Author Topic: To anyone who uses the internet...  (Read 7278 times)

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Re: To anyone who uses the internet...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »
Location services can be turned off, and that is one of the few things that bothers me. Most info I don't care if the internet knows, but where I am in the current moment is not one of them, so I'm really careful with my location based settings.

I've never noticed super creepy advertising, like you're describing, Erica - Id suggest double checking your individual app settings.

I've noticed it getting more accurate to me as a person, but I actually like that, I mind advertisements a lot less when they may actually be something I'm interested in.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 03:16:30 AM »
It is true that every single "smart" device we own leaks our data somewhere. But I don't bother with that much.

For me it really doesn't matter. It all comes down on turning off personal data sending for every app which allows that, being critical and not upload everything everywhere, not click on adds, never open email from unrecognised sources and never ever run stuff on your computer unless you are 100% sure you know what are you opening.

I am also sure that we don't have to become totally paranoic, but still: all of that isn't so much of a problem as long as you live in a democracy with a functioning, independent judiciary. Living in a country (Germany) that has seen not only one but two totalitarian regimes in the last century, and looking with open eyes on the News, has made me quite aware at least that using the internet is not only fairies and rainbows.

Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 04:33:41 AM »
@Estefa - I must admit I never looked at it that way. All this data collection can help governments to get info they need, but if we look at recent NSA leaks, it is obvious they don't need any help. Just from researching data from their leak it is obvious they have more than enough technology (malware, exploits, etc.) to get whatever they need from whoever they are interested into. Last month wannacry ransomware outbreak which caused problems in US hospitals and shut down half of police stations in Croatia was made possible because of exploit found in the last leak from NSA. When I compare google collecting tons of mostly useless data and showing me ads to this, it becomes pretty obvious what is the true problem.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
So, on the one hand, Google ads have been creeping me out for awhile and I know that's because of my online searches and so forth, but at the same time, I know that those ads are a result of computer algorithms and not due to the actions of a person focused on me and my habits.  I also don't have a problem with my data being collected and used for research purposes as long as it is scrubbed of personal identifiers.  On the website in the OP, when they talk about companies not selling your data, but their data, they are talking about selling the analysis, which would not have your identity attached to it.  At that point, it is a bit like someone standing on a street corner and counting how many women go into a store and come out with a purchase vs how many men do the same and then posting the result.  Maybe you went into the store that day, but them saying 50% of women who enter the store purchase something vs. 30% of men doesn't actually tell anyone anything about you, especially if nobody knows you went into the store.

In terms of law enforcement being able to access your social media accounts, well, they can also access your phone, your house and everything in it and subpoena everyone you know and ask them questions under oath.  Your right to privacy has always and will always have limits. 

One thing I find somewhat amusing is the idea that facebook is something new.  If you look at old newspapers, you'll realize that facebook is actually something kinda old done in a new way.  The "About Town" or gossip sections of newspapers were full of information about things that were happening to your neighbors.  As part of my genealogy research, I tracked my grandmother's older half-sister's mental decline and hospitalization in the state mental hospital by doing a search through the local newspaper.  I guarantee you, my grandmother's family did not ask to put, "The O family visited L at Cherokee State Hospital on Sunday," in the local paper (considering the stigma surrounding mental illness) but it was there all the same.  I'm sure nobody wants the fact that they were arrested for public indecency broadcast to the world, but it's right there in the "Police Blotter" portion of the local newspaper.  It's true that a larger portion of the world is able to see all of your business, but growing up in a small town, it was pretty obvious that privacy is an illusion that is maintained by etiquette and good manners and not because nobody knows what you've been up to.  Somebody always knows what you've been up to!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
Just watched Snowden and it is clear what @Estefa mentioned is the real concern.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
Just watched Snowden and it is clear what @Estefa mentioned is the real concern.

