in bundles, organized by theme. From time to time, I sift through and discard a few as I am filing the new mail. I have a 4-drawer chest full of mail and I will not let the collection grow any larger than those 4 drawers. It would have been hard to just toss the old mail that I didn't want to keep. But, it was fun to pass it along to people who were thrilled to have examples for inspiration. So, if you are just getting started, and you think trading mail art might be a life-long passion, you might consider a filing system that will allow for some editing as the collection grows.

Another thing I do with mail that I am editing out of the collection is to send it to beginners who are participating in exchanges. It gives me something to put in the envelope since I seldom have time to write a note. I assume they are happy to get extra mail, even if it is not addressed to them.

I have helped a few families with the disposal of collections of art supplies when an artist dies. I intend to leave all of my things neatly organized with names attached so that my family can just make a few phone calls and designated people will come and pick up the *treasures.* I have to decide who gets the WhopperPlate pen. That is going to be a challenge.

Offline Jennifer J

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
Another thing I do with mail that I am editing out of the collection is to send it to beginners who are participating in exchanges. It gives me something to put in the envelope since I seldom have time to write a note. I assume they are happy to get extra mail, even if it is not addressed to them.

You have great ideas, Jean! I especially like this one since I am very much a beginner and just got my very first mail from an exchange. I made everyone in my house act excited about it with me  :D You are probably right on that they are just happy to get mail!
Jennifer

My instagram @topazwave

Offline Katrina Alana

• Freshman Member
  • Lifelong Learner / Professional Student
    • View Profile
    • Katrina Alana
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:37:49 AM »
I store my mail in boxes in a small cabinet where I keep all the correspondence, cards and crafts I've received through the years. I like to go through them when I have my sappy moments.

Offline rebeccao214

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »
Here is what I have been doing for about 10 years - since I started doing envie exchanges with Cyberscribes:

At the end of the year, I purchase a 36 x 24 black frame.  Then I gather all the envies I have received and make a collage of them.  For a year, it hangs in my office at work - where people are JUST astounded that such an art still exists AND thrives.  At the end of year, that one comes home to be hung - and a new one arrives at my office.  There is not one room in my home that doesn't contain a year of envies...and I adore seeing them - as some of those calligraphers are no longer with us on this earth - and my heart smiles...and grieves at the same time.  I love it they they aren't tucked away in a box or drawer - and can be enjoyed for years and years.

Just a thought...

Rebecca

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 10:20:57 AM »
Here is what I have been doing for about 10 years - since I started doing envie exchanges with Cyberscribes:

At the end of the year, I purchase a 36 x 24 black frame.  Then I gather all the envies I have received and make a collage of them.  For a year, it hangs in my office at work - where people are JUST astounded that such an art still exists AND thrives.  At the end of year, that one comes home to be hung - and a new one arrives at my office.  There is not one room in my home that doesn't contain a year of envies...and I adore seeing them - as some of those calligraphers are no longer with us on this earth - and my heart smiles...and grieves at the same time.  I love it they they aren't tucked away in a box or drawer - and can be enjoyed for years and years.

Just a thought...

Rebecca
Terrific idea.
Might you post a picture here of some of these framed collages?

Offline ElizArt

• Freshman Member
  • The pen is mightier then the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
i found a rather larger box and decorated the outside with some of the envies, then put the others into the box. Not only does it hold the precious contents but is a showpiece in my room.  So way cool!