Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 3  (Read 21834 times)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 3
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 12:45:27 AM »
@Diane Bennett

I can see the improvement in the 'e' and the 'q'.

A couple of refinements still needed:

- The bottom of the loop in the 'q' is too rounded. It should be pointier like the bottom of the 'j' loop. It really is the reverse of it.

- The eye of the 'e' needs to be consistent. It varies in size and shape. The one in 'quench' is what you should shoot for.

- The slant is too wayward in this example. The two lines and even some of the letters on the same line don't match (e.g. the two 't's in 'tot').

I will be looking forward to your next attempt.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »
@Salman Khattak

Hello Salman,

Thank you for the previous feedback.

The q and e are proving to be my nemesis. I have been focusing practice on these two letter and hope you see an improvement.

I look forward to your reply.

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
@Diane Bennett

Nice work Diane. You have the 'q' down really well now. The 'g' has suffered a bit in that the taper ends a bit too soon and too much to the left - the taper on th 'j' stroke of the 'g' should end to the right side of the shade to allow for a balanced counter that doesn't make your 'g's look like bottom is being blown to the left by an unseen gust of wind.

I am quite satisfied with your work on this group. Please move on to the next one.

- Salman

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
Hi Salman,

Thank you for the speedy feedback.  I see your point with the invisible gust of wind, and will make the necessary adjustments. 

As I move to the next set would it be ok to still post in group three also as I would like to improve the q and g and don't feel confident enough to rely on my eye for correction.

Thank you again for all the time you have spent giving me feedback, it has been invaluable to my progress.

Kind regards

Diane

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
@Diane Bennett

I am so glad you are benefiting from the process Diane. Please feel free to post your work for feedback in any of the groups you have completed. There is always room for improvement and I often go back to one of these groups to get things going.

- Salman

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »
@Diane Bennett

Diane - I just uploaded a video on the 'j' stroke that also covers the 'q'. You can check it out at: Copperplate Lessons - j, g & q

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
Hi Salman,

Thank you so much for this video.  As you know I struggled with this letter and the explanation is just want I needed.  I'm at work at the moment, as soon as I get home I will watch the video again a few times and hopefully I will get it right.  I will post the results here.

Thanks again for the video.

Diane

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2018, 03:23:10 AM »
Hi Salman,

Thank you so much for allowing me to move on to Group 3! This is exciting, and though a bit daunting, is thrilling nonetheless. I appreciate your patience. This is my first attempt at Group 3 letterforms. Slant, spacing and weight of shade are not consistent, but I know they will improve the more I practice this group of letters.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
@NevadaDeb

This is an excellent start Debi. As you have already noted, some of the 'o's slant too much.

It will help to make the loop in the 'j' stroke used in the 'g' a bit wider to balance the round shape of the 'o' a bit. The 'q's are very nicely done and the 'e's are nice and tight.

- Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Thank you for your advice and helpful suggestions, Salman! Here is today's practice sheet, my second stab at Group 3 letters.  I'm not where I'd like to be, and still working on the slant, weight of shade, and compound curves, but I think the spacing has improved just a bit. I'm really enjoying this group of letters. It's challenging and thrilling at the same time! I'm still working on refining entrances and exit strokes from Group 2, but it's more enjoyable now with the addition of the ovals, as it allows me to develop a bit more rhythm. Thank you again for all your suggestions. Your advice has been so excellent!

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
Hi Salman!

I hope you're having a wonderful trip and enjoying some fantastic family time. I'm having just a tad of breakthrough today, as I think I've begun to finally, FINALLY, get a bit of shade in my downstrokes. Of course, it's at the expense of some letter spacing and consistency, and woefully missing the baseline at times, but I'm still giddy with excitement having made a big leap into SHADE! I can really see some improvement in that much-needed area. Until now, my letterforms have been so thin, weak and spindly. I'm okay with losing a bit of consistency in other areas, as I know it will return once I'm not concentrating so hard on making shade.

And speaking of "shade," I'm a bit miffed that the slang phrase "throwing shade" is usurping our calligraphic definition in social media. Hah! Even if we don't "Throw" it.

'Tis the Season to be Jolly -- and I'm having a jolly good time in Group3, and though VERY challenging, it's new and exciting! I can see why you "threw shade" by saying Group 3 "is where the fun begins." And we thought Group 1 and 2 were challenging! This really is a whole new ballgame. No home runs for me yet, but I'm happy to be sliding into first base.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
@NevadaDeb

Yes! You have it Debi. This is very nicely done. The spacing and baseline issues will go away as you get used to it and even then it is o.k. if we don't always get it right :-)

I will point out a couple of finer points - you can ignore them for now if you don't feel like dealing with them but I want to record these so I don't forget.

- The branching of the second stroke in 'h' and 'n' should be lower. The 'h' in 'quench' is a good example. This should look like the join in 'u' when you turn the paper upside down.

- The crossbar of the 't' has a tendency to go up towards the end.

I love the brush like effect in the writing at the bottom.

Regards,
Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2018, 02:07:56 AM »
Thank you, Salman! I'll keep working on refining those problem areas, and I'm so grateful to you for pointing them out. It helps me to focus, especially when I see so many glaring problems and don't know where to start in fixing them. You've helped immensely!

And now, for today's sharing, and a funny thing that happened on the way to the doctor's office. See my attachment!

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2018, 02:44:55 AM »
Practicing in between making Christmas cards. I don't see much progress since my last posts, but considering I'm not able to practice as much this close to the holiday as I'd like to, I'm happy that I'm not backsliding.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:18 AM »
I'm totally enjoying practicing the group 3 letters!