Did you watch John Oliver's interview with Snowden?  I generally don't like discussing him because he's a very polarizing figure depending on whether you think what he did was treason.  However, I can't help but mention the interview because it's really fascinating, for several reasons.  First, because Oliver's suggestion of explaining the issue in terms of ahem sending pictures of one's anatomy and who might then have access to those pix and under what circumstance is a fabulous example of how to take something incomprehensible to the average person and frame it in a way that makes it easy to understand.  Every person who ever wants to explain science to the general public should use it as inspiration.  Second, because when Oliver suggests that the solution, at least in the short term, is to not send those sorts of pictures, Snowden emphatically states that is absolutely the wrong course of action and that we should freely and proudly do whatever we want.  The message is to not put energy into limiting ourselves but instead to fight against the abuses of power that make you afraid of sending those private images.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline bleair

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 10:55:22 PM »
For me it really doesn't matter. It all comes down on turning off personal data sending for every app which allows that, being critical and not upload everything everywhere, not click on adds, never open email from unrecognised sources and never ever run stuff on your computer unless you are 100% sure you know what are you opening.

I'm quoting you because to me, personally, it does matter.

If you use facebook on android, then they have been collecting the information about calls you made and text messages you sent, for years.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/facebook-logs-calls-texts,news-26847.html

Facebook's goal is to make money. They do this by selling advertising. They do this by selling "articles that generate more clicks" e.g. sometimes incendiary and/or untrue articles that will draw attention and clicks.  To be fair, if you use facebook you've agreed to let them do this.

Other people might be more like you and just shrug and say "it doesn't matter"... in the end it's a personal choice, but I do wonder if people realize exactly what it is they are agreeing to.

Offline neriah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 05:14:29 AM »
@bleair - I realize very well. I have been working in IT security for years and I know what can be collected about me (and is). However, I know how much data they have which makes it impossible to some random individual to get hold of specifically my data. For that, I need to be a person of interest to someone really important. If that happens, not having facebook account won't help me much, nor most of the other easy to implement privacy measures. But most of us will never be that important.

All of the advertising is just algorithms crunching provided data. And I don't care what some algorithm knows about me. Also, I buy only things I want to have and only when I really need them. So they can put on my timeline whatever they want, no matter how shiny it is I won't look at it twice.

To be clear, I am not defending Facebook nor any other company which sells consumer data. But the thing is, laws are lacking behind technology right now and big companies can make it go away (e.g. equifax). So what is there to do for us? My personal choice is to put on internet only the things I don't mind the whole world knowing. That's why my facebook is almost empty and I am not really active on social media. The thing is, people won't stop using internet. Nor social media. If Facebook goes away something else will replace it. Until laws catch up, there isn't much you can do. Either you delete yourself from the internet, or you just become aware that your data is around and it is being used for targeted ads so you learn how to ignore them.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 05:45:05 AM »
Neriah’s Point is the solid one, never put anything online you wouldn’t mind the whole world seeing. Thank the heavens that there was no social media when I was young and stupid. Those polaroids have been destroyed.  :D
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 09:27:41 AM »
I will say as a natural health, choice/freedom advocate, sharing pictures of one's privates is the least concern regarding internet privacy. It's not about the things we want people to see, it's about what we want them to know. I'll leave it at that.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2023, 06:33:00 PM »
This is an old post But still the facts we talked about is getting more worse than before.
If you put your assets , your health , all what you do,  into the cloud you are done.
Most of us who believe we safe and free being in the MATRIX is a complete mistake.  ::)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2023, 06:40:18 PM »
Such truth @Cyril Jayant . There is no more privacy. If you own a cell phone, that’s it. My husband and I were just talking about this today.  :-\
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2023, 11:59:03 AM »
Internet search bars also make mistakes.
I typed into the search engine 'Pawn Stars' looking for 'Chumlee' and the 'Old Man' and ended up viewing Stormy Daniels doing what Donald says she does best. I hit the 'back' button to see if I had written the search wrong,.... after 20 minutes. ;D ;D ;D
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?